• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR build and MA AWB

Hi all, this is my first post here, though I've spent many hours reading through the forum. I hope this is the right place to post this...

I hope to build an AR-15 some day, but right now I'm just processing and evaluating all my options to decide on what sort of setup I want. I'm leaning toward a 6.8 spc target/hunting carbine. I can't find information about specific methods to disable the "bad" features that would be illegal under the Massachusetts awb. There's plenty of info about pinning the compensator, but there's disagreement it seems about the stock.

Honestly I think I'd prefer an adjustable stock, so I'm wondering about just disabling the semi-auto nature of the rifle. Is there any "standard" or "accepted" method of doing this? I know enough mechanically how to make it happen, but what might be considered "legal" by the powers that be? My first thought is to remove the gas tube and pin/weld a dummy gas block on the barrel. Thoughts?

Not real familiar with mass laws but i thought any adjustable stocks had to be pinned? Wouldn't it be alot easier and cheaper to do that than trying to go the other way.

Just buy a bolt action rifle since it makes no sense to disable the semi function of an AR and it isn't really feasible anyway. The AWB is based on features so with a Pistol grip and a detachable magazine you can't have an adjustable stock. There are many fixed stock options available.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bullet button? That suppposedly makes it not a detachable mag so you could then have an adjustable stock I would assume.

That McMillan Target Rifle is pretty slick. Though, I still want to build something for the sake of building it, even if others think it's silly...or maybe it's BECAUSE some think it's silly. ;) From what I understand, if the gun is incapable of firing semi-automatic then it can have as many of the other features as I want (bayonet lug, flash hider, etc). Then, if/when I move out of state it'd be easier to convert an AR platform back to semi-auto than it would be to convert a true bolt-action. I tend to shoot slow and deliberate anyway, one shot at a time.

But still, I wonder what mods would be considered permanent enough in this state. If it's too much of a grey area then of course I'll just pin the stock - but again, what is considered enough? A set screw? A roll pin? A blind roll pin epoxied over? Should I be asking a MA gunsmith these questions?

If I had to choose between an adjustable stock and semi-auto capability, I would choose semi-auto. There are some nice fixed stocks out there.

Use an Ace Skeleton Stock, stocks swap out easy if you move and really think you need adjustable. Bayo lug is a worthless feature. Picatinny accessories abound including bayonets if you want. I think the rifle should be a rifle and not a poorly executed spear. The only features that are truly worthwhile in a 223 carbine is the pistol grip for easier control from proper firing positions and a detachable mag for quick reloading. All else is cosmetic bs. Build a rifle, buy a crate of ammo and learn to be proficient with that rifle. Forget about mounts and bipods and scopes and lasers and other such nonsense until you are positive you can strike a moving 2 foot square from 300 yards with 2 out of 3 shots. THIS a Rifleman makes.

n1heu, good points, thanks. I don't want to fall into that accessorizing mindset either. I think I liked the idea of a collapsible stock for portability, but then I suppose it wouldn't make that much difference.

Back
Top Bottom