• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Purchase (legal) question

So recently a friend told me about a place that can g...............

Not looking to start a legal/not legal battle but if this is acceptable, why are some dealers only offering fixed magazines or pre-ban stuff?

MODS, if this topic has been beaten to death, please delete it.
Should have taken him at his word and deleted it.

Was the “cost” @Len-2A Training that referring to, the cost of an attorney ie Neil Tassel?
Yes, but there is more to it.

The "cost" also includes having your name dragged in the mud (even if you "win") by the police, DA, media, loss of job and loss of friends/neighbors.

Depends what you go by.

If you go strictly by an INTERPRETATION from the AG, the answer is NO. You can find the FAQ online that answers this. Per the FAQ it has to be registered before 7/20/16 ... although this is retarded because if you did a 4473 before that date (in the case of a complete lower) it should be good to go as proof it was obtained. But again, this is an interpretation, not a law.

If you go by the ACTUAL LAW, as long as it doesn't have the evil features, it is 100% fine. It would still be fine with evil features as long as you ship it to an FFL that will pin the stock and muzzle device to make it AWB compliant. Can't have too much evil, but a little evil is fine.

Remember ... ONE is a LAW. The OTHER is an INTERPRETATION.

Show me where in the law it says a rifle has to be registered before 7/20/16
T.Y.! The trouble seems to be that most FFLs here won't transfer anything that can't be turned into a frame. Hello AK-47s and off-roster revolvers.

That makes truly Pre Healey AR15 lowers worth their weight in gold!!!

Better to pay the big bucks for a Pre Healey than end up in Prison Gen Pop.

No, it doesn't. Someone could still be prosecuted in the way this guy is, with the full bologna treatment. There's no like ombudsman at the PD that assures you're not charged based on made up laws. You will still have to retain an attorney and hope that he can convince the prosecutor that he's barking up the wrong tree. And still have the funding to do that. And if the prosecutor goes full retard you still might have to go to trial.

Pre-Healey bullshit might make you feel good but it will not stop a malicious prosecution attempt. I've heard of lesser things from other attorneys, the late Cross-X (Darius Arbabi, may he rest in peace) told me of a client he had who got prosecuted for a Walther P22 on a class B being a large capacity handgun. The arresting cop claimed "well it holds 10 in the magazine and a chambered round that makes it 11 and it makes it large capacity" [rofl]

No, it doesn't. Someone could still be prosecuted in the way this guy is, with the full bologna treatment. There's no like ombudsman at the PD that assures you're not charged based on made up laws. You will still have to retain an attorney and hope that he can convince the prosecutor that he's barking up the wrong tree. And still have the funding to do that. And if the prosecutor goes full retard you still might have to go to trial.

Pre-Healey bullshit might make you feel good but it will not stop a malicious prosecution attempt. I've heard of lesser things from other attorneys, the late Cross-X (Darius Arbabi, may he rest in peace) told me of a client he had who got prosecuted for a Walther P22 on a class B being a large capacity handgun. The arresting cop claimed "well it holds 10 in the magazine and a chambered round that makes it 11 and it makes it large capacity" [rofl]
100%

What Healey released is HER OWN interpretation and guidance, not the LAW.

Healey is not the AG anymore and since it is only an interpretation it does not stop a DA, or new AG, from interpreting this in a different way and selling it to the Jury.

Pre-Healey lowers are worth their weight on Depends, not gold.

Honestly, if someone is so damn scared, just don't own an AR15, buy one of the clones that use different internals so they don't pass "the test" and move on.

100%

What Healey released is HER OWN interpretation and guidance, not the LAW.

Healey is not the AG anymore and since it is only an interpretation it does not stop a DA, or new AG, from interpreting this in a different way and selling it to the Jury.

Pre-Healey lowers are worth their weight on Depends, not gold.

Honestly, if someone is so damn scared, just don't own an AR15, buy one of the clones that use different internals so they don't pass "the test" and move on.
so, would a standard AR-15 lower, which is "the same", matched with a BRN180 upper, which is NOT the same as an AR-15, be an AW, based on the copy/replica standard?

so, would a standard AR-15 lower, which is "the same", matched with a BRN180 upper, which is NOT the same as an AR-15, be an AW, based on the copy/replica standard?
When you read the FAQ, per the AG interpretation (not the law), part of the test includes sharing parts. Your AR15 lower shares parts with an AR15.

It is important to highlight that is an INTERPRETATION, not a law.

And so far, even though the State knows through the FA10 registration who bought a new AR15, no one has been convicted.

Healey also said she’d consider anyone in possession of an AR lower to be in possession of an assault weapon and simultaneously said if you build your AR lower into a 22 rifle, that’s acceptable, so don’t take anything she says as gospel. She’s not a legislator. She’s a politician. Her enforcement action circus was to get attention when Hillary was the front runner in 2016. Healey had aspirations of attorney general which ended when Trump won.

As Broc said, if you’re that concerned, get a SCAR, MCX, or APC223 or pony up for a pre-94. Or just GTFO of MA to begin with.

Last edited:
yeah, it was beaten to death, but it never dies...

pre-ban lowers give some a warm fuzzy feeling. they want to believe it will make a huge difference when all AR owners will be rounded up and called into gestapo to surrender their arms.
i was always pessimistic about final outcome of all this - and can only repeat the same - enjoy it while it lasts.
Pre bans are codified as legal in MA under MGL (which basically just follows the Federal AWB of 94) so much so that even dealers can sell them fully assembled with all the “evil features.” And yes- a modern compliant build follows MGL as well- but it’s a “grey area”. Some cops that don’t know the law may be more apt to charge. And as far as I know it has happened- it just doesn’t stick, but that doesn’t mean you won’t lose your LTC and incur major legal fees…. Ask Neil Tassel. Although I see your point, there is a difference to some regard.

Edit: @nstassel - Are PD’s in your experience instructed to respected the pre ban ruling? I had a substantial talk with legal experts at GOAL that agreed- pre ban OK- “compliant” VERY grey area and knew of some officers instructed to press AWB charges if caught.

Last edited:
Pre bans are codified as legal in MA under MGL (which basically just follows the Federal AWB of 94) so much so that even dealers can sell them fully assembled with all the “evil features.” And yes- a modern compliant build follows MGL as well- but it’s a “grey area”. Some cops that don’t know the law may be more apt to charge. And as far as I know it has happened- it just doesn’t stick, but that doesn’t mean you won’t lose your LTC and incur major legal fees…. Ask Neil Tassel. Although I see your point, there is a difference to some regard.

[rofl]

Until they make them illegal or the new AGdecidese to reinterpret the AWB and everyone sh*ts their pants a second time.

I bet they do us the way Illinois just did today. Complete ban. No grandfathering.

Hope I am wrong
i lost contact with all of them, but i used to know a bunch of people in IL who had quite some collections. not like mine pitiful 1 safe, a real 'collections'.
quite interesting how it all will be unfolding there now.

what does this mean? I see it mentioned here & there
35E63FD1-E7EE-476F-B0D7-F24253D2C0A0.jpeg

what does this mean? I see it mentioned here & there
Fudds are antis who might happen to be gun owners. They say things like "I support the second amendment, but no honest man needs more than 10 rounds" or "as a gun owner, nobody needs an AR-15 for deer."

Some people will say that this is about only owning older firearms made of wood and steel. They're unfortunately confused. It had nothing to do with what you choose to own and everything to do with what you think you can can choose for others.

Fudds are antis who might happen to be gun owners. They say things like "I support the second amendment, but no honest man needs more than 10 rounds" or "as a gun owner, nobody needs an AR-15 for deer."

Some people will say that this is about only owning older firearms made of wood and steel. They're unfortunately confused. It had nothing to do with what you choose to own and everything to do with what you think you can can choose for others.
Ok, got it, thanks for explaining! 🤙🤙

Fudds are the a**h***s that think 2A is about hunting. “No one needs an AR15 to hunt deer.“

Fudds are the a**h***s that think 2A is about hunting. “No one needs an AR15 to hunt deer.“
kinda true. ar-10 is overall way handier, and you can also shoot moderate to large hogs with it as well. that ruger sfar toy is a really nice one. :)

kinda true. ar-10 is overall way handier, and you can also shoot moderate to large hogs with it as well. that ruger sfar toy is a really nice one. :)
I’m really impressed with the Ruger SFAR. Out-POFing POF. That said, for a 6.8 lb AR10, it needs some more weight to soak up some of the recoil. I do like that it has a number of great features including an adjustable gas block at that price point.

That said, for a 6.8 lb AR10, it needs some more weight to soak up some of the recoil
not true! well, ideally it needs a good (better) brake, but even with its own brake i was shooting it standing up with a 1-6x glass at the steel plates like a ping-ping-ping.
went over 150 rounds with it on that day, and, yeah, i would feel it on the next day, but it does shoot smooth. i may add a pad to its stock in the future.
and groups kinda not too bad either, quite ok for a hunting rig anyway. that`s a 175gr noslers on 44gr varget.

1673405954308.png

Funny. My 20" SFAR shoots softer than my M1.
it has a decent brake. not like a vg6 gamma decent, but, decent.

but i got to tell you, the 16" 6.5CM one i made on the faxon barrel is only like a 3/4 lb more than SFAR and it is a great one to shoot. for a hunt it is probably better, as it has a half recoil.
difficult to compare. i am kinda partial to that gay caliber. :)

How do you like the SFAR? I love my Aero AR308 and built it for an absolute steal but the SFAR has really caught my eye specifically because of it being designed as a small-frame rifle.
I've only played with it a little, but so far I like it. It's light, relatively soft recoiling, and seems to work. Now I need to make myself shoot it more. I just don't want to burn the money on ammo...

Back
Top Bottom