AR-15

No - He's giving you shit because that's what we do around here.

There's what's legal and what people believe is legal.
The "copies and duplicates" memo/press release did not change what is actually legal.
His "brain is breaking' because you stated a 80% fixed mag.
So you know that "ghost guns" are actually legal but don't understand that fixed mags aren't required unless you want a different evil feature.
He's having trouble understanding the disconnect and is being very polite by NES standards about how he states it.
This ☝🏽💯. Laws can be confusing and it’s vague as well, we’ll sort of.

That’s the part of the law that I was very confused about. The law states “
Semi-automatic rifles manufactured after 9/13/1994 with detachable magazines and two or more of the following features:

• Folding or telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • Bayonet mount
  • Flash hider or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
  • Grenade launcher
Semi-automatic pistols manufactured after 9/13/1994 with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

• Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
  • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
  • Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
  • Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
  • A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm “
Evil features #1 is pistol grip.
So you can't have anything else on the list unless you don't have a removable magazine.
Not complicated.

I loved my 9" 300 BO upper. Sold it because wanted to finance something else and at the time, subs were like $1.50/2 a round. Now that I can find 200 grain subs for under $1 now, I am having the urge to maybe put together another 300 BO upper.
Do it! Share the build pics too. It would be cool to see it. The price of the ammo is not bad either.

I loved my 9" 300 BO upper. Sold it because wanted to finance something else and at the time, subs were like $1.50/2 a round. Now that I can find 200 grain subs for under $1 now, I am having the urge to maybe put together another 300 BO upper.
200+ grain cast bullets for subs are around $0.20/each.
Reload your own subs for under $0.40/ea or cast your bullets for pennies and make them for $0.30

And then you get to tweak the ammo to run right in your gun.

No actually. The state law I was not so sure about and decided to buy a fixed lower. Due to my ignorance I did not know the AR-15 fixed mag I bought was a .556. Not I didn’t ask. Yes I could have researched more but the AR-15 platform is unique which I like.
It happens. Even people that have been here for years have a hard time understanding the law.
Even lawyers find it challenging.

The summary.

MA has an AWB - this is a law.

MA also has an INTERPRETATION of that law from the AG - this is NOT a law.

The interpretation has an FAQ and a "TEST". If the gun fails that test it is illegal, per the interpretation.

But the LAW does not say this. An interpretation is not LAW.

Food for thought -- Thousands of ARs have been sold in MA since the interpretation, the State has the FA10, yet no one has been arrested or gone to trial. At least no one has been able to share information of someone getting arrested for buying an AR.

That is as high level as I can explain it.

It happens. Even people that have been here for years have a hard time understanding the law.
Even lawyers find it challenging.

The summary.

MA has an AWB - this is a law.

MA also has an INTERPRETATION of that law from the AG - this is NOT a law.

The interpretation has an FAQ and a "TEST". If the gun fails that test it is illegal, per the interpretation.

But the LAW does not say this. An interpretation is not LAW.

Food for thought -- Thousands of ARs have been sold in MA since the interpretation, the State has the FA10, yet no one has been arrested or gone to trial. At least no one has been able to share information of someone getting arrested for buying an AR.

That is as high level as I can explain it.
Yes hence why I posted this. I will do some more research because I would like to get a 10 round mag and not worry about the law because I’m compliant to the law and I’m not doing anything illegal.

actually I don’t have to remove it because it says “Two” or more.
Provided you built a rifle, not a pistol, you get the pistol grip for free. If you wanted any additional enumerated feature, you'd need a fixed magazine.

If you built a pistol, you'll need to fix the mag.

There's a lot of discussion of this in the AWB thread in the Mass Laws subforum

I highly suggest taking some effort to search this forum for threads related to your interests in a build. All the info you need is here. You may not find all of it but you will be much farther along by doing so. There's a MA laws sub-forum and a Build it Yourself sub-forum, which are two good places to start. Always good to ask questions on the forum if you are stumped or don't understand something, but you'll learn more and ask better questions after taking some effort to research.

Yes hence why I posted this. I will do some more research because I would like to get a 10 round mag and not worry about the law because I’m compliant to the law and I’m not doing anything illegal.
Or just buy some pre 94 30 round Stanag or polymer magazines IE Okay Industries, Adventure Line, Orlite, Parsons, Center Industries, Colt, LaBelle, Thermold, etc.

One problem that comes with moving to a free state is that you will go broke buying all the stuff you can't easily get in MA and the stuff (suppressors) you can't have at all in MA. Plus, ammo arrives at your door just like anything else you order that is not a firearm (except C&R of course if you are an 03). But it's a great "problem" to have.

Provided you built a rifle, not a pistol, you get the pistol grip for free. If you wanted any additional enumerated feature, you'd need a fixed magazine.

If you built a pistol, you'll need to fix the mag.

There's a lot of discussion of this in the AWB thread in the Mass Laws subforum
I bought an upper separately for 10.5 inch. I don’t need additional features just the darn proper mag.

I bought an upper separately for 10.5 inch. I don’t need additional features just the darn proper mag.
Comedy GIF by WE tv

a 10.5" barrel, with your professed level of expertise, is either a pistol or a short-barreled rifle.

what it is NOT, is a rifle.

that affects the guidance you're getting significantly.

I recommend you very carefully take stock of the actual components you've purchased, and their configurations. This will tell you whether you're playing in state (AWB) or federal (NFA) waters. That will affect the way you answer future questions.

Last edited:
@Mr AR, echoing what @Mesatchornug mentioned....Constructive Intent is a thing within NFA territory; which does include someone in possession of only sub 16" barrel if they do not already have a NFA registered lower receiver. Just to put it bluntly - ATF will bend you over for Constructive Intent.

Obviously, if that someone already has, let's say, a fixed mag lower receiver with a pistol brace on, then technically they are fine for the next 120 days in having something like 10.5 barrel in their possession due to the ATF dropping new regulations on pistol braces today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom