AR buffers

Rugerfan

NES Member
I need help. I am starting an AR build. I have the lower receiver, parts kit is coming for that. I want to use A2 stock, so will order that. What I need to know is about buffers/springs. I may be using carbine length barrel and gas system on the upper. Most A2 stocks I see that come with buffers and springs either don't state type or say rifle. Is there a difference?

While I'm asking questions, does anyone make a complete upper in post ban config, crowned barrel and mid or rifle length gas system? I would really prefer this config, but have had no luck so far. I really don't want a brake on the muzzle, nor need one.

As you can guess, this is for a Mass. build.

The butt stock and barrel length /gas length don't effect each other.

If you want a a2 style stock just buy a a2/rifle , buffer tube, buffer , spring .
The different weights just effect felt recoil and I think full auto rate of fire.

I have a 16 barrel carbine gas length with a rife stock . I've tossed a bunch of different uppers on it with no problems .

A lot of times it's easier and cheaper to just build the upper the way you want it.

The A2 stock will come with a rifle buffer. I use one of these on one of my carbine gas builds. My only issue with it is the A2 stock is crazy loud with the "srpoing". None of my other stocks are. I did find that after putting a FA bolt carrier in it the weight was a little much for the carbine gas and the rifle buffer. The gun shot great but would not lock the bolt open on the last round. I bought a reduced power spring from JP Enterprises (I think that is what its called) and now all is well again, bolt locks open on last round and the gun shoots great.

I have had a terrible time finding target crowned barrels. I also didn't want a brake but ended up with it on a couple of builds as I couldn't find a barrel. I do have one with a target crown but the others have a pinned and welded comp. I just grind off the bayo lug and re-blue, very easy.

A2 stocks usually use a rifle length buffer tube. Personally I prefer using a carbine length and adding an extension when using a magpul PRS stock. That gives me the flexibility of using a rifle and carbine setup on the lower.

What type of barrel do you want? If you are looking for a bull barrel in rifle length, check out the Stag Arms model 6 upper:
https://www.stagarms.com/model-6h/

Never had the problem of the bolt not locking back with a rifle length stock and carbine gas system . That's with a non adjustable piston setup that dumps all the pressure . And with a normal gas tube .
Both with a fa bolt .

Never had the problem of the bolt not locking back with a rifle length stock and carbine gas system . That's with a non adjustable piston setup that dumps all the pressure . And with a normal gas tube .
Both with a fa bolt .

I had a similar situation with a higher end build I did with a BCM mid length 16" barrel. I had an H3 buffer it in and it shot great. I switched from a semi to a FA BCG and the bolt wouldn't lock on last round. I dropped to an H1 or some other buffer that was lighter than an H3 but heavier than carbine and all was well again. I have putzed around with various buffers, stocks, BCGs and springs on 3 different builds (2 carbine 1 mid) finding the combo that feels the best but still functions properly. I just found a carbine buffer in my carbine builds seemed to shoot rough until I added weight to the BCG or buffer or both. After that they felt much nicer to me.

Thank you all. Just what I needed to know about the buffers. Now to find the barrel or complete upper of my dreams.

Thanks again.

If you happen to find a barrel or upper that has a flash hider or other muzzle device already attached, don't forget that there are places like Pullman Arms that can cut and crow the barrel for you. I'm sure there are others who can do it as well. Here is a link of someones barrel that they cut down and re-crowned.

I would look around before buying the A2 stock. I find the ACE skeleton stock more to my liking, for about $65 and the Magpul MOE stock for about $50 even better.

The Ace Skeleton stock does look nice as well. Still tying to decide. I finally found enough complete uppers that do not have a muzzle device to actually have a choice.

Anybody care to chime in on the pros and cons of a slick sided upper? I like the look. From what I have seen and heard, the forward assist is rather not needed, or at least very rarely. I do not plan on this being a critical use weapon. I have shotguns and handguns for home defense. The AR may be used for hunting on occasion.

99% of people using AR's at the range will never touch their forward assist other than when they install it on their upper receiver.

If you gonna be out in the woods etc I'd get a ar upper with a ejection port door.
Ar's like to wet and of you drop it hunting you might get junk in it.

At the last car shoot the lube I was using turned to a sludge and the forward assist didn't do shit lol .

+1 on the ejection port cover. Also, I am partial to the forward assist. I have never needed to use one, but like to have the option. I once bought a "slick" upper but never used it because I realized that I preferred the military style uppers. These features cost a little more but do not hamper the operation of the rifle in any way and are always there if you need them.

Back
Top Bottom