• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR break in

Ok just wondering if there is a certain break in procedure for an AR... Never had an AR before and going to pick up my first tomorrow... Kinda an AR dummy I guess. Also I bought some 556 NATO for it. What's the NATO stand for? It's green tipped if that make a difference.

Its a Stag decked out with Magpul accessories. Will post some pics after I pick it up tomorrow.

thanks,
Mike

1. Pick up AR
2. Pick up mags
3. Pick up ammo
4. Load ammo into mags
5. Empty mags downrange
6. Repeat 1-5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Is the barrel brand spanking new?

If so you may want to do some barrel break in. What bison recommended for me was shoot a round, solvent and bore snake the barrel, shoot 3 rounds, repeat solvent bore, 5 rounds, ten rounds, then magazine.

NO!
Shoot one bullet.
Clean.
Shoot second bullet.
Clean.
Let cool.
Shoot third bullet.
Clean.
Shoot fourth bullet.
Clean.
Let cool.
Etc.
[rofl]

Run a patch or two down the bore, squirt a bunch of oil on the BCG, and shoot the piss out of it. Repeat as necessary.

NATO - North Atlantic Treaty Organization. 5.56 NATO is just the standard military round for all NATO countries. The green tip stuff is a 62 grain bullet with a lead and steel core. Also can be found as SS109 or M855.

Your Stag barrel should be marked "5.56" on it somewhere, so it is fine to use either 5.56 NATO ammo or .223 Rem. ammo.

I had the same question on my 1911 a few months ago. Answers ranged from ridiculous babying(on a 1911 forum) to SCREW IT, RUN IT!!( here[rofl]). I decided to stop worrying about it, and commenced to pound that gun like it was rented for 500 rounds, then again the next week.

Gun shoots like a dream, I say just shoot the damn thing.

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

Steps to follow
1. Read owners manual
2. Clean your firearm......new rifles are far from clean this also gets you acquainted with your new item
3. Lube your rifle
4. Go to range and shoot. I will give my bore a wet patch and dry patch wipes then a oil patch before going in the safe..then a dry patch when it comes out to play again
Tech Notes this link gets you to a host of info.
For the record ARs don't need to be cleaned often. Really. My range beater went 3k rounds before a gave more than a bore swipe. I only cleaned it as I was starting to get dirty handling it. Steel case ammo diet.

Back
Top Bottom