• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Buffer Help

not new guy

NES Member
I'm looking for a little help in finding the right buffer for my setup.

The rifle is an LMT 16" CQB MRP piston gun, with a mil-spec tube and a pinned collapsible stock. I currently have a 3.9oz "Carbine - Heavy" buffer in there, but I didn't put much thought into what I was buying when I grabbed it.

I originally had it setup with an A2 stock, but when I switched over I sort of just guessed at the buffer when I was putting the parts list together. I haven't been able to find much online as far as suggestions go for this gun, and I haven't been having any real issues with the heavy buffer, but figured I'd see if anybody on here had any suggestions/alternatives.

If it works, leave it alone. If you want to experiment, buy different weight buffers and try them all. You'll be looking for a softest recoil while maintaining functionality with the weakest ammo you're using. There is no universal rule to determine the best buffer for the particular type of weapon.

I would have used the heavy buffer too. If you shoot a lot of really wimpy ammo you might need a lighter one, but you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

I don't grease or oil buffers or buffer springs. I know some guys do but I see no benefit.

I would have used the heavy buffer too. If you shoot a lot of really wimpy ammo you might need a lighter one, but you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

I don't grease or oil buffers or buffer springs. I know some guys do but I see no benefit.

I tend to shoot 62gr almost exclusively, so it sounds like I can save myself the expense of changing things up. Thanks.

I've grown accustomed to hearing the boooooooiiiing through the headphones after each shot. I can't imagine shooting without hearing it at this point.

I believe LMT uses the standard buffer in all their builds. I use a heavy with my 14.5" LMT gas upper and it works fine. I did put a little grease on the recoil spring per LMT instructions when installing the SOPMOD stock. It's suppose to help break-in for a new spring/tube.

If you want, try one then the other and see if it changes the direction of the brass ejection.

I believe LMT uses the standard buffer in all their builds. I use a heavy with my 14.5" LMT gas upper and it works fine. I did put a little grease on the recoil spring per LMT instructions when installing the SOPMOD stock. It's suppose to help break-in for a new spring/tube.

Sort of unrelated story, but the LMT lower I got came with the A2 stock. When I went to swap it out I couldn't for the life of me get the A2 buffer tube off. I looked online and tried everything - the proper tool, strap wrenches, freezing it, etc. I contacted LMT and they had no idea. Eventually I had to crush the tube itself in a bench vise to get it twisted off. It looked like the threads on the tube had some sort of paint or enamel baked on.

Sort of unrelated story, but the LMT lower I got came with the A2 stock. When I went to swap it out I couldn't for the life of me get the A2 buffer tube off. I looked online and tried everything - the proper tool, strap wrenches, freezing it, etc. I contacted LMT and they had no idea. Eventually I had to crush the tube itself in a bench vise to get it twisted off. It looked like the threads on the tube had some sort of paint or enamel baked on.

Was it red? Could be high strength loctite. Was it new. I would hope LMT wouldn't use red loctite on a build. Loctite has it's uses but it's often considered a fix for bad machining (loose tolerances).

Last edited:
Was it red? Could be non-moveable loctite.

Nope - black. LMT said that they don't use loctite or any other adhesives, they just tighten them down to mil-spec. My guess is that they twisted it together while something was still wet, but who knows.

What about hydraulic? Are they worth a damn?

I don't know how much a damn costs.

A hydraulic buffer, in theory, does two things: reduce recoil and slow down the cyclic rate. You probably don't have a class 3 lower so cyclic rate probably doesn't matter that much. The only time that I could think you'd need recoil reduction on a .223 would be if you were shooting 3 gun very competitively and needed to shave a few hundredths off of your split times.

All in all there are better things to spend $100 on in my opinion.

Semi-related question: My custom built AR is ejecting shells to about 1 o'clock pretty consistently. Haven't had any issues with function, but I have read some mixed answers on various sites saying ejection should be 3 to 5 o'clock.

Could the 1 o'clock ejection mean the BCG is moving too fast, and I should get a heavier buffer? Or is the 1 o'clock ejection nothing to worry about?

ETA: 18" barrel with rifle length gas tube, A2 stock kit from Stag (which I think is a standard buffer), Young Mfg NM BCG.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a little help in finding the right buffer for my setup.

The rifle is an LMT 16" CQB MRP piston gun, with a mil-spec tube and a pinned collapsible stock. I currently have a 3.9oz "Carbine - Heavy" buffer in there, but I didn't put much thought into what I was buying when I grabbed it.

I originally had it setup with an A2 stock, but when I switched over I sort of just guessed at the buffer when I was putting the parts list together. I haven't been able to find much online as far as suggestions go for this gun, and I haven't been having any real issues with the heavy buffer, but figured I'd see if anybody on here had any suggestions/alternatives.

What does LMT recommend for a buffer?

Semi-related question: My custom built AR is ejecting shells to about 1 o'clock pretty consistently. Haven't had any issues with function, but I have read some mixed answers on various sites saying ejection should be 3 to 5 o'clock.

Could the 1 o'clock ejection mean the BCG is moving too fast, and I should get a heavier buffer? Or is the 1 o'clock ejection nothing to worry about?

ETA: 18" barrel with rifle length gas tube, A2 stock kit from Stag (which I think is a standard buffer), Young Mfg NM BCG.

As long as they're ejecting I wouldn't worry about it. They're probably bouncing off of your brass deflector anyway.

The where-the-brass-falls analysis is kind of like reading tea leaves or using a dowsing rod to find water. Try a heavy if you like just to see what happens but if it works then that's what counts.

I think it's worth making mental of notes some things to establish a baseline for normal. Then if you see changes you might need to do some cleaning or other maintenance. Like how far does the brass fly, which direction does the brass fly, how deep is the firing pin dent, is the extractor marking the brass, is the brass warped, does each round sound the same? My WASR-10 running on surplus would sound like an out of tune piano [smile]

If I have a failure to feed I mark the bottom of the mag with a pencil. Odds are it's that mag and the hash marks add up.

Some ejection videos:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...CCESS!!!!!!!?p=2068811&viewfull=1#post2068811

I have a lot of the same parts on mine (18" WOA SPR barrel, Young BCG, etc). Mine ejects at 3 to 4 o'clock pretty consistently and I have a rifle length tube, spring and buffer. I'd suggest swapping it out. If you want to meet at HSC sometime, you're welcome to try the upper on my lower.

The where-the-brass-falls analysis is kind of like reading tea leaves or using a dowsing rod to find water. Try a heavy if you like just to see what happens but if it works then that's what counts.

I think it's worth making mental of notes some things to establish a baseline for normal. Then if you see changes you might need to do some cleaning or other maintenance. Like how far does the brass fly, which direction does the brass fly, how deep is the firing pin dent, is the extractor marking the brass, is the brass warped, does each round sound the same? My WASR-10 running on surplus would sound like an out of tune piano [smile]

If I have a failure to feed I mark the bottom of the mag with a pencil. Odds are it's that mag and the hash marks add up.

Some ejection videos:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...CCESS!!!!!!!?p=2068811&viewfull=1#post2068811

Awesome, thanks for the info!

I have a lot of the same parts on mine (18" WOA SPR barrel, Young BCG, etc). Mine ejects at 3 to 4 o'clock pretty consistently and I have a rifle length tube, spring and buffer. I'd suggest swapping it out. If you want to meet at HSC sometime, you're welcome to try the upper on my lower.

Ahh interesting, so you think I should try a heavier buffer?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom