• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15

So.. I ordered a 80% lower fixed mag from DSI and I built a AR-10 .308, love it. I decided to order a 80% Fixed Mag Lower Receiver from again from DSI (Dark Storm Industry) for an AR-15 and when it got to my FFL I noticed it said .556. I bought it and kept it because it said “MULTI”. Turns out it’s a Multi Mil-spec receiver. Cool right?. My complete upper is set for a 7.62x39 and I understand it will fit on the .556 lower with some rounds being limited. As of right now I can fit only 5 successfully. Why the heck are there not fixed mags for a 7.69x39?? Can I shoot this the way it is and not blow my hand up? Recommendations?

You lost me at fixed mag.

@Mr AR, echoing what @Mesatchornug mentioned....Constructive Intent is a thing within NFA territory; which includes someone in possession of just a sub 16" barrel if they do not already have a NFA registered lower receiver. Just to put it bluntly - Constructive Intent is not a good thing in the eyes of the ATF.
thank you. So first step would be registering my Lower unless I changed my upper Is that right? Sorry just trying to keep up with legal stuff on what to be mindful on. .

Comedy GIF by WE tv

a 10.5" barrel, with your professed level of expertise, is either a pistol or a short-barreled rifle.

what it is NOT, is a rifle.

that affects the guidance you're getting significantly.

I recommend you very carefully take stock of the actual components you've purchased, and their configurations. This will tell you whether you're playing in state (AWB) or federal (NFA) waters. That will affect the way you answer future questions.
I understand now that the 10.5 inch barrel would be a pistol. I fumbled the ball on that one.

@Mr AR this is a good forum. I hope you have thick skin, don't leave.

All the guys giving you sh*t know their stuff.
Lol I have thick skin Broc. I am here to learn and do stuff legally Ofcourse and I appreciate the lessons I’ve learned thus far.

@Mr AR, echoing what @Mesatchornug mentioned....Constructive Intent is a thing within NFA territory; which does include someone in possession of only sub 16" barrel if they do not already have a NFA registered lower receiver. Just to put it bluntly - ATF will bend you over for Constructive Intent.

Obviously, if that someone already has, let's say, a fixed mag lower receiver with a pistol brace on, then technically they are fine for the next 120 days in having something like 10.5 barrel in their possession due to the ATF dropping new regulations on pistol braces today.
Based off a quick search does that mean ID have to register it with them and pay a tax and be good to go? Looking for some guidance

thank you. So first step would be registering my Lower unless I changed my upper Is that right? Sorry just trying to keep up with legal stuff on what to be mindful on. .
To have a 10.5 barrel legally in your possession, you either A) need to have a NFA registered lower receiver or B) a fixed mag pistol lower in hand.

Obviously, we're talking in hypotheticals here...

When he says register, he means with the feds, as an SBR. A person who wanted to do that would fill out the correct forms, and get the lower engraved. After doing all this, they would get the upper. The NFA process takes a bit of time. (Others, with more experience on that part, can clarify this.) That person would then collect all their available info and decide if they believe their SBR is subject to the AWB (again, not my specialty). If they believe it is, they need to fix their stock and pin and weld any (non-flash hider) muzzle device they have installed.

A person who wanted to build a 10.5" pistol would install a pistol buffer and appropriate brace on the back of the lower. An AR pistol in MA (basically*) has to have a fixed magazine. Fortunately, one could then use any muzzle device they like without the pin/weld.

* the feature test is really not well suited for AR-pattern pistols.

Lol I have thick skin Broc. I am here to learn and do stuff legally Ofcourse and I appreciate the lessons I’ve learned thus far.
Good, now stop asking stupid questions. (Just kidding).

Obviously, we're talking in hypotheticals here...

When he says register, he means with the feds, as an SBR. A person who wanted to do that would fill out the correct forms, and get the lower engraved. After doing all this, they would get the upper. The NFA process takes a bit of time. (Others, with more experience on that part, can clarify this.) That person would then collect all their available info and decide if they believe their SBR is subject to the AWB (again, not my specialty). If they believe it is, they need to fix their stock and pin and weld any (non-flash hider) muzzle device they have installed.

A person who wanted to build a 10.5" pistol would install a pistol buffer and appropriate brace on the back of the lower. An AR pistol in MA (basically*) has to have a fixed magazine. Fortunately, one could then use any muzzle device they like without the pin/weld.

* the feature test is really not well suited for AR-pattern pistols.
Thanks for breaking it down. I don’t feel like I’m in the clear so I have some research to do

No - the first step would be to separate yourself from the ownership of at least one of the two.
If you truly have a functional rifle lower and a 10.5" upper, YOU HAVE COMMITTED A FEDERAL FELONY!
This is assuming you don't have a permanently affixed 5.5" muzzle device on that upper.

Move the upper to a friend's house and, if you want an SBR, put in the paperwork for a Tax Stamp.
Otherwise sell the upper or change UT the barrel for a 16"

For someone with a name of "Mr AR", you seem to have a lot of questions about the AR.

OP's IP traces back to the State house.

I declare this thread an "incriminate yourself" thread from here on out, so no step on snek.
This info is suspect.

Show your sources. EE2214AB-2A1A-44CC-B576-54D1B3AEFF5A.gif

No - the first step would be to separate yourself from the ownership of at least one of the two.
If you truly have a functional rifle lower and a 10.5" upper, YOU HAVE COMMITTED A FEDERAL FELONY!
This is assuming you don't have a permanently affixed 5.5" muzzle device on that upper.

Move the upper to a friend's house and, if you want an SBR, put in the paperwork for a Tax Stamp.
Otherwise sell the upper or change UT the barrel for a 16"
Ok thank you. Yeah I’m good I’ll get rid of this upper and call it a day I want no legal troubles. Thanks everyone

Thanks for breaking it down. I don’t feel like I’m in the clear so I have some research to do
AFAIK as long as the lower remains as fixed mag (not an AW), you can attach/posses the 10.5" upper assuming you either remove the stock and run a bare buffer tube or add a pistol brace instead of the stock.

<EDIT>...or maybe not... Federally it works but for MA... Does the 'magazine outside the grip' and weight thing come into play here?

Last edited:
AKAIK as long as the lower remains as fixed mag (not an AW), you can attach/posses the 10.5" upper assuming you either remove the stock and run a bare buffer tube or add a pistol brace instead of the stock.
Will be easier to swap the buffer tube if the stock is pinned for Mass compliance

No - He's giving you shit because that's what we do around here.

There's what's legal and what people believe is legal.
The "copies and duplicates" memo/press release did not change what is actually legal.
His "brain is breaking' because you stated a 80% fixed mag.
So you know that "ghost guns" are actually legal but don't understand that fixed mags aren't required unless you want a different evil feature.
He's having trouble understanding the disconnect and is being very polite by NES standards about how he states it.
I just noticed no my lower has a serial number and it is not a ghost gun.

I just noticed no my lower has a serial number and it is not a ghost gun.
"Ghost gun" isn't a thing, it's a made up term by antis. A term designed to cloud guns legally manufactured by individuals for personal use

But you stated you bought an 80% which would mean you machined it from a paperweight into a functional lower.

I am starting to agree with someone the others - you are either unbelievably niave about firearms law or you glow quite brightly

Stick with the duramag for 7.62x39
Asc has issues galore when you research it.

I just finished my 7.62x39 arak build and it functions just fine. Except for some light primer strikes on steel ammo. But you can get brass for a little more

Back
Top Bottom