AR build in MA. Now AR-9!

Soundwave

NES Member
I'm thinking of doing an AR build. I'm in MA but thinking of building it with my dad in NH and leaving it there. Could be a nice father/son project etc. Besides the obvious folding stock,muzzle device mag capacity. What benefit would there be to doing it under his ownership in NH instead of mine MA? I'd obviously prefer to have it at my house but if there's enough benefit he could keep it.

Also of course looking for recommendations on parts if/when they become available etc. $1500 max without optics

Thanks!

Last edited:
I could potentially just have things shipped to him and then pick them up. Not too interested in an SBR or suppressor yet. If shipping is it maybe I'll have stuff shipped there. Assemble it and register in MA? Or is that a no-no?

I could potentially just have things shipped to him and then pick them up. Not too interested in an SBR or suppressor yet. If shipping is it maybe I'll have stuff shipped there. Assemble it and register in MA? Or is that a no-no?
That should be okay. You can always transfer it to your father if you register it in MA, but not vice-versa I believe.

There are a few manufacturers that won't ship as much as a spring to MA, however, you can purchase their stuff from online distributors, minus the lower. There's also the 80% route.

Personally, if the NH situation isn't that much of an issue for you, that's the route I'd go.

Folding stocks aren't really an AR thing, because the BCG travels into the buffer tube when cycling. Hinging and opening the buffer tube to the environment would not be ideal, not to mention you would have to prevent the buffer spring from flying out.

Collapsible stocks, however, are common in free states (including NH).

Last edited:
I would think a MA AR must be better though, they go for 2,500.00! 🤣

I did a build in the spring. It set me back $2000. When you drop $2000 in parts then asking $2500 if you sell it is not unreasonable. The problem is when people drop $800 in parts and then ask $2500 or ask $2500 for a 40 year old worn out rifle that is worth $500 on a good day.

I did a build in the spring. It set me back $2000. When you drop $2000 in parts then asking $2500 if you sell it is not unreasonable. The problem is when people drop $800 in parts and then ask $2500 or ask $2500 for a 40 year old worn out rifle that is worth $500 on a good day.

I agree wholeheartedly build wise, and a 2K build is obviously using some higher end parts.

It was the off the shelf entry level AR I was thinking about.

If anyone has a nice build they're looking to sell in MA I may be interested. Then I could just customize etc at my dad's place and help him work on his.

I'm thinking of doing an AR build. I'm in MA but thinking of building it with my dad in NH and leaving it there. Could be a nice father/son project etc. Besides the obvious folding stock,muzzle device mag capacity. What benefit would there be to doing it under his ownership in NH instead of mine MA? I'd obviously prefer to have it at my house but if there's enough benefit he could keep it.

Also of course looking for recommendations on parts if/when they become available etc. $1500 max without optics

Thanks!
No mag restrictions, no can restrictions (other than ATF)... No Sales tax

So I'm finally going to o be acquiring some parts. Looks like an upper and lower partially assembled. Is it worth buying the action jig etc etc or should I just have a shop assemble the upper?

Not that anyone cares but I think I have all the necessary parts. I got a placeholder handguard because no one has the ones I want in stock. Have a bead blasted barrel coming and looking at the VG6 556 gamma to match. How horrible will a pin and weld look on that?

While scouring the internet for a handguard like the geissele Mk4 or KAC URX4 I found this. I think it looks cools and has those front end rails I like. Anyone use their stuff before?

Last edited:
Who cares what the pin and weld looks like ? Those JE hand guards look like an affordable option compared to KAC , if they have the features you want.

Unlike a 1000pc puzzle, assembling an AR will take all of an hour or so. Start early and hit the range by 10am.

It looks like KC small arms will assemble it for $100. That's cheaper than the tools to assemble it would cost me. Thoughts?

But you'll always have the tools moving forward.
That's the dilemma. Will I ever build another AR? Will I just buy a complete upper. How hard is it to mess up the gas system or getting everything lined up?

Hmm maybe after the meeting people at the Western MA get together I can get some knowledgeable help.

Back
Top Bottom