AR 15

I am looking for a black gun for shooting at the local range and home defense. I really like the Bushmaster modular carbine with the skeleton stock but $1600 is a little out of my price range. Does anyone have any recommendations for a similar gun at a lower price that will be compliant in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. [smile]

You could probably build one for let than that. I think when I built my Stag Arms lower and upper it ended up coming to $1200ish or so. I could have spent less but I wanted decent quality parts.

You could always build one. It allows you to spend what you can over a period of time, while saving money and building a better rifle.

I looked on the Rock River and DPMS websites and they allowed you to build a gun to your specifications but I heard the wait time could be as long as 6 months to take delivery. Also I do not have a feel for the quality of these manufacturers.

No no... these guys are talking about buying the receiver and all of the parts... and literally building it yourself [grin]

I have no complaints with my dpms ap4, picked it up at 4 seasons last may and have easily put 1000 rounds down the pipe without a hickup.

how about a standard ar 15 from stag or S&W about 950.00, then maybe add a drop in rail for a flash light ? Really what more do you need for HD. I personally would grab my 870 shot gun over my AR if needed. Try Adam of ACME ARAMENT for prices

I here you, mac1911, but I really want to get a black gun before it becomes a crime in MA. Will Adam add the skeleton stock and other accesories for me?

I here you, mac1911, but I really want to get a black gun before it becomes a crime in MA. Will Adam add the skeleton stock and other accesories for me?

the butt stock is fairly easy to swap out.

you might want to think about a semi - build to save costs of upgrading.

maybe get a complete upper - $450 and up for a basic model with flat top upper, standard front sight and hand guards....

a complete lower with lower parts kit - $200+

ace skeleton stock - $100

*estimated costs

Get the M&P for $699, grab a case of ammo and take a class to use the carbine.

Remember, to get prices so low a company will have to cut corners somewhere to save money to get it at that price point.

Last edited:
There is a dealer in the Dealer section with a great selection of black rifles. Most of the standard names (Rock River, Stag, Bushmaster, DPMS) are reliable and well built - can't go wrong with any of these.

I looked on the Rock River ...Also I do not have a feel for the quality of these manufacturers.

Rock River makes a solid firearm that employs the Wylde chamber ...so .223 or 5.56 slip through just dandy. And the two-stage NM (National Match) trigger is pretty darn good for a "stock" AR rig.

Last edited:
how about a standard ar 15 from stag or S&W about 950.00, then maybe add a drop in rail for a flash light ? Really what more do you need for HD. I personally would grab my 870 shot gun over my AR if needed. Try Adam of ACME ARAMENT for prices
This is a good way to start with the basics then add what you like after you learn to shoot it.

Yes I will.

the butt stock is fairly easy to swap out.

you might want to think about a semi - build to save costs of upgrading.

maybe get a complete upper - $450 and up for a basic model with flat top upper, standard front sight and hand guards....

a complete lower with lower parts kit - $200+

ace skeleton stock - $100

*estimated costs

If you build your own AR-15 you may save money but the old phrase will come into play, "You get what you pay for."
chetD is close on costs for a basic AR.
I built myself a 450 Bushmaster AR and it worked out to be $50 more then if I bought the complete rifle. I do like how it operates better than the factory version.
Adam

There is a dealer in the Dealer section with a great selection of black rifles. Most of the standard names (Rock River, Stag, Bushmaster, DPMS) are reliable and well built - can't go wrong with any of these.

No you can't go wrong with the name brand manufacturers. I can save you some $ if we go with a non "name brand" stripped lower and the quality will be as good or better.
Adam

I'm not in MA at the moment... but I did just build a compliant midlength for ~$550 including adco pinning the comp.

Build it yourself, you will be happier and your wallet will thank you.

Thanks Adam, I live in Plymouth and would prefer to deal with someone locally. I am open to suggestions regarding manfacturers. I just happened to see the Bushmaster modular carbine at a local shop and liked it. It felt good compared to some of the other models that I tried. Let me know when I can come to your shop and talk with you.[smile]

Bushmaster is the nicest of the lower $$ AR fam. I have 2 bushmasters and one LMT & a oly preban. From this day foraward I will not buy anything AR that is not LMT or Larue. Exept optics f courrse.

Thanks Adam, I live in Plymouth and would prefer to deal with someone locally. I am open to suggestions regarding manfacturers. I just happened to see the Bushmaster modular carbine at a local shop and liked it. It felt good compared to some of the other models that I tried. Let me know when I can come to your shop and talk with you.[smile]

If you get the BM send the BCG out to be properly staked. A lot of the companies such as BM, DPMS, RRA etc will just locktite it to keep the screws set. Its inexpensive (Umlaut does it for $10 and you can mail it into him) but one of the things that can lead to malfunction of the rifle (locktite is not meant to stand up to the pressure, heat and violence that is a rifle chamber.

How much was the BM?

Thanks Skald. The Bushmaster was 1500 and that is more than I have to spend considering the cost of the ammo too. I like the skeleton stock and the 4 piece hand guard that comes with the BM

If you get the BM send the BCG out to be properly staked. A lot of the companies such as BM, DPMS, RRA etc will just locktite it to keep the screws set. Its inexpensive (Umlaut does it for $10 and you can mail it into him) but one of the things that can lead to malfunction of the rifle (locktite is not meant to stand up to the pressure, heat and violence that is a rifle chamber.

How much was the BM?

You can add Stag to that list. They do have great Customer Service though, they fixed mine and had it back to me within a week.

Thanks Skald. The Bushmaster was 1500 and that is more than I have to spend considering the cost of the ammo too. I like the skeleton stock and the 4 piece hand guard that comes with the BM

If you buy a $900-950 rifle, you can add the skeleton stock for $100-150, and handguards for $50-250 depending on what you want, which still leaves you under $1500.

If you want a good to go AR15 thats reliable and not have to worry about much the BCM from G&R Tactical for $1100 and a Colt 620 for about $1400.

The BCM is a very high quality rifle, I have one and love shooting it. I have a LMT 10.5" and wish it was a BCM. The Colt 6920 is the standard by which all M4's are measured against because it is based off of the TDP that is used.

I admit I'm biased for the BCM but having shot BMs, BCMs, RRAs, and Colts I love the feeling of the Midlength BCM as I shoot it.

If you buy Bushmaster, have Adam check it out for you. I just had a customer bring his Bushmaster BCG in - what a mess of stupidity. Cerberus has not done Bushmaster, DPMS, or any of the other once fine firearms companies they have acquired, any favors...Just buy a Smith and Wesson if you're going off the shelf and be done with it. I handled one in NH over the weekend and was impressed with what a robust carbine it is...Built like an Army tank. Bushmasters anymore are built like a fish tank...

PaulD said:
I'm going to be selling an M&P15FT shortly.

And I'll sell you one of PaulD's 20rd mags for the amazingly low price of $49.99 - even has ammo in it...[laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom