AR build in MA. Now AR-9!

In some ways the old paper FA10s were better. You sent in one copy and kept another. Later, if they said they didn't have it you just showed your copy and said you mailed theirs. At that point it's a THEM problem. They would have to prove a negative, that you didn't send it, which is impossible unless they find the original in your home.
all you have to do is print the one that's generated for you when you hit submit on the eFA10. Far easier than filling out paper copies and mailing them. You can also save the PDF for future reference.

Looking into ammo for semis and M118 is about 1.35/round. That reasonable for upper end ammo?

Let me clarify- it wasn’t a major site so who knows if it’s a legit listing.

all you have to do is print the one that's generated for you when you hit submit on the eFA10. Far easier than filling out paper copies and mailing them. You can also save the PDF for future reference.
I think you missed the underlying point.
They could never prove you did or didn't file the paperwork. Made the requirement unenforceable.

Looking into ammo for semis and M118 is about 1.35/round. That reasonable for upper end ammo?

Let me clarify- it wasn’t a major site so who knows if it’s a legit listing.
Last .308 I bought was a case of steel cheap stuff. Not sure what anything is going for now.

I'm hoping to I put the AR-10 together next week. Started looking at optics and saw this on sale.

Anyone have thoughts? Also they offer two scope ring heights. Not sure which is better for an AR-10.

I'm hoping to I put the AR-10 together next week. Started looking at optics and saw this on sale.

Anyone have thoughts? Also they offer two scope ring heights. Not sure which is better for an AR-10.
meh.
you missed a bit sale on the arken sh4 - with 25% off it was at $350. i would say, right now, if you want a 25x scope - the EP5 for $564 is simply unbeatable. and they have MOA version even in stock now, but, do not see any active sale there.

an ar10 good height would be 'high' - 1.6".

of other scopes that pair OK with AR10 - this one:

but it costs now a $500 and compared to arken ep5 - it is not even remotely there.

other worthy items in $500 category, i would say - and i think it would probably be better for a generic ar10, unless it is truly worthy a 25x scope - means it shoots 1/2 MOA - would be an arrowhead 1-10x lpvo. if it will be a just a generic 1.5MOA barrel on there - then this 10x max lpvo will be a way better approach than a heavy bench oriented 25x glass or even an 18x glass.
truly depends upon what distance and how accurate you want/plan upon for it to shoot.

for that one you'll need a '0.1 MIL reticle' version.

Last edited:
there is also a sh4 4-16x50 arken there, that may be ok-ish for the use case and worth its price for its turrets alone, but, i cannot find any old coupon code that works - now - with with no coupon it is not worthy at all. coupons there were like 'SAVE$170' format - this one still works for EP5 if you add their hugely overpriced 'combo pack' that used to be at $169 - so it would be free, but now it is $194 that make it, well, silly. and only works with EP5 scope.

i think they had about $30 off for sh4 line before, but, not anymore.

but it costs now a $500 and compared to arken ep5 - it is not even remotely there.
No sense buying any Primary Arms optics at full price
Just wait till they have SAVE12 off code

No sense buying any Primary Arms optics at full price
Just wait till they have SAVE12 off code
yeah, of course. i only gave it as a sample, plus, after they boosted it from, i think it was around $450 before - even with save12 - compared to arken it is, frankly, junk. i have 2 of those, moved MIL one to the .22lr, and keep other one with a 6.5CM dedicated BDC reticle on the AR10 (and only keep it there because my 6.5cm load matches its reticle drop marks very well). like i said, it is ok-ish, was like that 1-2 years ago.

only grief with arkens is - they are as heavy as bricks. but turrets are very nice, and features wise - nice. and, of course - who knows how the warranty will be on them in 5-10 years.

I can wait on the optic I just got the email for sale. I was planning on spending more but saving money never hurts.
it is truly the question of what your goal with this gun, that will define the magnification and clarity required.
i dropped sh4 5-24x on the 308 ar10 i just rebarreled - for the tests only - and as soon as it will be done and i will settle on the loads for it - the vortex 1-6x will go back on it.

for a torso sized target or steel plate that scope is more then good for up to 300 yds, as i will not need to see bullet holes at 300yds with that gun, ever.

that is really how it goes, as 18x lets you see those bullet holes at 200yds, 25x - at 300yds. at 100yds - a 12x would be enough, or a good 10x. and it only matters so see those bullet holes if gun shoots close to a cloverleaf at 100yds. if it spreads 1moa+ - like most of them do - then it is a waste of magnification to have such an optic there.

I have the swamp fox 1-10 on the AR-15 SPR. I was hoping to up the magnification and go for more precision with the AR-10 instead of just ringing large gongs.

I have the swamp fox 1-10 on the AR-15 SPR. I was hoping to up the magnification and go for more precision with the AR-10 instead of just ringing large gongs.
then i would recommend the ep5 arken - as you will be able to move it around later, if you'll reconsider. right now, in a $500 segment, it is a wonderglass.
as i just got a $340 sh4 arken - it is not nearly same - pretty good for the $340 - but not great. if money diff between $340 and $560 or what it is - is the factor, then sh4 (with some working discount code) is a good buy.

i did not see so far great precision from the 308 gas gun i got, and it is a 3rd barrel on it. ymmv.

like, this is its best group from last shoot, at 100:
1656691561774.png
and here is how a great gun shoots at 300yds:
1656691598097.png

I'm debating to have a shop assemble this with everything I hear about AR-10s. But I'd like to give it a shot. It's AERO M5E1 stuff with a criterion 20" barrel. Hoping for good results. And if I join PVSC I can get to 100yds quote often and 300-400 when I have more time.

I get everything up to my dad's and realize I don't have an AR-10 barrel nut wrench... Tempted to just have someone assemble at same time as pin and weld...

aero may need special wrench, unless you`ve got a one that uses standard mil-spec nut. you've got an upper vise, i hope? something like this?
Yes I had the special upper vise block and new punch set and block for that stuff. Can't believe I didn't think about wrench being different. My AR-15 was all KAC so I needed a special wrench for that too....

Yes I had the special upper vise block and new punch set and block for that stuff. Can't believe I didn't think about wrench being different. My AR-15 was all KAC so I needed a special wrench for that too....
it is not a race - just get whatever needed, and then begin assembly.
i had my vise block misplaced a bit some time ago - and now can see result on 2 of my uppers that i just pressed in the vise directly. not nice. :)

Can anyone recommend a go/no go gauge for an AR-10 that may use .308 and 7.62x51? The shop only checks 5.56.
weird. a 'shop' does not have it, for 308? hmm, some shop.
well, first of all, .308 is different from 7.62. midway has them, but, really, i do not think you need it.
if you want to feel safe - forster is ok - get it and then return it.
Amazon product ASIN B01MDO2HEZView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDO2HEZ

do not be too surprised if it WILL close on a no-go. it may. then put a thin tape there to boost it a bit - and it should not close. the danger is for it not to close on a GO one - and it is very, very unlikely.

weird. a 'shop' does not have it, for 308? hmm, some shop.
well, first of all, .308 is different from 7.62. midway has them, but, really, i do not think you need it.
if you want to feel safe - forster is ok - get it and then return it.
Amazon product ASIN B01MDO2HEZView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDO2HEZ

do not be too surprised if it WILL close on a no-go. it may. then put a thin tape there to boost it a bit - and it should not close. the danger is for it not to close on a GO one - and it is very, very unlikely.
I was surprised as well. But they seem to only service AR-15s because that's all YHM makes parts for.

I was surprised as well. But they seem to only service AR-15s because that's all YHM makes parts for.
if you plan on doing multiple barrel swaps in the future- buy yourself a set of 3 gauges, as the no-go in 308 is usually not long enough - depending upon how manufacturer understands what the 'proper' 308 dimensions are. but no barrel should let bolt close on a 1.638" gauge.
with good reputable brands like criterion etc the probability for the chamber sizing to be botched is minimal, though. and a set of 3 gauges will be in area of $80-$100.
if you will decide to play with a cheaper side of things - then, yeah, it would be wiser to check everything before firing it.

also - note there a 7.62 GO and SAAMI 308 NOGO sizes. i never understood why it is so, but it explains why most 308 barrels close on a 1.634" NOGO.

SAAMI 308Win:
GO 1.630"
NO GO 1.634"
FIELD 1.638"

FN FAL:
GO 1.6325" (FN & Brit/commonwealth) (Canadian is 1.6315")
NOGO 1.638"
FIELD 1.640"

7.62NATO (M14 US MILSPEC):
GO 1.6355"
NOGO 1.638"
FIELD 1.6445"

Last edited:
I'm debating to have a shop assemble this with everything I hear about AR-10s. But I'd like to give it a shot. It's AERO M5E1 stuff with a criterion 20" barrel. Hoping for good results. And if I join PVSC I can get to 100yds quote often and 300-400 when I have more time.
it should be good, it has a great reputation.

I just checked my new 16” Criterion 6.5 CM at 200 yards.

Factory Hornady 143gr ELD-X

~3/4 MOA 4 shot group. My 100 yard check was also 0.768 MOA too. I used bipod and a rear bag, so I think it may be mechanically more precise but the vertical separation might be velocity variations in the ammo. The ammo didn't have the greatest SD when chronoed.

Ha yeah, only 4 shot group but I need to be judicious with ammo these days. 😆

C544A61B-8C61-412B-8505-C9D9D7933178.jpeg

Next step is to start loading my own 140gr ELD-M ammo.

~3/4 MOA 4 shot group. My 100 yard check was also 0.768 MOA too. I used bipod and a rear bag, so I think it may be mechanically more precise but the vertical separation might be velocity variations in the ammo.

View attachment 644301

Called the shop a few days ago after a 3 week wait. He said the guy hadn't even started yet but should start this week! The communication and time for work to be completed could certainly be better. I did just get the new PRS stock in so I may swing that by and add it to the build.

Anyone have a good truck for snugging up Magpul rifle stocks? My Ar-15 has a little wiggle. It's like ones its all assembled I need to somehow snug up the buffer tube while not rotating the stock.

~3/4 MOA 4 shot group. My 100 yard check was also 0.768 MOA too. I used bipod and a rear bag, so I think it may be mechanically more precise but the vertical separation might be velocity variations in the ammo.

View attachment 644301

pretty nice for the factory.
i did not see much benefit from using 143 vs 140gr, and stick to 140gr. i bet if you will play with reloads you will shrink that group down quite a bit.
i posted that before, but, anyway - it may help if you did not see it before:

i stuck with 41.8gr loads of R16 and it is so far working out pretty damn good.

Back
Top Bottom