AR 15

Picked my AR up today

For better or worse,I went with the Bushmaster. Of all the ones I picked up and looked at ,this one felt good and has everything I need for now.

the Ranier upper is beautiful thing. That upper with sights will cost about the same as complete BCM. I've been hesitant to build a lower. However, like I said, I'm looking for reliablity, so maybe I neeed to rethink the budget.

Yeah, good point on price. They have a line of budget uppers that you might want to check out.

As for a lower, it really is pretty easy. Get any old stripped lower and a Rock River LPK with the NM trigger (if you want a good trigger at a reasonable price).

I have a Bushmaster that I picked up a few years back, it's given me a little trouble feeding UMC, but I'm not really a fan of that ammo to begin with. Runs 100% with Federal, I'm happy with it, for what I paid for it.

I had gotten a BCM upper for Christmas, but I just sent it back due to some pretty bad scratching and a chip inside the receiver, and the black finish on the exterior looks like it was wiped with a sponge before it fully dried. Once I get the replacement, it's getting an 18" SPR from WOA, the rest is still up in the air.

Is the Smith & Wesson MP15 a true AR, if that's the correct term, with regards to a standard bolt carrier group, charging handle, interchangeable upper/lower?

AR's should not be picky with ammo they should run right and hard through anything. Extraction issues comes down to poor parts in the BCG.

BCM is good to go.

S&W, if i had a choice between a RRA, BM, DPMS and a S&W, i'd take the S&W.

Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, BCM and S&W build their uppers to mil-spec including proper mil-spec testing.

BCM is good to go.

S&W, if i had a choice between a RRA, BM, DPMS and a S&W, i'd take the S&W.

Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, BCM and S&W build their uppers to mil-spec including proper mil-spec testing.

Good summary. Thanks.

I own both STAG and S&W AR products. From what I learned STAG/CMT was manufactureing ARs for S&W for a while before they got tooled up. Also from what I recieved from info from stag they manufacture all but the springs and barrels.
Parent company CMT has been makeing AR parts for a long time and from what I have gathered for a lot of the other AR suppliers out there.
I went with 2 things in mind.
END USE lead tossing with a reasonable accuracy with normal available ammo = minute of man say out to 200 yards. My skill set can not ask for more @ this time.
Budget= 1000.00 max includeing a sling and a few mags.

My stag has run flawlessly with even wolf and some older lacquer coated bear siler bear. I am not anal about cleaning and it does not get pampered. barrel swab and a quick wipe down and inspection every few hundred rounds.

I have not run into to many hands/eye on horror stories with any of the AR owners I see regulary.

Is the Smith & Wesson MP15 a true AR, if that's the correct term, with regards to a standard bolt carrier group, charging handle, interchangeable upper/lower?

Yes, the M&P15s are true ARs. If you're trying to draw an analogy to 1911s where some, like Paras, are significantly different than the original design, that doesn't apply.

Yes, the M&P15s are true ARs. If you're trying to draw an analogy to 1911s where some, like Paras, are significantly different than the original design, that doesn't apply.

I was wondering that. Shouldn't these all be identical on blueprints? Sure, the metal might be different composition, but the actual design should be the same across the board by definition, right? Isn't that the point?

That question has to be answered before any recommendations can be made.
"What should I get for an AR?" is like asking "What should I get for an automobile?"

I've seen too many Bushmasters win matches to condemn their whole line of AR's. Is it the greatest AR ever put together? Nope, but they're not junk, either. I might recommend one and I might not. Depends...

I agree, i've owned 2 of their m4's and still own one of them. it isn't a top shelf gun but it is a great range gun. if you shoot good ammo most ar's will run well. all the jamming ftf issues i've seen at my club were with cheap steel cased ammo.

RRA Rock River Arms makes very fine rifles. Beware the Colt diffenence in size of the front take down pin. The Colt lower creates probs if you want to use other maker's uppers. Be sure to look over Ciener's .22lr conversion units. They are the main reason to favor the 223 auto, in my book.

I have had several Colts and currently have a Match HBAR 20". I also have a Stag 16" flat top lefty. In terms of fit and finish, I see no real differences. If anything, the Stag may look a tad nicer, but it is a tough call. In terms of accuracy, I find that I shoot the Stag as well or better than the Colt. The next AR that I get will be another Stag.

I have 3 Bushys, all run fine and seem to be put together OK. If I needed a SHTF/hard use gun, I'd go Colt. Does anyone here have an opinion of Spikes Tactical? Their M4gery looks nice.

What about having a custom gun built for you?
What about a place in Mass. that you can come in and choose the parts and how you want the gun to look, and then have it built while you watch?
This would be a Remsport Mfg. Custom gun and would come with a lifetime warranty and would cost you less then a compariable S&W or any one of those other guns you have been talking about.
Local company, US manufactured parts, lifetime warranty, you can pick out your parts from a large selection in stock and then watch as your gun is being built.
Contact us
413 579 1994
Thanks
John

What about having a custom gun built for you?
What about a place in Mass. that you can come in and choose the parts and how you want the gun to look, and then have it built while you watch?
This would be a Remsport Mfg. Custom gun and would come with a lifetime warranty and would cost you less then a compariable S&W or any one of those other guns you have been talking about.
Local company, US manufactured parts, lifetime warranty, you can pick out your parts from a large selection in stock and then watch as your gun is being built.
Contact us
413 579 1994
Thanks
John

Will the barrel have the following?

M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
T-Marked Upper Receivers
USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
Mil-Spec 11595E - Certified Barrel Steel (CMV)
Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
USGI Government Profile Barrels
HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

And will the BCG have the following?

HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof)
MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
Shot Peened Bolt
Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
Chrome Lined Gas Key
Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
Black Extractor Insert
Mil-Spec Crane O-Ring

Last edited:
You are not going to see better than 1 MOA under field conditions, anyway, cause you aint got a sandbagged bench with you. To be more accurate, you won't be hitting targets of smaller size, regularly. 2" groups at 200 yds can easily be 2" off target, due to wind,mirage, etc. So, better groups don't mean anything. Match grade ammo is so expensive that if you can "wear out " a barrel with it, you can afford a new gun, too. Even just the components run about 40c a shot. 5000 rds is $2000, so you see what I mean! That's a lot of truly discriminating shooting. Very few people are that interested/bother.

Figure out what your gonna do with it. Only going to be a range gun, any. Any sort of possibility its going to be a SHTF gun, stay away from Bushmaster etc. BCM and DD are about the same price and vastly better quality. LMT, Colt 6920.

Back
Top Bottom