AR build in MA. Now AR-9!

Exactly. Overall I'm happy with the scope and the rifle! It was freezing and windy out today so we didn't stay long. I'm eyeing 5-25x for my AR-10. I want to see what more magnification is like.
well, it is really al dependent upon the purpose of the rifle. .308 is not that great for long distances, i do not know if you will shoot it much beyond 300yds - you may, of course, but, it depends.
the scope i see fits very well a .308 gas is this primary arms - it has no zero stop, but, realistically it is not needed as you can operate it by reticle alone.

there is also a 'hera' option there for MOA based reticle, but, it is a same thing.

other options, of course, would be vortex scopes in 3-15x or 5-25x, for that i gave before eurooptic discounts page. 5-25x is not great for hunting, if you ever want that .308 to hunt with, a 3-15x or 18x would be better there.

25x is really a thing on rifles that are 1/2moa or better accurate, there it may matter to be capable to plant bullets into the same holes over and over - otherwise it is not going to be giving you much. but if you get a good pst2 5-25x vortex you can always put it later on a precision bolt rig, good scopes always find a spot to be on, bad scopes - not so much.

Last edited:
Exactly. Overall I'm happy with the scope and the rifle! It was freezing and windy out today so we didn't stay long. I'm eyeing 5-25x for my AR-10. I want to see what more magnification is like.
The extra magnification will come in use when you are load testing or maybe 100 yard zero. Practical, you'll probably never use higher than 12x. Going from one target to another, especially at different distances, at 20x is difficult.

3-18x is good, throw an offset dot on it. Targets at 1000 are very doable with 10x. Get mil/mil, unless you are over 80 years old and extremely stubborn, with a reticle that works for what you are trying to do.

Sometimes too much magnification is not a good thing.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the Wilson combat super sniper 20" fluted barrel. Anyone have any reasons to not get it? Was trying to find something fluted and crowned but no luck.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the Wilson combat super sniper 20" fluted barrel. Anyone have any reasons to not get it? Was trying to find something fluted and crowned but no luck.
I may have missed it, but what's your plan? Shoot steel plates, hunting? Ultra super long range past 2 miles?

I'd go 18", perfect length.

Last edited:
@Soundwave
Here ya go.

I'd go 18", plenty for out to 800m and then some. That two inches makes a difference for weight and maneuverability.
Second that, I have exactly that - an aero upper with fluted .308 Wilson in 18”. It is doing 1-1.5moa well with garbage ammo, a good magic mystery load :) will probably make it under 1moa.

For what you want it for it will be great.
For more fun, if you will do reloads - look at 6 dasher or 6CM bolt rifle. If only factory loads - 6.5CM.

A .223 and .308 ARs are a must have stuff anyway, so you cannot go wrong.

18” fluted .308 will be a bit lighter and you will like it, I think.

Make sure gas is not carbine length- rifle length should be problem free, mine is medium length and also cycles fine.

So I just walked into some money and figured I'd finish collecting the parts for the AR-10. Looking at Wilson combat barrels and ofcourse they're on sale and out of stock. I'm going back and forth between 18" tactical hunter or super sniper. If I'm not going to be carrying this around does the weight savings even matter? Also if anyone has a lead on one in stock that wouldn't be bad either.

If I'm not going to be carrying this around
if you want precision from a bench/prone - use a heavy 20" barrel, if you want it to be more of a tactical one - get 18" fluted so it would be easier to shoot offhand.
as it was said many times - going shorter than 18" is doable but may cause some additional issues tuning up gas. with 18"+ you most likely going to be fine with a usual non-adjustable gas block.

if you want precision from a bench/prone - use a heavy 20" barrel, if you want it to be more of a tactical one - get 18" fluted so it would be easier to shoot offhand.
as it was said many times - going shorter than 18" is doable but may cause some additional issues tuning up gas. with 18"+ you most likely going to be fine with a usual non-adjustable gas block.
The concensus seemed to be that 18" was better choice. I can actually find a 20" now which was my initial plan. I won't be shooting more than 400 yards.

Seems like a great deal.

The concensus seemed to be that 18" was better choice. I can actually find a 20" now which was my initial plan. I won't be shooting more than 400 yards.

Seems like a great deal.
20" fluted is good. i have same exact one in 18" fluted - it shoots OK, around 1-1.5MOA. i hope to develop a load for it that will be more consistent than a stock factory ammo, should be doable.

Seems like a great deal.
from other perspective - i see they also have 20" criterion barrels there for $315, it is _quite_ better than wilson.

from other perspective - i see they also have 20" criterion barrels there for $315, it is _quite_ better than wilson.

As soon as I settle on a brand this happens lol. I really wanted fluted to cut down on weight. Especially if I end up going 20in. Still upset I didn't get the 18" fluted from BA for my 5.56.

As soon as I settle on a brand this happens lol. I really wanted fluted to cut down on weight. Especially if I end up going 20in. Still upset I didn't get the 18" fluted from BA for my 5.56.
permutations on the way to perfection are limitless. :)
wilson will shoot around an moa fine. criterion will probably shoot sub-moa fine.

Wilson Combat will shoot sub moa all day long. If you load hot, you'll get about 4k rounds through it. You will have to buy a new barrel sooner or later, no need to lose sleep over this now.

If you are that concerned with tiny groups, build a bolt gun instead.

If this will be primarily a square range gun, save a few bucks, buy the Wilson. I wouldn't worry too much about weight. Throw some money at more ammo or reloading equipment.

Or buy a more expensive barrel. I wouldn't stop you. I love me some Bartlein. Super accurate and fast. Did I say they were fast?

Back
Top Bottom