AR-15 question

is there a minimum length for ar-15s in ma or can I build one with a 14.5 inch barrel not including the length of the brake

Federal law mandates a rifle needs a 16" barrel so you would buy the 14.5 and need to have the muzzle device permanently.....pinned.....to the barrel. Shorter than 16 it becomes a SBR, short barreled rifle. I believe Mass state law prohibits us from owning a SBR even if you have a machine gun license and all the tax stamps in the world.

I should have said that muzzle device needs to get the barrel to the legal 16". They are usually sold a few tenths over length so there is no issue complying.

The length restriction is federal issue.

14.5" is OK as long as the overall length with the brake or FS is 16". If you have a preban lower you can have a FS welded on. If you have a post ban lower you need to have a brake welded on.

Mass-diver:2013537 said:
You can own SBRs in MA. The only thing you really can't have here is suppressors :( which sucks

Damn, learned something tonight myself. The old dog....well, anyway, time to look seriously at that 11.5" bbl again. Thanks for setting me straight.

I am pretty sure you still need a Federal tax stamp and permission from your local Chief of Police.

Damn, learned something tonight myself. The old dog....well, anyway, time to look seriously at that 11.5" bbl again. Thanks for setting me straight.

the federal dealer's license trumps MA state law. it is quite legal for you to have silencers in Mass if you have a Class 3 dealer's license. This is one reason why, in the past 30 years or so, there are 10x as many Class 3's as there were! :) Nearly as manifold increase in Title II makers, too. the latter license is just $1000 a year and it can make you 1/4 mill a year, after tax, legally, easily, too.

Back
Top Bottom