AR 22 - pros cons?

excluding that it is the only legal AR in MA now, why would someone want one?
Pretty much "sell" it to me. What are the main uses? What would I not like about it?

excluding that it is the only legal AR in MA now, why would someone want one?
Pretty much "sell" it to me. What are the main uses? What would I not like about it?

Because they're fun as hell to shoot. That's about it. I have an M&P 15-22 and I've really been enjoying it. It's shockingly accurate, too.

Go shoot one. You'll know if you like it or not then. They're available for rental at almost all gun rental places. They're not expensive to rent.

For me the appeal of something like that would be that you can slap on as many AR accessories as you want. Others may say training. Fun would be at the top of my list too.

Go shoot one. You'll know if you like it or not then. They're available for rental at almost all gun rental places. They're not expensive to rent.

Oh I have. And I liked it.
Just curious if I'm missing something.

- - - Updated - - -

What's a good price for a new one in MA?

It's fun, easy to shoot and easy on the wallet for ammo.
But... I still like shooting my 10/22 more than the MP15-22.

I checked out the M&P 15-22 sport last week. It was $100+ more than ver 1. A bit high at $400+ considering it's plastic and a real Sport was $600 before. Might be at $350 range on BF. I get bored quickly with shooting a 22 rifle. Probably great for a teenager.

I have a M&P15-22. They're fun for action shooting or for steel. I mainly use mine indoors during the winter for target shooting @25 yards. Anything else and it gets boring quickly for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have a n S&W MP 15-22 and a steel cowbell and numerous spinners and reactive targets. It's fun and reasonably inexpensive couple hours at the range. The cowbell certainly attracts other shooters attention, then we get to talking about firearms and hunting and range rules, JUST what a day at the range is supposed to be for me. If I want to shoot alone I go to the big bore range and plink the steel gong with my Ruger mini-14

I built my .22 upper primarily as a range toy for my wife, since the AR's ergonomics work better for her than the 10-22, but she's not usually a centerfire gal. I'll also take it to an Appleseed shoot as a backup to the 10-22 and/or as a loaner. Having the upper is also handy if I'm taking some toys to the folks' for backyard shooting since one and a half rifles take up less room in the car than two.

A dedicated .22LR upper has multiple uses, especially living in a state where normal capacity Black Dog magazines are readily available.

In a suppressor-friendly state, the AR-22 SB-X is a nice alternative to the 10/22 variant.
868122.jpg

I already have a nice Savage bolt action .22 and decided to add a semi-auto .22. It came down to the 10/22 vs the M&P 15-22. I went with the 15-22 to get more time with the AR platform with cheaper ammo and to have the rail for a red dot/sights/scope. I'm pretty new to firearms and I'm slowly figuring out what works for me. It's nice to have the rail to play around with things and have some cross-compatibility. For example, you buy a cheap optic for your 5.56 AR and then you can move it to the 15-22 when you upgrade. I've also decided that I want to own an AR platform and a bolt gun in .22, 5.56 and .308. I'll stock up on those 3 calibers and have 2 rifles for each.

You can shoot steel challenge with one, plenty of people do, its probably good practice.

In terms of why you'd have an AR-like 22 over a 10/22, it just boils down to whether you want the same manual of arms as you have on and actual AR or not.

I'm a big fan of having a 22 upper rather than a 10/22 or m&p. One lower means only one trigger to upgrade and not having to learn a different feel for each rifle.

I'm a big fan of having a 22 upper rather than a 10/22 or m&p. One lower means only one trigger to upgrade and not having to learn a different feel for each rifle.

Well, if you didn't already own a registered lower in MA then that's a little difficult and illegal to do thanks to Healey.

Back
Top Bottom