• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR/AK wall mount lock with trigger guard

As I read all you need is a trigger lock.
Say you have one of these where the firearm is locked to the wall and the trigger is not accessible but the magazine could be removed. (Think shotgun mount with accessible ammo) Would this be a violation due to the large cap magazine being accessible and the fire code ammo storage ?

I am not so worried about the obscure prosecution. More of say I stoke out and the setup is spotted would I have a 90%+ chance of nothing happening?

The only requirement is that the firearm is in a locked container or has a lock that makes it impossible to fire IF there are children or non-licensed individuals residing in your home. In other words, if you leave alone or with a licensed adult, there is no requirement for keeping firearms locked up.
There is also no regulation on the storage of magazines. The only storage requirements to be aware of are related to ammunition.

The only requirement is that the firearm is in a locked container or has a lock that makes it impossible to fire IF there are children or non-licensed individuals residing in your home. In other words, if you leave alone or with a licensed adult, there is no requirement for keeping firearms locked up.
There is also no regulation on the storage of magazines. The only storage requirements to be aware of are related to ammunition.

I'm going to disagree with your interpretation of the MGLs on storage.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131L

The verbiage from Paragraph a states

"It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user."

There's no qualification in the statute that any other person other than owner/authorized user must be present or residing in your home for the storage requirements to apply. They always apply.

I've heard it argued that large capacity magazines need to be locked up as well, but that is not specifically in the MGLs. The argument ran with the theory that since you need an LTC to possess the large caps, and everything else you need an LTC for needs to be locked up so should the mags. More Massprudence than state law.

CATI - my answer would be that yes, if your wall lock renders the weapon inoperable while installed it's fine under MGLs. Magazine is your call - not required by MA law. Ammo storage CMR requires being locked up unless in use. My thinking is that in a magazine intended for ready deployment in a properly secured weapon is indeed 'in use', and therefore exempt from the CMR.

I'm going to disagree with your interpretation of the MGLs on storage.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131L

The verbiage from Paragraph a states

"It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user."

There's no qualification in the statute that any other person other than owner/authorized user must be present or residing in your home for the storage requirements to apply. They always apply.

I've heard it argued that large capacity magazines need to be locked up as well, but that is not specifically in the MGLs. The argument ran with the theory that since you need an LTC to possess the large caps, and everything else you need an LTC for needs to be locked up so should the mags. More Massprudence than state law.

CATI - my answer would be that yes, if your wall lock renders the weapon inoperable while installed it's fine under MGLs. Magazine is your call - not required by MA law. Ammo storage CMR requires being locked up unless in use. My thinking is that in a magazine intended for ready deployment in a properly secured weapon is indeed 'in use', and therefore exempt from the CMR.
Thanks..
I think I am going to weld on an extension to the mount to prevent the magazine from dropping out. I thought a read something before about allowing high capacity magazine to get into the hands of unlicensed people.
Probably not needed but... Massachusetts.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have a relevant question. I have a great k98, but I'm ruining it with how much I shot it, I want to "retire" it and mount it but given my issues regarding "improper storage" I'm naturally hesitant. I feel like I've seen the answer before, but would removing the firing pin from the bolt be enough to protect me should some dickheads in a windbreaker decide to come thru to see if I decided to start straw purchasing or god forbid I have another medical emergency?

Don't get me wrong, Neil Tassel was great to work with, but I'd rather not have to hire him again haha.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have a relevant question. I have a great k98, but I'm ruining it with how much I shot it, I want to "retire" it and mount it but given my issues regarding "improper storage" I'm naturally hesitant. I feel like I've seen the answer before, but would removing the firing pin from the bolt be enough to protect me should some dickheads in a windbreaker decide to come thru to see if I decided to start straw purchasing or god forbid I have another medical emergency?

Don't get me wrong, Neil Tassel was great to work with, but I'd rather not have to hire him again haha.
Send like a great way to buy Neil a car. In MA, I'd try to find something like this, if I wanted the appearance of being unlocked.

Amazon product ASIN B00QL1AMVYView: https://www.amazon.com/Omega-Internal-Chamber-Semi-Auto-Pistol/dp/B00QL1AMVY

IANAL, but I believe that a "Minor repair" being needed is the same as leaving it unsecured. I'd say that since Mauser bolts are easy to obtain, a functional bolt being tossed in would be a minor repair.

I'd put on a trigger lock, though it uglies it up.

Back
Top Bottom