AR-15 Purchase

So I'm looking for an AR-15. What specifically is NOT legal in Mass. as far as the barrel,stock, flash suppressor and so forth?

Also where can I find one. Seems like there aren't many around?

Thx
[frown]

You can only have one of the following on a post ban gun:

Pistol grip (you will pick this one)
bayo lug
flash suppressor
grenade launcher
collapsible stock

Search is your friend

If you are just looking for an AR-15 for the sake of having one, I'd keep your eye in your local gunshops for a new one. The manufacturers are starting to catch up with the panic demand. As far as what is allowed here in Mass, if the gun was manufactured prior to 9/94 then you can have collapsable stock, bayo lug, flash hider, ect(but you will pay a premium for it). If you do indeed want a new gun, then you will need one that is Mass compliant, basically an AWB era (94-04) configuration, (no flash hider, bayo lug, collapsable/folding stock) which is what Mass gun shops are selling. You are allowed to have a muzzle brake as long as it is either pinned on a crowned barrel or permanently fixed on a threaded barrel.

Fours Seasons has a small order of the following in stock:

Brand new Colt HBAR 5.56/.223 MA legal rifles are in stock.
They arrived today just as we were closing and we did not open the boxes.
Call the shop on Friday for model availability and pricing.

I'd jump on it as they will not likely last.

Rich

Fours Seasons has a small order of the following in stock:

Brand new Colt HBAR 5.56/.223 MA legal rifles are in stock.
They arrived today just as we were closing and we did not open the boxes.
Call the shop on Friday for model availability and pricing.

I'd jump on it as they will not likely last.

Rich

How is somebody in MA supposed to buy a brand new Colt AR15?

Last edited:
Jdubois... what did I say that was incorrect? I know you are right, but help me understand the error of my ways!

I'm just questioning the ability of Four Seasons to sell new Colt ARs in Massachusetts, because Colts are specifically named in the law as being 'assault weapons' no matter what kind of configuration they come in.

FWIW....
A friend of mine just purchased one of the above Colts mentioned and Four Seasons told him that they are new in the box. Does that create a problem for him with regards to the AWB guidelines? He said that a couple of other customers also made the same purchases..New in the box Colts.

I saw one of these Colts when I was up there recently, and from what I could see, they were brand new...certainly NOT pre-94.

He called Colt and they are on vacation until Jan 5th 2009 I think he said. But he says that the serial number is NOT on the list above. So he's pretty confused now. Is it a leagl purchase or what? His feathers are all ruffled now..LOL

I can't make a legal determination, but it certainly sounds iffy to me. Might want to give Darius or one of the other lawyers a call and get a professional opinion.

Is there really a "name ban" in ma?

Doubt it. I also doubt that fs would sell someone an illegal rifle.

-Mike

Is there really a "name ban" in ma?

C140 S121:

"“Assault weapon”, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as:
(i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta AR70 (SC70);
(iv) Colt AR15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC;
(vi) SWD M10, M11, M1 1/9 and M12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC9, TECDC9 and TEC22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;"

Well... since it's a 'name ban' as drgrant put it, and that rifle is named an 'M4' not an 'AR15', perhaps it's ok. Still, I'd talk to a lawyer just to feel comfortable about it.

Well... since it's a 'name ban' as drgrant put it, and that rifle is named an 'M4' not an 'AR15', perhaps it's ok.

reading through the thread, that is what I was thinking. During the original AWB Didn't colt change the name of the AR's they were making from ar-15 to something else to get around the name ban? I think this is the case here, since it doesnt say colt AR-15, it wouldnt fall under the name ban.

reading through the thread, that is what I was thinking. During the original AWB Didn't colt change the name of the AR's they were making from ar-15 to something else to get around the name ban? I think this is the case here, since it doesnt say colt AR-15, it wouldnt fall under the name ban.

Well that would make sense, since an AR-15 is an evil, deadly, icky, assault weapon and an M-4 is just a nice snuggly fun target rifle. [rolleyes]

Welcome to the insanity that is MA firearms law. [sad]

The only question I have about that is the wording, "or copies or duplicates of the weapons" In other words, a simple name change wouldn't do it. Is an M4 sufficiently different than an AR15 so as not to be a copy of it?

Interesting thread... are you aware of any dealers in addition to Fours Seasons that have sold the Colt Sportster Match HBAR in Massachusetts? Is Four Seasons alone in this and blazing new territory? Or is that normal practice for Mass firearms dealers?

Thanks,

Rich

Interesting thread... are you aware of any dealers in addition to Fours Seasons that have sold the Colt Sportster Match HBAR in Massachusetts? Is Four Seasons alone in this and blazing new territory? Or is that normal practice for Mass firearms dealers?

Thanks,

Rich

im sure FS wouldnt be testing any waters. From my observations they are overly cautious in their dealings. They wont even sell a 10/22 to FID holders. I wonder how they are with sales to those with an LTC-B

The only question I have about that is the wording, "or copies or duplicates of the weapons" In other words, a simple name change wouldn't do it. Is an M4 sufficiently different than an AR15 so as not to be a copy of it?

i understand what your saying, but in that case, how would any new AR's be sold in mass?

Back
Top Bottom