AR build in MA. Now AR-9!

Not that anyone cares but I think I have all the necessary parts. I got a placeholder handguard because no one has the ones I want in stock. Have a bead blasted barrel coming and looking at the VG6 556 gamma to match. How horrible will a pin and weld look on that?

While scouring the internet for a handguard like the geissele Mk4 or KAC URX4 I found this. I think it looks cools and has those front end rails I like. Anyone use their stuff before?

Just got a VG6 pin and welded from Saxonville Armory. They did a clean job, although, if I'm being 100% honest, it's like 1 degree to the right in timing. More just a visual annoyance. Yes, there's a tiny lump of weld on the bottom, but you'd never even notice it unless you're looking for it. Just a heads up though, make sure the VG6 is timed correctly, as it does have an up and down to it. The logo actually goes on the bottom, which is counter to what some people might think.

That's the dilemma. Will I ever build another AR? Will I just buy a complete upper. How hard is it to mess up the gas system or getting everything lined up?

Hmm maybe after the meeting people at the Western MA get together I can get some knowledgeable help.
You'd be surprised how many after that first one🤣

I sucked it up and ordered the KAC URX 3.1 13.5" hand guard. I really wanted to keep the main pieces KAC. I just hope it covers the gas block on the rifle gas system. I also don't plan on hanging tons of stuff off the front so the lack of m-lok etc isn't a huge loss to me. Sucks I have to order a special barrel nut wrench....

I received my rifle length buffer tube and spring today. Seems to be coated in oil and leaking through the ziplock bag. Normal?

@50wt I got the Ballistic advantage 18" .223 wylde SPR barrel with the bead blast finish. Of course I think I found it cheaper afterwards and I don't believe it's a Hanson. I'm not even sure if that's better or worse though. I'm sure it'll outshoot me. I should have bought some of your stuff. If I didn't pay for the KAC upper and lower I would have.

Last edited:
So I may enlist a shop to assemble this first one for me. Do I do the EFA-10 on the lower now, after or never?
Just build it yourself, it's not that hard. I can't think of any shops in Western MA that will even do it anyway, you might find someone to put the upper together, but they aren't gonna touch the lower.

Just build it yourself, it's not that hard. I can't think of any shops in Western MA that will even do it anyway, you might find someone to put the upper together, but they aren't gonna touch the lower.
Just got off the phone with KC Arms and it seemed all good. They're going to pin and weld it for me anyways so for a few more bucks I figured it would be worth it to have it put together professionally.

Last edited:
Not that anyone cares but I think I have all the necessary parts. I got a placeholder handguard because no one has the ones I want in stock. Have a bead blasted barrel coming and looking at the VG6 556 gamma to match. How horrible will a pin and weld look on that?

While scouring the internet for a handguard like the geissele Mk4 or KAC URX4 I found this. I think it looks cools and has those front end rails I like. Anyone use their stuff before?
Go with Midwest Industries, they are high quality and available.

My dad just had surprise "emergency" heart bypass surgery and is scheduled for another procedure. Extended visits are on the back burner for the time being.
Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that. My father had that a few years back. Very rough surgery...he claims he never got his strength fully back. I hope yours recovers well.

Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that. My father had that a few years back. Very rough surgery...he claims he never got his strength fully back. I hope yours recovers well.
They actually say he's going to feel like a kid again he wasn't getting nearly the amount of oxygen he needed. He's going back to get his arteries cleared out too or something. Too bad all that pushed back the back surgery he desperately needed.

There always the next AR🤪

Also if someone could PM me some advice regarding this I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a shop in eastern mass that you can go to pick up parts I'm not to keen on ordering things on the internet that I haven't seen and am not familiar with I'd rather just go to a store and pay with cash or buy from a real human being in a parking lot as opposed to ordering something and it not being what I wanted/needed

Does anyone know of a shop in eastern mass that you can go to pick up parts I'm not to keen on ordering things on the internet that I haven't seen and am not familiar with I'd rather just go to a store and pay with cash or buy from a real human being in a parking lot as opposed to ordering something and it not being what I wanted/needed
How far east? Most stores in metro west have parts.

How far east? Most stores in metro west have parts.
All the way I live in the north shore and work in Watertown there are several shops I frequent in between but none seem to have much of a selection for ar parts I'm specifically looking to an a2 stock and buffer tube which is pretty mundane but I've had no luck finding it

Give First Defense Firearms in Uxbridge a call and ask for what you need. Dennis may have those items in stock or can get them for you.

All the way I live in the north shore and work in Watertown there are several shops I frequent in between but none seem to have much of a selection for ar parts I'm specifically looking to an a2 stock and buffer tube which is pretty mundane but I've had no luck finding it
Clearly you haven't been to northeast firearms on route 1 in Peabody (which is surprising if you live on the north shore, no offense lol). They have everything you need to build an AR except for the lower receiver itself.

@sschevy

Will this cover me for a build?

Found it $40 cheaper and with free shipping from Midway! Ended up getting the tool kit and some base layer stuff for winter for same price.

Last edited:
Will this cover me for a build?

Yes. IT can be assembled with far less, but this will make it easier.

Well I'm up visiting pops after his latest procedure. Got the Magpul MOE stock on and the upper in the vise block. Couldn't find my location on the way out the door so grabbing some tomorrow morning and then getting to work on barrel and KAC URX 3.1 handguard install!!

Ofcourse I dropped the buffer weight and spring out of the tube. Noticed it marred the edge of the weight. Will that affect use? Just a little rough spot on the edge.

So I mangled the gas block in the vise but it should be all good. Didn't have it in me to change the trigger guard. Those damn pins!!

Gas block scratched the barrel a little after mashing it in the vise... 7.2lbs 20211114_131538.jpg

Last edited:
You have a CD player! What compact discs are you spinning lately? No bumps otherwise the track skips! 💿
Haha it's an old radio my dad has in the garage. He can't even find the cord for it...but yes I still listen to CDs. Better quality than streaming!

Is the gap between the handguard rail and upper rail concerning? I figured it would be more flush both being KAC....

Also I must have a horseshoe hidden somewhere on my body because I managed to find the springs and pins that I dropped multiple times

Back
Top Bottom