• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Build in an apartment

Only tool you need is a barrel wrench and if going with a carbine stock the castle but wrench . And some thing to hold a upper ..

Other then that I built my first ar with two bic lighters , a zippo , a razor blade and a hockey puck.
I messed my leg up and couldn't leave my room.
I thought you looked familiar

Tapping block helps if you don't have a steady hand.
Also a thread forming (roll tap) are stronger . And with aluminum the threads are tougher since there not cut but compressed .

I'm pretty sure 99% of NES members won't have a tapping block, or want to make one to tap just a few holes. IMO/IME, far more members will have a tap and die set, so they'll have a tap handle for the 4-40 tap (if it's not in the set).

The hole we're talking about won't be taking much force at all, so using a roll tap doesn't make much sense. Getting a standard 4-40 plug tap works just fine for the hole we're talking about.

Keep in mind, some lowers are coming with the hole tapped already. Some are 4-40 and some are 5-x thread (don't recall the exact thread count on that right now).

I'm pretty sure 99% of NES members won't have a tapping block, or want to make one to tap just a few holes. IMO/IME, far more members will have a tap and die set, so they'll have a tap handle for the 4-40 tap (if it's not in the set).

The hole we're talking about won't be taking much force at all, so using a roll tap doesn't make much sense. Getting a standard 4-40 plug tap works just fine for the hole we're talking about.

Keep in mind, some lowers are coming with the hole tapped already. Some are 4-40 and some are 5-x thread (don't recall the exact thread count on that right now).

How hard is it to drill a hole in a scrap block of wood the same size as the od of the tap?

If you don't own a 4-40 tap why not just buy a thread forming tap? Same cost and less likely to snap since they don't have flutes that are the weak point? .

Yes I know the rear take down pin hole is a non stress point and 99% of people will never remove it.
I was giving additional information . Most people havnt seen or know what a thread forming tap is. On the sane token I bet a few people have screwed a small threaded hole in aluminum when the tap got too clogged and stripped the threads .

Last edited:
Here's a trick someone told me about that saved some pain and suffering.
Find a clear garment bag and when installing some of the trickier springs , put the lower in the bag.
You can still see what your doing, and it will catch flying springs and detents.
Nothing ruins a fun day like spending 2 hours crawling on the floor cussing .
If you don't come up with any vice options, I have one in Groveland you can use.

I did this with a baggie when upgrading my trigger of my snubbie

I thought you looked familiar

Lol ... I just saw this . I used to love that show.
I was drinking , next thing I know I'm being pulled by a shifter kart with a water ski rope and I was on my skate board . I hit a pebble and went flying . I thought I lost a nipple from the road rash . It took me 20 mins to get out of bed for a week lol . I got the last of my parts dropped off and didn't want to go down two flights of stairs lol.
Bic light to push roll pins in , zippo as a hammer .
Razor blade to slip front take down pin in.
Hockey puck under the trigger guard to knock that toll pin in.

You don't need special tools even for tightening the barrel or receiver extension. Although a AR vice block set is very helpful use it once and resell it.
Only 2 tools you need to buy or borrow. Vice block set and barrel wrench. Everything else can be fabricated or adapted from basic stuff from around the house.
For my first lower build I used nails as punches, professional no, work yes it did.
The barrel is only tightened to 35ftlbs.
Over on AR 15.com there is one of the most basic how to assemble AR step by step guides.
For the front take down pin detent you can use a clevis pin or a plastic or wood rod that fits the pin hole with a hole drilled through it.

You don't need special tools even for tightening the barrel or receiver extension. Although a AR vice block set is very helpful use it once and resell it.
Only 2 tools you need to buy or borrow. Vice block set and barrel wrench. Everything else can be fabricated or adapted from basic stuff from around the house.
For my first lower build I used nails as punches, professional no, work yes it did.
The barrel is only tightened to 35ftlbs.
Over on AR 15.com there is one of the most basic how to assemble AR step by step guides.
For the front take down pin detent you can use a clevis pin or a plastic or wood rod that fits the pin hole with a hole drilled through it.

What about he buffer tube castle nut, what did you use for that?

How hard is it to drill a hole in a scrap block of wood the same size as the od of the tap?

If you don't own a 4-40 tap why not just buy a thread forming tap? Same cost and less likely to snap since they don't have flutes that are the weak point? .

Yes I know the rear take down pin hole is a non stress point and 99% of people will never remove it.
I was giving additional information . Most people havnt seen or know what a thread forming tap is. On the sane token I bet a few people have screwed a small threaded hole in aluminum when the tap got too clogged and stripped the threads .

From what I've seen, there are far too many on NES that have never used a hand drill. I wouldn't assume they could drill a straight hole even in a block of wood. IMO/IME, threading the rear hole doesn't need any block to guide the tap. Put the lower so it rests where the pivot pin goes, then use your index finger and thumb on one hand to hold the tap while using the other to turn the tap handle. Stupid easy. Just be sure to keep the tap vertical while using it. Once you get more than a tiny amount of resistance in the tap, back off half a thread. You can use 3 in 1 oil, threading oil, or whatever lube you had on hand (I'm sure some will say to use froglube, motor oil, or some others).

For the barrel nut, I've yet to use a torque wrench on my uppers. I simply get the nut snug and then turn it until there's a good hole to run through. Typically, it's snug at about half way through a spot. Use something like white lithium grease on the threads to prevent galling and you'll be good for the long term.

BTW, if you plan to build more than just one AR, get a set of vice blocks. Just don't misplace them between builds. OR, see if a friend already has the vice blocks. Chances are that same person also has a bench vice you can use them with. I also picked up one of Fourrunner's AR10/AR15 combo wrenches a while back. Money very well spent.

Back
Top Bottom