• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Rifle kits????????

I was wondering what peoples experience is with AR "kits" that you can get from companies such as Del-Ton, J&T, or Rock River Arms. The kits are suppose to come with everything except the stripped lower. Is this true? Does the kit get shipped right to your home or to an FFL? Is Just the lower the only thing that needs to go through an FFL? What about the parts being Mass compliant? I see you can even buy AR pistol kits. What about the short barrels in those kits; are they legal as long as the pistol does not become a rifle? I know this is a lot of questions but I am leaning heavily toward doing a kit gun and am looking for what the down side is.

I was wondering what peoples experience is with AR "kits" that you can get from companies such as Del-Ton, J&T, or Rock River Arms. The kits are suppose to come with everything except the stripped lower. Is this true?
Yes

Does the kit get shipped right to your home or to an FFL?
Direct to You

Is Just the lower the only thing that needs to go through an FFL?
Yes

What about the parts being Mass compliant?
Most of the suppliers have MA compliant kits available

I see you can even buy AR pistol kits.
Not legal in MA, unless You gut it to under 50oz

What about the short barrels in those kits?
Yes, SBR OK with CLEO approval and $200 stamp

Hope this helps

Thank you for the information. I am not up on all my acronyms what were you saying about short barrels?????????[hmmm]

I'm pretty sure SBR= short barreled rifle
CLEO= chief law enforcement officer
$200 for stamp because I believe it is considered under class 3 so you have to pay a tax.

I'm pretty sure this is what the abbreviations and explanations are but if I am wrong someone will be along with the correct information.

I'm pretty sure SBR= short barreled rifle
CLEO= chief law enforcement officer
$200 for stamp because I believe it is considered under class 3 so you have to pay a tax.

I'm pretty sure this is what the abbreviations and explanations are but if I am wrong someone will be along with the correct information.

Right on the money.[grin]

Well 90% on the money.

Class 3 refers to the dealer that buys and sells the NFA or Title II weapons.

SO they aren't class 3 weapons they are Title II weapons.

and the CLEO is the LE official that you ask to sign the Form 4.

They ask you to give them a reason for the transfer normally a good reason is adding to my collection of military weapons.

Form 4 at link below.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f53204.pdf

But if this is for a SBR that is not already registered from memory You would want a Form 1.

Form 1 not available in electronic format at the moment from BATF website.

http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

Right on the money.[grin]

Last edited:
But keep in mind to make a SBR its a form 1 but to just transfer a already registered SBR its a form 4 unless your a SOT and then its a form 3.

25 years ago I was about to get my first Title II weapon a nice Mac10 in 9mm.

I found out what the procedure was and realised I needed a CLEO Sign off.

I found (At the time) it was a much shorter proccess to apply and receive the 01 FFL and 03 SOT and then transfer the MG on a form 3 rather than do the transfer as a unlicensed individual.

I beat the estimated form 4 transfer by 3 months in doing this.

Guess what, At that time there was no background check to become a FFL or SOT. I found out after about 10 years of having a FFL and SOT that they started to do a background check on dealers renewing their licenses when I was sent a correspondence from treasury dept about an event in my past history when I was young.

To be honest, I didn't even catch that part. I was referring to his correctly answering hunter46's question about what SBR and CLEO meant. You are of course correct, SBR is a form 1.

Bad13
There is a complete outline of how to get SBR approval on my website located here.
http://www.gunco.net/forums/f111/how-get-sbr-approval-28200/

Back
Top Bottom