• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15

Depends how the stock is pinned. If it's physically possible, the legal answer is maybe. If you take it apart (take the upper off and pull out the BCG) than by Massachusetts definition it's not a firearm. Then there is the "constructive possession" theory. Personally, I'd just do it and not worry about it. What rifle/stock is it?

You're more likely to get struck by lightning then get in trouble for changing where your stock is pinned.

Mike

is there a way legally to unpin a stock and shortin it up and repin it. Also do you have to drill the stock to repin it

Remove the upper from the lower. Remove old pin, adjust, re-pin thru the latch (if the original pin was thru the receiver extension).

Pray that in the 5 minute time span that it takes you to do this, the ATF doesn't bust thru your door and arrest you for constructive possession.

Remove the upper from the lower. Remove old pin, adjust, re-pin thru the latch (if the original pin was thru the receiver extension).

Pray that in the 5 minute time span that it takes you to do this, the ATF doesn't bust thru your door and arrest you for constructive possession.

ATF won't GAF. it's marsha waiting in the bushes that you need to watch out for. the urine of the feared marsha smells like merlot and her eyes glow red in the dark--this is how you spot a marsha in the wild.

I will do it in the cover of dark so they dont see [smile]

I'm not saying MA doesn't care (Although they really don't have a track record of GAF), but the feds (ATF) don't care as it's not a violation of any federal firearms law.

Mike

Yes, you have to re-drill once it is re-positioned because there needs to be a hole to drive the pin into. The hole gets drilled so that it goes through the raised "key" on the underside of the buffer tube. You don't want to drill into the round part because it will interfere with the buffer and spring assembly. Yes, it is legal to do, but I wouldn't take it to the range without pinning it first.

True, I have seen them that way too, but the best approach is how I described, because if it is done right, it has the added benefit of tightening up some of the slop in the adjustable stock (which is fine if it is functional, but really sucks when it is sloppy and you can't adjust it!).[wink]

Back
Top Bottom