AR-15 Purchase (legal) question

So recently a friend told me about a place that can get you what you want legally so I took the time and payed them a visit to inquire about an AR-15. They offered to sell me an upper and lower where I them “assemble” it (push the pins together) myself and later register (they do it). The upper has the compliance work done along with the pinned stock on the lower. They also had pre-ban magazines to sell so I had the chance to walk out with a brand new AR-15.

In the end, the rifle is basically an exact copy of the rifle visible on the manufacturers website but with the compliance work done. I am confused because of all the topics of people buying pre-ban lowers or pre-ban rifles which I assume they plan to either be in full compliance or add accessories that the rifle above wouldn’t never be capable of having (flash hider, collapsable stock etc)?

Not looking to start a legal/not legal battle but if this is acceptable, why are some dealers only offering fixed magazines or pre-ban stuff?

MODS, if this topic has been beaten to death, please delete it.

yeah, it was beaten to death, but it never dies...

pre-ban lowers give some a warm fuzzy feeling. they want to believe it will make a huge difference when all AR owners will be rounded up and called into gestapo to surrender their arms.
i was always pessimistic about final outcome of all this - and can only repeat the same - enjoy it while it lasts.

The reason why some dealers only offer fixed mag and prebans is because most dealers aren’t legal experts. That combined with the fact that being a dealer is their livelihood makes them risk adverse, so 99% of FFLs comply with the AG’s 2016 enforcement notice. This has made many dealers believe that pretty much all AR type semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines are illegal assault weapons.

First off, your friend is an idiot, second the place selling doesn't know what they are talking about.

If the upper is "compliant" and the stock is either fixed or pinned, then it's not an AW. And there are many reputable shops selling them. Here, I pulled this off the internet. This is what makes an AW, I bolded the important part.

Semi-automatic rifles manufactured after 9/13/1994 with detachable magazines and two or more of the following features:

• Folding or telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • Bayonet mount
  • Flash hider or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
  • Grenade launcher

First off, your friend is an idiot, second the place selling doesn't know what they are talking about.

If the upper is "compliant" and the stock is either fixed or pinned, then it's not an AW. And there are many reputable shops selling them. Here, I pulled this off the internet. This is what makes an AW, I bolded the important part.
His friend told him of a place where he could buy what he wanted....and that makes the friend an idiot?

All new people start out questions with "my friend". Why doesnt anyone just say, I have a question? Or do a little searching. I only use NES for my news. I wont ask here about any legal issues or gun laws. I live in a free state.

Thank you for this information. The part that confuses me the most is folks paying a premium for a pre-ban lower for simply building something which this one dealer offers for way less. As far as I know a pre-ban lower allows you to build without the restrictions of the AWB?

The reason why some dealers only offer fixed mag and prebans is because most dealers aren’t legal experts. That combined with the fact that being a dealer is their livelihood makes them risk adverse, so 99% of FFLs comply with the AG’s 2016 enforcement notice. This has made many dealers believe that pretty much all AR type semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines are illegal assault weapons.
This makes sense. So dealers such as the one I mentioned sees the enforcement differently?

His friend told him of a place where he could buy what he wanted....and that makes the friend an idiot?
Still trying to figure it out myself 😂. This is a legit question. In the original post I even mentioned that mods can delete this at anytime.

All new people start out questions with "my friend". Why doesnt anyone just say, I have a question? Or do a little searching. I only use NES for my news. I wont ask here about any legal issues or gun laws. I live in a free state.
“I Only use NES for my news”😂😂

But you make it over to the MGTOW thread don’t ya!!!!!! FRAUD!!!!!!!!😂😂😂

Anyways, new people are always going to ask the same questions we’ve all seen asked 10 million times. Between that and dupe threads I don’t know why some guys get so worked up over it.

Follow the law as written put the damn thing together and choot it!👍🏻

It’s just risk tolerance. Like not turning on a red light even when legal to do so.

And you failed as a longtime lurker. Lurk harder and read more.
Even though I read a ton, I didn’t see any topics on whether a weapon that was basically completed already was brought into the state and made legal by making it compliant. If such a thing is possible, why spend a fortune on a lower or pre-ban AR?

“I Only use NES for my news”😂😂

But you make it over to the MGTOW thread don’t ya!!!!!! FRAUD!!!!!!!!😂😂😂

Anyways, new people are always going to ask the same questions we’ve all seen asked 10 million times. Between that and dupe threads I don’t know why some guys get so worked up over it.

Follow the law as written put the damn thing together and choot it!👍🏻
Your last paragraph makes the most sense so far in this whole thread. Probably why dealers do it. Follow as it says and have fun.

Even though I read a ton, I didn’t see any topics on whether a weapon that was basically completed already was brought into the state and made legal by making it compliant. If such a thing is possible, why spend a fortune on a lower or pre-ban AR?
That sounds exactly like what the AG wants to interpret as illegal so you’ll have to understand people being skeptical of you when asking a question like this.

A pre’94 lower let’s you own a rifle with “all” the evil features and is clearly grounded in MGL.

Thank you for this information. The part that confuses me the most is folks paying a premium for a pre-ban lower for simply building something which this one dealer offers for way less. As far as I know a pre-ban lower allows you to build without the restrictions of the AWB?

A few reasons:
- “Historical” significance of the older rifles
- You can do whatever you want with features. If you like to tinker, like swapping muzzle devices, this becomes more valuable. You aren’t easily swapping pin/welded muzzle devices at home and removing often destroys the old one. Without a low profile brake, you can’t change gas blocks without removing either
- Risk tolerance. Pre-94 stuff is clearly and objectively “fine” (for now). You’ve seen the ambiguity caused by the 2016 notice and pre-94 avoids that

Not looking to start a legal/not legal battle but if this is acceptable, why are some dealers only offering fixed magazines or pre-ban stuff?

MODS, if this topic has been beaten to death, please delete it.
There were/are dealers/manufacturers on the south shore that were pushing the fixed mag lowers hard saying that you can only legally have fixed mag AR or a pre-ban (1994 AWB not 2016 bullshit). Of course this was a business move on their part to scare people into buying their fixed mag lowers. It seems some gun owners have since realized it's legal to have a brand new AR as long as it is assault weapons ban (AWB) compliant (no flash hider, bayonet lug, adjustable stock etc.)
Those fixed mag lowers are retarded. I mean MAYBE if you want an AR pistol then that's a workaround but aside from that it's dumb

Sometimes friends ask their friends questions that they don't know the answer to. Then we go ask the place we know has the answer. Sometimes that's all it really is.

That sounds exactly like what the AG wants to interpret as illegal so you’ll have to understand people being skeptical of you when asking a question like this.
And that’s what stinks about the laws in this state. Your answer summarizes perfectly my confusion.

There were/are dealers/manufacturers on the south shore that were pushing the fixed mag lowers hard saying that you can only legally have fixed mag AR or a pre-ban (1994 AWB not 2016 bullshit). Of course this was a business move on their part to scare people into buying their fixed mag lowers. It seems some gun owners have since realized it's legal to have a brand new AR as long as it is assault weapons ban (AWB) compliant (no flash hider, bayonet lug, adjustable stock etc.)
Those fixed mag lowers are retarded. I mean MAYBE if you want an AR pistol then that's a workaround but aside from that it's dumb
I’ve been to one of those shops and almost fell for it. A premium to build a fixed mag AR. Naive me never saw it as a business strategy. 🧐

Back
Top Bottom