AR-15 sling for High Power

I ordered a new upper for my rifle. I need a good sling when it shows up. Leather seems to be what I see at the few matches Ive attended. Is there a particular one that is best,and where do I order?
Thanks, Mike

Les Tam is highly regarded, but there is a wait.
Ron Brown is also spoken well of.
Nothing wrong with a Turner, either.

I use a ratty old USGI cotton web sling and love it. It cost me $5. A certain sling won't win or lose you any points, it's whatever you find easiest to use.

I use a ratty old USGI cotton web sling and love it. It cost me $5. A certain sling won't win or lose you any points, it's whatever you find easiest to use.

I am new to high power. One of my many issues is that I don't know what size to order, or how to set it up for optimum stability. What I do now is not correct . I have a nylon sling and just wrap it around until its tight .

Last edited:
Mike,

I take it you enjoyed yourself again today shooting at NFGA.... :)

Check out this video
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Slings/

Only thing different I and many do is one keeper above the frog and one below as opposed to both below the way Dennis shows in the Video.

When I started shooting Highpower I used Turner Leather then a Turner Biothane.
I now have Les Tam, Weller and Ron Brown slings. All are fine slings ( as is the Turner as Pat stated )

If I had to rate them in order "my opinion" would be. Tam, Ron Brown, Weller then Turner.

I would order the Ron Brown from Creedmoor. http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Ron_Brown_Service_Sling-RBSLING.html

I'll bring a cotton web sling for you to use next weekend if you want.
As Pat said you won't loose points usning one sling over the other as long as they are used properly.
The web slings are easier to use.

It takes a little practice to learn how to properly use a leather sling.
I like them better than Web slings only because of the numbered holes for tension repeatability.
I suppose you could just make marks on a web sling with a permanent marker to accomplish the same thing.

John Holliger shoots with a web sling and he does ok.... :)

Last edited:
ISRA has an article by Konrad Powers about use of the sling. It's the best one I've seen and has a step by step pictures of how to rig either.

B

PS: I use a turner leather when I shoot service rifle. I'm sure all the others are just as good if not better. Never did get to use the Biothane sling as I did not like it.

I have a 54" Ron Brown and it works just fine. If you get a light colored sling (tan or light brown) you can mark your different positions with a black sharpie. (Silver sharpie on black leather works too but seems to wear off faster.)

I'm personally not a fan of the biothane slings. Too sticky for my liking.

Last edited:
Mike,

If you want I can attach my backup rifle to that web sling I'm loaning you this Saturday for you to test drive in the match.
It's a WOA 1x7 with 1/4 x 1/4 pinned sights and a Geiselle trigger in the lower. Pretty similar to what you'll be driving next year...

Only condition is you shoot my ammo in it. I'll let you give me $30 for the ammo.
It will be Sierra 69's over 25.0 RL-15 for 200 & 300 and Sierra 80's over 24.0 RL15 for 600.
I will also make you collect and return as much of the brass from this ammo as possible.

Mike,

If you want I can attach my backup rifle to that web sling I'm loaning you this Saturday for you to test drive in the match.
It's a WOA 1x7 with 1/4 x 1/4 pinned sights and a Geiselle trigger in the lower. Pretty similar to what you'll be driving next year...

Only condition is you shoot my ammo in it. I'll let you give me $30 for the ammo.
It will be Sierra 69's over 25.0 RL-15 for 200 & 300 and Sierra 80's over 24.0 RL15 for 600.
I will also make you collect and return as much of the brass from this ammo as possible.

Sound good to me. Thanks.

Pat,
In off hand can the sling be used for support if it is attached to the rifle at both ends?
I have a small match at my club early next month. Just wondering
Thanks, Mike

Pat,
In off hand can the sling be used for support if it is attached to the rifle at both ends?
Thanks, Mike

Depends on the rules at your match, but if it's a CMP or NRA match the answer is no.

That's one of the rules I think is kind of weird... You can wear a custom shooting coat with grip panels, a shooting hat with a blinder, shooting glove, etc, but you can't take 2 seconds to get into a hasty sling for offhand. [hmmm]

Last edited:
Pat,
Thanks, Mike

No, the sling cannot be used for support in offhand. For Service Rifle, it must be attached to the rifle at both ends, and you can incorporate it into your hold, but you can't use it as support in any way.

You probably can't tell in my avatar pic, but my sling is "parade tight" meaning all slack is taken up and it lays flat against the left side of the rifle. I probably have it between my thumb and forefinger, but it's not adding any tension to my hold. You want it tight instead of slack. I've seen guys have it hanging way down where the breeze can catch it, where it acts like a pendulum, swinging the rifle back and forth.

Last edited:
I have a 54" Ron Brown and it works just fine. If you get a light colored sling (tan or light brown) you can mark your different positions with a black sharpie. (Silver sharpie on black leather works too but seems to wear off faster.)

I'm personally not a fan of the biothane slings. Too sticky for my liking.

I just got my Ron Brown sling. How do I attach it to my rifle? [thinking] No directions.
Thanks, Mike

Back
Top Bottom