• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 stocks

I'm doing my first AR build and have a Magpul MOE stock that will have to be pinned [hmmm]

If a collapsible stock is modified to only be adjustable with a tool, would that make it MA legal? Is there a way to do this to my MOE stock. Has anyone done anything like this?

I really don't want to be stuck with one length of pull for my rifle, it would be awesome if I could sit down and adjust it with a screwdriver or something.

I'm doing my first AR build and have a Magpul MOE stock that will have to be pinned [hmmm]

If a collapsible stock is modified to only be adjustable with a tool, would that make it MA legal? Is there a way to do this to my MOE stock. Has anyone done anything like this?

I really don't want to be stuck with one length of pull for my rifle, it would be awesome if I could sit down and adjust it with a screwdriver or something.

Has to be pinned so it can't be adjusted. That's MA. for ya.....

Yeah that sounds like just what I was looking for! So it replaces that pin that the lever moves on normal magpul stocks? What makes it nonadjustable except by a drift pin punch and hex wrench?

Yes, it replaces the standard stock adjustment pin. I guess the need for a drift pin punch and hex wrench for removal are the rationale on legality and making your stock "non-adjustable".

You may want to reach out to Gunsmith.JM if you have specific questions.

I have the Vltor Emod and used 2 small set srews that were tapped in to the buffer tube on either side that are covered by the battery compartments. I occasionally take carbine classes out of state that require me to wear a plate carrier so I need to adjust the stock. Not sure if it's fully complying with the law though.

I pinned both mine this week and the PSA tube took 20 seconds to drill through and the Spikes took 4 min. man that Metal was alot harder. I used an 1/8 roll pin and can hardly notice it. I dont mine pinning because i never found myself adjusting a stock when at my fams in NH.

I pinned both mine this week and the PSA tube took 20 seconds to drill through and the Spikes took 4 min. man that Metal was alot harder. I used an 1/8 roll pin and can hardly notice it. I dont mine pinning because i never found myself adjusting a stock when at my fams in NH.

Yes, but have you ever shot with a really nice rifle stock. Something like the Vltor rifle modstock. The beautiful thing about a real fixed stock is that it can have a nice place to rest your cheek all the way up to the charging handle.

I understand the trade off for a telescoping stock. But a pinned telescoping stock just seems like the worst of all worlds.

My pre-ban, SBR'd AR wearing a Vltor Rifle Modstock. Its so good I put it on a pre-ban rifle. Notice the flat cheek rest that goes all the way to the charging handle.

Last edited:
Yes, but have you ever shot with a really nice rifle stock...
I understand the trade off for a telescoping stock. But a pinned telescoping stock just seems like the worst of all worlds.

I'm not a big fan of most rifle stocks. They're almost all too long for carbines and are only comfortable when shooting prone or supported. Have you ever shot with a really good collapsible stock?

Anyway, here are some reasons why pinning a collapsible stock is not the worst of all worlds:
1. You're not stuck with a stock of a certain length. You can pin it at whichever length is perfect for your body/gear. I find rifle buttstocks far too long for the way I shoot carbines. This isn't as big a deal when not wearing body armor, but I still like to square off and have the buttstock only a notch or two out from fully collapsed.

2. While not as easy as a normal collapsible buttstock, you can still change its length of pull when you please. If you're going to take someone shooting of a different stature, you can remove the buffer tube and reset the pin with the buttstock at a different spot to fit the new shooter's body. This is really helpful when showing women how to shoot.

3. The good collapsible stocks are not uncomfortable. My SOPMOD stock provides a phenomenally comfortable cheek weld.

4. If you move to a free state, you can simply tap out the pin and return it to a fully functioning collapsible buttstock.

Last edited:
Pappy, I"ve got a nice magpul CTS on one rifle.

The difference between a rifle stock and a carbine stock is that the carbine stock MUST leave a section of buffer tube bare in order for the stock to be able to telescope in. This assumes you shoot it with the stock mostly out.

I'm a stock crawler. My nose is about 1/2" from the charging handle. When I do this my cheek is on the bare buffer tube.

If you keep your head erect and shoot with the stock shorter, you are more likely to have your cheek land on the nice comfy part of the stock. But it never worked out that way for me.

I guess thats why there are different products for different people.

I'd bet we agree on one thing though. A pinned mil spec telescoping stock IS the worst of allworlds. Even if your cheek lands on the stock, its not much better than the buffer tube.

I'd bet we agree on one thing though. A pinned mil spec telescoping stock IS the worst of allworlds. Even if your cheek lands on the stock, its not much better than the buffer tube.

Haha, true. Though, I also have an AR carbine with a pinned milspec stock because it's setup as close to my old issued rifle as possible.

As an example of my cheekwelds, I actually usually have my SOPMOD stock only 1 notch out from fully collapsed. The SOPMOD is a little longer than a normal collapsible stock, which makes it easier to run mostly in. When I have my nose touching the charging handle, my cheek is actually firmly on the smooth and comfortable stock. With body armor, I'd run it fully collapsed, but that's no longer a concern. This, of course, is all predicated on holding the carbine in nice and tight while squaring off my stance. But yeah, different strokes for different folks. I just wanted to bring up some of the benefits of pinned collapsible stocks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom