• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Build - At what point must it be pinned?

I'm getting ready to start my first AR build, and am pretty sure I am going to purchase all the parts in kits, rather than assemblies. I am in MA, so I have to pin/weld stuff

For the Butt-stock, at what point after assembly must it be pinned? What about the muzzle brake?

Does that have to be done before final assembly so I don't end up with something bad in my possesion? Can I test fire with the stock at various lengths before I decide where I want to pin it?

constructive possession? it all has to be done before you have a lower for it. If you already have a lower or another assembled gun then it gets iffy.

I'm getting ready to start my first AR build, and am pretty sure I am going to purchase all the parts in kits, rather than assemblies. I am in MA, so I have to pin/weld stuff

For the Butt-stock, at what point after assembly must it be pinned? What about the muzzle brake?

Does that have to be done before final assembly so I don't end up with something bad in my possesion? Can I test fire with the stock at various lengths before I decide where I want to pin it?

No. Not unless you built it out of MA and conducted the tests wherever, and pinned it before you came back in. Of course, lots of people probably violate the AWB during their builds, but just realize that if you do, you're committing a felony as long as that stock is adjustable and driving the count up over the legal limit of evil features. It's completely retarded but that's how a direct interpretation of the law would work.

A better idea is to get a fixed stock that has interchangeable parts (eg, different butt-pads) to change the LOP than to do the collapsible-pinning gayness. Then again I have a special kind of deep seated hatred for pinned collapsibles, so don't mind me. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom