• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR build in MA. Now AR-9!

Have had zero time to get to th range with family stuff and weather. I got it on target with a laser bore sight in my basement but I think I'm at 5 for elevation? Hoping to get to range Friday and Sunday.
where do you shoot, what range?

where do you shoot, what range?
Pioneer Valley is very close so I'll be going there until I get it straightened out. I also belong to Springfield in Monson which has a 400+ yard range. I rarely have time to get over there but once this is sorted that's where it will get the most use.

Pioneer Valley is very close so I'll be going there until I get it straightened out. I also belong to Springfield in Monson which has a 400+ yard range. I rarely have time to get over there but once this is sorted that's where it will get the most use.
yeah, it is very far from me. sorry.

I'm at my wit's end. Laser bore sighted at about 15 yards in my basement still isn't hitting on paper. Not sure what to do. I was using crap ammo but still. I'm not gonna waste any decent stuff until it's on paper.
At the range it seemed to be shooting high left. Which is how I had it adjusted. Re-zeroed everything and still nothing. Just put the laser bore sight on it again in basement and it's very close at zero. It's gotta be the scope of the rings. Right? Going to pick up a warne mount. I got a new grip to match my AR-15 so I'll do that all at once.

I also picked up a padded blueforce Vickers sling on black Friday but of course it didn't come with QD attachments so it turned out to be no deal at all....

Last edited:
I'm at my wit's end. Laser bore sighted at about 15 yards in my basement still isn't hitting on paper. Not sure what to do. I was using crap ammo but still. I'm not gonna waste any decent stuff until it's on paper.
At the range it seemed to be shooting high left. Which is how I had it adjusted. Re-zeroed everything and still nothing. Just put the laser bore sight on it again in basement and it's very close at zero. It's gotta be the scope of the rings. Right? Going to pick up a warne mount. I got a new grip to match my AR-15 so I'll do that all at once.

I also picked up a padded blueforce Vickers sling on black Friday but of course it didn't come with QD attachments so it turned out to be no deal at all....
sorry if it's been asked, but how does it shoot at 15yrd with iron sights? Is this a scope problem or a rifle problem?

sorry if it's been asked, but how does it shoot at 15yrd with iron sights? Is this a scope problem or a rifle problem?
I really hope it's not a damn rifle problem.... I don't currently have iron sights on it. It's not a bad idea before I go spend more money. I've got some gray Magpul BUIS I can throw on and sight in with the bore sight.

Iron sights are on. They seem a little high in my basement but should be ok at a more realistic range. Wish I could just go pop a single shot off in my backyard 🤣

Iron sights are on. They seem a little high in my basement but should be ok at a more realistic range. Wish I could just go pop a single shot off in my backyard 🤣
I have a little range out back, but that might be a little much. The animals really don't like anything too loud. Except the chickens, they don't give a shit.

Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. The iron sights should tell you a lot. I bought a blemish handguard once, had a curve in it like a banana. But, I still had enough adjustment to zero it.

Are you sighted in so that the scope crosshairs (or whatever) is hitting the laser dot? Your POI will be way high at the range. Let's say your center of bore is 2" below your line of sight of the optic. At 15 yards you are sighting in on something about 1-3/4" above the laser dot, no? Laser sight inserts can sometimes be a little wonky but not by much or the dot won't make it out of the bore.

When you go to the range, you should try hitting something close first like 10-15 yards close. I don't think it's possible to miss a decent size piece of cardboard at that distance with a rifle unless your bore and optic are lined up like this:

1670190349836.jpeg

It's an AR, so even in your basement you can secure the rifle somehow, remove the BCG, and sight through the bore at a small dot. I use the little orange paster dots from a Shoot-N-See target and stick them on a distant wall. Line up your bore on the dot, then see where the optic is aiming. Again, the optic should be a little high at such short distance (line of sight to center of bore distance, minus a little). Assuming your barrel is securely mounted on the upper, you'll be on paper at the range.

One last thing, just to be sure: Might you be shooting hot loads and light projectiles through a fast twist (1:7 etc) barrel? Under the right circumstances the bullets will disintegrate before they hit paper.

Are you sighted in so that the scope crosshairs (or whatever) is hitting the laser dot? Your POI will be way high at the range. Let's say your center of bore is 2" below your line of sight of the optic. At 15 yards you are sighting in on something about 1-3/4" above the laser dot, no? Laser sight inserts can sometimes be a little wonky but not by much or the dot won't make it out of the bore.

When you go to the range, you should try hitting something close first like 10-15 yards close. I don't think it's possible to miss a decent size piece of cardboard at that distance with a rifle unless your bore and optic are lined up like this:

View attachment 694124

It's an AR, so even in your basement you can secure the rifle somehow, remove the BCG, and sight through the bore at a small dot. I use the little orange paster dots from a Shoot-N-See target and stick them on a distant wall. Line up your bore on the dot, then see where the optic is aiming. Again, the optic should be a little high at such short distance (line of sight to center of bore distance, minus a little). Assuming your barrel is securely mounted on the upper, you'll be on paper at the range.

One last thing, just to be sure: Might you be shooting hot loads and light projectiles through a fast twist (1:7 etc) barrel? Under the right circumstances the bullets will disintegrate before they hit paper.
Somebody who knows what to do needs to look at that rig.
I suspect his scope mount got bended. Maybe.

Gun should be brought to 25yds first, looking through the bore set scope on target, zero, then move to 50 and zero there.

Original message was - windage had to be rotated counterclockwise to the limit and it still shoots low at 50. It is not possible. So something is off and it should be obvious.

View attachment 694124

I believe the laser was a little low when sighted in with scope. The frustrating thing is that it seems to be all over the place. I feel like the scope is secure in the rings and torqued properly so that should be dealt with. I tried a 15 yd. Target today but honestly couldn't tell it I highly because it was just a white piece of paper that someone left up. When I went for a pumpkin at 50 I missed for sure. I figured even using the basement I'd only be off vertically.

@paul73 when I tried the laser again after the range I was surprised to see the dot very close to center of cross hair. When I first looked I could have sworn it was almost outside my field of view!? I could have been at a different magnification accidentally.

Somebody who knows what to do needs to look at that rig.
I suspect his scope mount got bended. Maybe.

Gun should be brought to 25yds first, looking through the bore set scope on target, zero, then move to 50 and zero there.

Original message was - windage had to be rotated counterclockwise to the limit and it still shoots low at 50. It is not possible. So something is off and it should be obvious.
Yep, I bet somebody could sort it out quickly.

I believe the laser was a little low when sighted in with scope. The frustrating thing is that it seems to be all over the place. I feel like the scope is secure in the rings and torqued properly so that should be dealt with. I tried a 15 yd. Target today but honestly couldn't tell it I highly because it was just a white piece of paper that someone left up. When I went for a pumpkin at 50 I missed for sure. I figured even using the basement I'd only be off vertically.

@paul73 when I tried the laser again after the range I was surprised to see the dot very close to center of cross hair. When I first looked I could have sworn it was almost outside my field of view!? I could have been at a different magnification accidentally.
My closest club is probably too far for ya. I'd meet you at Hardwick if you were a member but otherwise there is a zero guest policy (great club, I'm OK with the policy).

Forget the laser. That shit is never properly centered in the chamber, plus it may not be aligned.
Just look through the bore at the mailbox or anything else, like a car license plate 20-40 yds away and set crosshairs to match. That will get you on a 12” target at 50yds usually.

Forget the laser. That shit is never properly centered in the chamber, plus it may not be aligned.
Just look through the bore at the mailbox or anything else, like a car license plate 20-40 yds away and set crosshairs to match. That will get you on a 12” target at 50yds usually.
I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I should have put more effort in at the range. I was trying to do too much squeezing other stuff in. After it didn't hit paper off the bat I was already frustrated.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I should have put more effort in at the range. I was trying to do too much squeezing other stuff in. After it didn't hit paper off the bat I was already frustrated.
Start at 20-25yds with that, looking through the bore first.
after you get it going through same hole at 25 - it will be easy to lower the elevation for 50. And then you can fine tune at 200 to keep 50/200 zero

If at 25 zero wanders all around- ditch the scope and shoot it with irons to establish what is loose.

Took rather forever to finish, but now it’s done. 8lb3oz without scope. Could be lighter, but, for now it will do.

a faxon 16" 6.5CM barrel - 2lb. VG6 Precision EPSILON 65 brake. brake is pre-drilled from aero, if it will shoot well i will touch barrel there with cobalt bit and seal it with a pin/solder
aero lower with stock - 2lb10oz. daniel defense grip, triggertech flat trigger.
upper with barrel - 4.5lb
aero phosphate bolt - 1.65lb

does not add up, well, who cares. when i weighted it up assembled it came to 8.2-8.3.

View attachment 690585

also went there with an aero m5 non-enhanced upper/handguard that uses a special aero made nut - it was a bit of a mistake, as the assembly turned into more pita than needed.
it uses this special nut, sold separately, that needs to be set with shims at 70lb/ft torque, to be rotated for those grooves to be exactly where the gas tube needs to sneak into the upper.
doable of course, but, i forgot by now the last time i had to deal with such shit. meh.
on a classic nut you just torque it as is then then dremel obstructing shit out. here you have to get into the actual correct groove, and it snapped my torque wrench in the process. :) now need to fix that as well.

but the result is worth it, will have that PA 3-16 scope on it for now. if barrel will turn out to be a good sub-moa i may get a lighter hunting scope there.
View attachment 690587
so, i zeroed this faxon build today, and it is not too bad. shoots exactly as expected, actually.

i made some new loads with blem 140gr noslers and also used my old primary load with 140gr hornady eldm. both were set on 41.8gr R16, speed from the 16" barrel was very moderate at 2563 for eldm and 2590 for noslers. can be done faster, but, no need. it shoots at 2780fps from 24" long bergara.

so, it was a "Faxon 6.5 Creedmoor 16" Big Gunner 5R Match Series Barrel (#10BC8M16NGQ-5R-NP3)". 2.2lbs barrel, starts thick then goes into a pencil profile.

hornady eldm - 7 shots there, 2 went throw same center hole. POA was a top of a yellow rim around diamond, i adjusted scope after that:
funny what a first shot went exactly into the POA, can be seen there - it gave such a good feeling :), but did not last.
ar10_faxon65_hornady_eldm.jpg
blem nosler 140gr hpbt cc - was a 21c per bullit, same top of the yellow rim poa - one shot managed to hit it, rest went in a circular spread around with one flyer to the low right.
10 shots, 3 grouped into almost same hole left up:
ar10_faxon65_nosler140.jpg
all in all - it shoots more than ok for a 16" pencil AR10 barrel. and a recoil is SOOOO much less than a ruger sfar, just, damn. 42gr R16 burns much nicer than a 44gr of varget.
if i ever go on a hunt - should be adequate.

and just to brag of how the real gun :) supposed to shoot - it is a test of the new alpha 6 dasher brass. 7 shots there, to measure the stats - and came to ES 16, SD 5. second shot was the flier, all the rest went through as it should. 105gr berger on 30.7gr varget, 2901-2917 fps. gun likes that node. :)

6dasher_alpha_2900.jpg

an interesting part is that 31.1gr load gives an extremely good ES 4 SD 2 at 2944fps, but the group spreads much worse. did not have time to go to 300 to see an actual longer distance spread, next time. plus it was windy today anyway, with good gusts hitting non stop. here is this bullshit - 2 to the left up, 2 slightly up right, 1 at good height but to the right, 1 to more right and up. total BS.
6dasher_alpha_2950.jpg

Last edited:
Well I shot some horrible trap this morning. The consolation prize was that I was able to sight in the AR-10! A nice guy let me use his weighted rest. It didn't fit the rifle right but did the trick. After zeroing at 15yds I was hitting very high and a little to the right at 100.

Attachments

• 20230101_114844.jpg
    20230101_114844.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 2
Any M-lok bipod recommendations? I have a UTG on the AR-15 and it does ok. I'm worried the .308 will be too much. Trying not to spend $200+.

I keep coming up with those as well. My only concern is that the legs aren't spring loaded. Is that even a big deal?
there are 2 ways to approach this.
one is to have one very good bipod and attach it when needed where needed.
other way is to have a bipod mounted on the rifle permanently.

for the first - it will be above $200 as you would look at atlas or mdt or comparable art pieces. for atlas make sure to have a non-rotating legs variant. it costs more of course, because, why not.
Amazon product ASIN B00R3OQQ7WView: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Accu-Shot-Atlas-Bipod-BT46-LW17/dp/B00R3OQQ7W

for the second - i actually found this one to be able to do what needs to be done for a tactical gun, a fake harris that is:
Amazon product ASIN B09SPZC23RView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09SPZC23R

ps. there are tons of fake chinese atlas v8 copies on amazon, but they all are pure shit as stupid chinese fakers screwed up the leg mount design and the leg ALWAYS brakes off from those bipods, brakes off at the base. i got a couple and indulge myself now by eventually breaking them, ordering a same new one and shipping back broken one.

Last edited:
I keep coming up with those as well. My only concern is that the legs aren't spring loaded. Is that even a big deal?
Yeah, to be honest I don't think the spring loaded legs is a deal breaker for me as I too will be buying one as I have finished my lower and I'm waiting for the upper I want to come back into stock. While I wait I was going to finish the 80% .308 lower I have as well as complete the parts upper I compiled.

Harris.
I put a small section of 1913 rail to mount mine. A little clunky but I like the set up.

View attachment 705137
Aren't Harris big bucks? My UTG/leapers seems to be a Harris knock off for $50. It seems to work ok. I'm not sure if they do an M-lok. I'd prefer to keep the bipods on the rifles. I found a 9"-13" M-lok Harris bipod for $118 shipped for free through Wal-Mart! We'll see how it goes. I was set on the 6"-9" but figured I may want to try some prone shooting with this.

Last edited:
Bipod arriving tomorrow for AR-10. Now I'm looking at weapon lights. The cloud defense rein 3.0 style seems like it would work. $400 seems a little steep though. With the bipod up up front I'll probably mount light on side rail and pressure switch up top? This would be for the AR-15 not AR-10.

Back
Top Bottom