• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 thread... I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

susa8ebe.jpg

Nothing big right now.
Picked up a cmmg lpk , bad lever , and mag pul trigger guard from acme yesterday when I went to get black powder for my cannon :).

I'm building a dmr style ar and still trying to pick a butt stock out . Kind want the magpul prs stock but the price is kinda high.

Group Buy Special

Here's my latest build. It was made from various NES group buys, and some other items I picked up along the way:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374973204.152807.jpg

Details:
5.56 chrome lined 16" Socom, w/ phosphate coating and 1:7 twist
BCM Charge Handle
Boise Tactical Bolt Carrier Group
10” Free Float Rail
YHM Brake
LRB Upper
Limited Edition Zombie Annihilator Lower
DPMS LPK
BSA Tactical Mil-Dot Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 44mm Side Focus

Last edited:
I was shooting Remington, wolf, and brown bear. 52 - 55gn.

I'm thinking the gas tube is slightly misaligned, or the low profile gas block is a little bit off. I'm going to disassemble and look for witness marks, unburned powder, and any rubs I can find.

Sweet - a very fine reach out and touch someone rifle. Well done sir.

6.5 Grendel
JP 23" barrel
Firebird Billet recievers

- - - Updated - - -

Check the gas port to make sure it isn't obstructed while you have it apart!

Thanks! Too bad it won't cycle... I'm thinking it's gas block/gas tube setup, I'm going to troubleshoot tomorrow.

If it's the ESS barrel, definitely check the gas port. Someone else here had a gas port that wasn't drilled all the way through. He used a small drill bit I believe to finish poking it through. Good luck.

Here's my latest build. It was made from various NES group buys, and some other items I picked up along the way:

View attachment 74287

Details:
5.56 chrome lined 16" Socom, w/ phosphate coating and 1:7 twist
BCM Charge Handle
Boise Tactical Bolt Carrier Group
10” Free Float Rail
YHM Brake
LRB Upper
Limited Edition Zombie Annihilator Lower
DPMS LPK
BSA Tactical Mil-Dot Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 44mm Side Focus

check out the bolt carrier ,my Boise carrier was tight, took 300 rounds soaked in oil to not short cycle.had to cut a coil off the buffer spring as well.

If it's the ESS barrel, definitely check the gas port. Someone else here had a gas port that wasn't drilled all the way through. He used a small drill bit I believe to finish poking it through. Good luck.

Yea, I'll double check this and let you know. I didn't get to it today for various reasons, hopefully before the weekend I'll have some time to check it out.

check out the bolt carrier ,my Boise carrier was tight, took 300 rounds soaked in oil to not short cycle.had to cut a coil off the buffer spring as well.

The BCG didn't feel tight (felt better than my dpms upper), I also ran it pretty soaked for break in. I'll double check when I have it apart later this week. I'll try to snap some pics, maybe I'll make a thread so we don't get way off track here.

How does the light short gun run for you? What comp do you have on the end? I went a different direction with the 14.5"er I scored last year. I have thought about taking my "custom" comp and putting it on a LW 16 mid barrel.

It runs very well, shoots soft and flat. It has a miculek brake. It came with a DD brake, but that had too much down force and was difficult to shoot quickly and accurately. This will be my go to go for short range matches. I will use a 16 middy for longer range stuff

How does the light short gun run for you? What comp do you have on the end? I went a different direction with the 14.5"er I scored last year. I have thought about taking my "custom" comp and putting it on a LW 16 mid barrel.

It runs very well, shoots soft and flat. It has a miculek brake. It came with a DD brake, but that had too much down force and was difficult to shoot quickly and accurately. This will be my go to go for short range matches. I will use a 16 middy for longer range stuff

See my comments/questions HERE.

I've heard the battlecomp does this as well and I'd like to avoid it. I'm going to pick up a bcm 14.5 middy within a week or so and i'm on the fence about what comp/brake to order it with.. Bcm offers the bcm gunfighter comp, the battlecomp, surefire mbk556 and the pws fsc556. Any advice on which one to get? The primary use will be my go to gun for home defense

I've heard the battlecomp does this as well and I'd like to avoid it. I'm going to pick up a bcm 14.5 middy within a week or so and i'm on the fence about what comp/brake to order it with.. Bcm offers the bcm gunfighter comp, the battlecomp, surefire mbk556 and the pws fsc556. Any advice on which one to get? The primary use will be my go to gun for home defense

I have a FC556 on a 14.5" M4 profile carbine, and am completely happy with it. I have no experience with the other you listed, so I can't compare the FC556 to those.

I also have one of these:
Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Muzzle Devices | Rainier Arms Xtreme Tactical Compensator XTC
on a 16" light weight middy, that upper runs super soft and feels awesome. I only wish I had an opportunity to try each of these brake/compensator on each of my uppers to compare them

If its home defense, the battlecomp will probably be the best as it will be the quietest. But it is the least effective. not including the BCM in this discussion. Never shot with the one I had.

I have never heard that the battlecomp had too much down force.

One thing I have found is that the comp is part of the entire system. BCG weight, buffer weight, gas port size, length and weight and ammo all will play in how the gun will shoot. Some comps work better than others and some work very well on specific designs but not well on others

Worked up the nerve to spray my DGW build

Detroit Gun Works lower
Daniel defense LPK
Daniel defense lightweight barrel 1:7
BCM M4 demo upper
Primary arms micro red dot
Magpul furniture for now

uberyvyv.jpg
beruru9e.jpg

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

Looks good. I was never a big fan of people painting their rifles, but Im starting to come around I think. What'd you use for paint? How'd you get that kind of golfball look?

Worked up the nerve to spray my DGW build

Detroit Gun Works lower
Daniel defense LPK
Daniel defense lightweight barrel 1:7
BCM M4 demo upper
Primary arms micro red dot
Magpul furniture for now

uberyvyv.jpg
beruru9e.jpg

Looks good. I was never a big fan of people painting their rifles, but Im starting to come around I think. What'd you use for paint? How'd you get that kind of golfball look?

I used the rustoleum flat camo series . Just used a Landry bag to get the golf ball look . I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Basically just watched some YouTube videos and just went for it. It was kinda sticky at first but after a few hundred rounds through the rifle it was fine.

Back
Top Bottom