AR-15 thread... I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Hey guys, I'm really racking my brain on my current optics setup for a bushmaster bravo Zulu upper i got.
I wanted go put a 510c ,3x magnifier and back up irons on the rifle as a setup to really train on for some classes and be my "go to" setup.
The problem is the 510c and magnifier cant be a mounted to the upper reciever and accommodate my magpul mbus flip up sights, I'm simply out of room.
my only options seem to be to ditch the magnifier, push the 510c forward one rail slot (which would result in overhang onto the floating handguard) or ditch the back up irons.
Any input is appreciated. I really wanna use this rifle for some seminars up north so reliability and versatility are key.

Attachments

• 20230511_172258.jpg
    20230511_172258.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230511_172308.jpg
    20230511_172308.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 36
Hey guys, I'm really racking my brain on my current optics setup for a bushmaster bravo Zulu upper i got.
I wanted go put a 510c ,3x magnifier and back up irons on the rifle as a setup to really train on for some classes and be my "go to" setup.
The problem is the 510c and magnifier cant be a mounted to the upper reciever and accommodate my magpul mbus flip up sights, I'm simply out of room.
my only options seem to be to ditch the magnifier, push the 510c forward one rail slot (which would result in overhang onto the floating handguard) or ditch the back up irons.
Any input is appreciated. I really wanna use this rifle for some seminars up north so reliability and versatility are key.
My Aimpoints need a cantilever mount to push them far enough forward to use with a magnifier.
If you push your dot forward one slot, is the part that ataches to the rail actualy on the Handguard?
If the Handguard is freefloated, it probably doesn’t matter if your one slot out on it.

My Aimpoints need a cantilever mount to push them far enough forward to use with a magnifier.
If you push your dot forward one slot, is the part that ataches to the rail actualy on the Handguard?
If the Handguard is freefloated, it probably doesn’t matter if your one slot out on it.
If I go one forward there is a dovetail section that will sit on the handguard but the clamping part of the mount lines up perfectly with the upper. You can actually see where the two lines meet of the handguard start and the clamps front edge.20230512_215605.jpg20230512_215616.jpg

Would you be opposed to placing the rear buis in front of the optic? Might have a couple of slots if you move everything back.

Would you be opposed to placing the rear buis in front of the optic? Might have a couple of slots if you move everything back.
I've heard of people doing this. It seems goofy but after all they are just that, backup sights. They are literally only their for insurance purposes. I suppose this is an option if mounting the 510c that far forward will affect its zero
Certainly something I'll do if it seems like the best way forward

If I go one forward there is a dovetail section that will sit on the handguard but the clamping part of the mount lines up perfectly with the upper. You can actually see where the two lines meet of the handguard start and the clamps front edge.View attachment 752114View attachment 752115
I would run it one slot out on the handguard.
You can keep an eye on your cowitness with your iron sights to see if anything moves right or left.

I would run it one slot out on the handguard.
You can keep an eye on your cowitness with your iron sights to see if anything moves right or left.
I'll give it a shot. Like I mentioned the actual clamping portion is firmly on the upper reciever rail, hopefully that makes the part over the handguard negligible

Thanks everyone for the input. Nobody told me how obsessed I'd get with stuff like this when i started down the ar path

I think the Vortex magnifier is shorter than the Holosun, research and see if that works?

Then sell the Holosun if it works out the way you want

I think the Vortex magnifier is shorter than the Holosun, research and see if that works?

Then sell the Holosun if it works out the way you want
Yea the micro 3x looks like it has a smaller rail footprint. Might be a good option if it turns out this overhang on the handguard is gonna be an issue for me

I'd love to do that, I just dont know if I'll have the rail space unless I get rid of the magnifier until I can afford a vortex micro.
This is a shtf and training rifle so I may have to ditch the magnifier until then. Iron sights are a must on a shtf rifle
Eh. Out of all my AR type guns only two have BUIS.

And only because I had some on hand.

I’m using dots and some lpvo’s.

I'd love to do that, I just dont know if I'll have the rail space unless I get rid of the magnifier until I can afford a vortex micro.
This is a shtf and training rifle so I may have to ditch the magnifier until then. Iron sights are a must on a shtf rifle

I'm still slightly in the camp of irons are a must on a zombie apocolypse gun. But the prism scopes are making me more comfortable not having them. If you'd be interested in a microprism like the one primary arms makes, you can get that, their magnifier, and a rear back up flip up iron all on the rail of the upper.

All my “working” rifles have buis. And not bc they were lying around. They have a purpose.

And fwiw, you should zero and train with them.
Better optics and dots don’t “need” buis. Not saying it’s a bad idea ti have them.

I cannot run a buis on my lpvo guns due the how far back they are.

And I’m positive that I can run irons without having to practice as I do shoot irons now and then. Doubt I’ll forget.

Better optics and dots don’t “need” buis. Not saying it’s a bad idea ti have them.

I cannot run a buis on my lpvo guns due the how far back they are.

And I’m positive that I can run irons without having to practice as I do shoot irons now and then. Doubt I’ll forget.

A ton of new shooters have learned their way around a rifle without ever shooting irons. BUIS are a fail safe and not practicing with a fail safe is like having a fire extinguisher without ever pulling the pin on one. TF happens when you need it? Is it even zeroed? At what distance? Hopefully minute of man, I guess.

Obv when I write it’s my opinion so I don’t feel the need to caveat what I write. But having a battle rifle without BUIS seems silly to me regardless of the optic you put on it. Cracked glass or any number of things can take out that optic and with no options, are you planning to point shoot?

I have plenty of dots, scopes, & LPVO’s. All of them have been setup to accommodate BUIS.

It’s not an accident, it’s a plan.

BUIS are a fail safe and not practicing with a fail safe is like having a fire extinguisher without ever pulling the pin on one.
How often do you practice putting fires out with your fire extinguishers?

I agree with the idea that if you know how to use your iron sights, and they’re zeroed, you really don’t need to practice much if you have a separate reliable primary optic.

How often do you practice putting fires out with your fire extinguishers?

I agree with the idea that if you know how to use your iron sights, and they’re zeroed, you really don’t need to practice much if you have a separate reliable primary optic.

Same idea as shooting my carry ammo. And probably as often. No I don’t have brush fires down here any longer.

You must have missed the whole paragraph about shooters who learned on optics and don’t know how to use irons.

I’d argue that most of you don’t know how to use irons either, as much as you claim otherwise. I don’t see many people shooting high power these days.

Some of us take reasonable precautions and prepare. Some people just assume things are going to work as expected.

Same idea as shooting my carry ammo. And probably as often. No I don’t have brush fires down here any longer.

You must have missed the whole paragraph about shooters who learned on optics and don’t know how to use irons.

I’d argue that most of you don’t know how to use irons either, as much as you claim otherwise. I don’t see many people shooting high power these days.

Some of us take reasonable precautions and prepare. Some people just assume things are going to work as expected.

I'm sorry, I don't know how often you shoot your carry ammo. So I still have no idea how often you practice with a fire extinguisher, but that is fine. We don't need to keep harping on that.

I did not miss that paragraph. I just don't think using iron sights is as perishable of a skill, or as difficult to initially figure out as you do. Sure, if we're talking match shooting at various long range distances then there is more to it, and that would require a bit more practice. But people who keep back up irons as a failsafe in case their red dot battery dies in some apocalyptic mad max scenario, aren't using their irons in that manner. Especially in this part of the country where, generally speaking, a combat zero is going to take you out to about the farthest shot you can take. So what are we talking about at that point? Putting the front sight post in the middle of the peep, or in the notch of the rear sight. Again, that may be good to practice from time to time, but it doesn't seem as perishable of a skill as it seems that you believe it to be.

Fair enough, we disagree. And I also don't think that pulling the pin and squeezing the handle of a fire extinguisher is that perishable, either. For most of us, I would think that fire extinguishers and back up irons don't need to be practiced with that often. But if you have the financial means to do so, it doesn't hurt anything to practice.

Back
Top Bottom