• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Barrel Suggestion

What's your intended use?

1:7 will shoot just about every available load in 5.56/.223 pretty well, including all the heavy stuff. 1:9 will excel with lighter (~55gr) loads, and will not generally shoot anything heavier very well.

Non-chromed barrels tend to be more accurate, but less shit-resistant. A chrome-lined barrel will be slightly less accurate (how much depends on the quality of the chrome lining), but more weather/corrosion resistant on the inside.

I decided to install a Wilson stainless 1/8 on my final project upper.....I have same barrel on my service rifle for competition.
End use is key. On my carbine build I used a chrome lined 69.00 barrel. It shoots as intended. Good enough.

OK, going with a 1:7 twist rate... Now, is it worth the extra $20 bucks to go chrome lined over non chromed.... Hmmmm....
Primary purpose will be for HD and zombies.

Who's barrel is it? You don't seem like you know much about what you're ordering.

I'd just bite the bullet and order a DD lightweight CHF barrel with a pinned low pro gas block.

Mike

Not with a AR barrels but I have them on a garand and 1903a3 seem to shoot well. Off the rest the a3 holds sub 2" with surplus.

1:7 chrome lined unless you are a serious long distance shooter. I second other folks who suggested BCM barrels.

Depends on the caliber but i am guessing 5.56/.223. I have a 223 wylde from Wilson that is 1:8. A 5.56 that is 1:7 for heavier loads

BCM has several good barrel options too. They have standard and hammer forged 16" mid's in stock, including lightweight, as well as a bunch of other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom