• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR based "SpaceGun", IE, the semi-auto "Ugly Stick"

She's finally done, hopefully do a bit of sighting in tomorrow, weather permitting.

Final build list

S&W M&P lower receiver
WOA LPK (minus trigger group)
X-Treme 2stage match rifle trigger (~ 1.5-2lb 1st stage, just shy of 1lb second stage)
KNS Anti-Walk/oversized pins
Magpul B.A.D. right hand bolt release
Oversized magazine release
Sierra Precision pistol grip, recontoured to fit my hand, and stippled (by me)
WhiteOak adjustable buttstock assembly
WhiteOak Precision match rifle upper, .223Rem, with bolt carrier mounted charging handle
Lipski Rear Sight Base
Warner #2 rear sight, SR directions
Gehmann 510 rear iris and 35mm anti-glare tube
Stallings Machine 30mm RightSight, with glare tube and sun shade, +0.5diopter lens

i think that's the complete list. honestly it's taken so long to get all the parts in i've kinda lost track. i'm thoroughly looking forward to actually shooting it.

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

stippled.jpg

(perhaps i'll find my SLR too, and take some non-cell-phone pictures lol)

When are you going to stop skimping on your gear? LoL, just joking.

I'm sure it will shoot as good as it looks! Enjoy the dark side. [smile]

B

My advice: DON'T SHOOT THAT THING!

You will like it way too much. You're young, so maybe it's not as big a difference on the eyes, but an aperature front is SOOOOOOO much easier to see.
Go Distinguished first, then play around on the Dark Side.

You will like it way too much. You're young, so maybe it's not as big a difference on the eyes, but an aperature front is SOOOOOOO much easier to see.

You and your clean living! NO fun what so ever. [laugh]

B

Why not a HAGAR, 6WOP or 6mmAR?

B

Read about (and heard via Charlie T) about way too many problems with the 6Hagar / 6WOP. The only reason I didnt go 6mm right off the bat is that i accept the fact that it's gonna take me a while to figure out exactly how I want to shoot this thing...so why not burn the cheap(er) ammo learning all the adjustments, and move to a 6mm when I can outshoot the .223. When I do, I'll just have John send me a 7.62x39 bolt and a new wilson barrel in 6RAT.

I dunno, with this new MicroSight coming, there won't be any difference anymore, right? [laugh]

It's a play toy for now. I'll shoot EMRL with it, maybe a league match here and there. Once the season starts, it's back to SR for me. I have every bit of faith that I'll bring home a gold medal this year in the NTI....and we're (hopefully) gonna have ourselves some fun...and bring up a Rattle Battle team this year :D

Now I really have to re-take those pictures. Just noticed (and fixed) the fact that I put the RightSight on backwards. dur.

Enjoy it. I had a .223 space gun I use to shoot before I went to a 6.5mm. As it is it should take you to HM with your eyes closed. [smile]

Accept nothing less than a 10. The gun is capable of it.

B

Enjoy it. I had a .223 space gun I use to shoot before I went to a 6.5mm. As it is it should take you to HM with your eyes closed. [smile]

Accept nothing less than a 10. The gun is capable of it.

B

6.5 eh? in a gas gun? hrmm. grendel i assume?

all my guns are capable of 10's. i need to spend more time on the ball and dummy drills. 90% of the time now, if i put out a 9, it's right down at 5 oclock. i'm lunging into it just a tad.

I bought an ar-10 after snatching defeat from the jaws of victory more times than I can count at 600. Gave away the .308 barrel and got a .264 Krieger chambered in a wildcat.

The next year I dropped something absurd like 12 points total at 600. Thing was a hammer with 142 Sierras.

B

somethings missing,,,,,hmmmm the whole gun needs to be done in that green, maybe some faint ghost like graphics....I just see a ghost flame gob on that thing. I like tricked out guns. I have often wondered about peep/globe sites on a AR? I have a old remington 512 with redfield olympic peep and globe sights and its a nice set up to use. I just have to get around to getting more inserts.

PS: Is it me or does this set up have a charge handle and a bolt handle and a forward assist........Im going to quess that the chargehandle is some sort of fake or plug so no gases get back there into your face ??? Im am just getting into base line ARs. I do like to know what else is out there though.

Last edited:
somethings missing,,,,,hmmmm the whole gun needs to be done in that green, maybe some faint ghost like graphics....I just see a ghost flame gob on that thing. I like tricked out guns. I have often wondered about peep/globe sites on a AR? I have a old remington 512 with redfield olympic peep and globe sights and its a nice set up to use. I just have to get around to getting more inserts.

PS: Is it me or does this set up have a charge handle and a bolt handle and a forward assist........Im going to quess that the chargehandle is some sort of fake or plug so no gases get back there into your face ??? Im am just getting into base line ARs. I do like to know what else is out there though.

forward assist will likely never be used. charging handle IS still functional, but the adjustable cheek piece on the stock blocks it, hence the need for a side bolt. If someone actually made a plug for it, I'd use it, but there's no such thing AFAIK.

Well, she shoots :)

quick zero @ 100yds, then moved out to 200yds. unfortunately i forgot my mat (and shooting prone on concrete when its 25 degrees outside doesnt lend itself to a super comfortable and stable position). made do, and proceeded to get a solid 200yd zero. wasnt too far off (first shot was a 9 @ 2oclock). finished out @ 199x14. overall pretty happy :)

IMAG0053.jpg

while i was at it, i swung by Hunt's Photo in melrose last night, and grabbed a small Pelican case for my sights. not super fond of pick-n-pluck foam, but it'll do the job for this stuff.

IMAG0054.jpg

Last edited:
Remsport, so is it possilbe to do a ambi bolt handle AR upper ? or should I say cost effective.

oohh, ambi I like....I may have my next target build....really what is up with the grizzly win mag. I really hate/love finding new things. I have no need for a 45 win mag handgun but just because, I like it its just different....thank god I have lacOfundis or I would have a badcase of uselessshitism

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom