• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR 15 Mags Vs Pre-Ban Mags.

Hello all. I have been searching for some time on how to determine the difference between Pre-Ban and Non Pre-Ban AR 15 mags. New to the AR world. Any advice or if you direct me to any helpful reads I would very much appreciate it. Thanks so much

The only true way I to look at the date stamp. It's usually stamped on the outside of the mag body and has the month and year of manufacturing. (9-94). Some are stamped on the inside of the body and can be seen by removing the bottom plate and spring from the body. Others aren't dated the only thing I don't like about undated is proof. If the date of manufacture ever came into question I'd like to be able to show proof that the mags are pre-ban.

Somewhat incorrect...

By simply looking at the manufacturer in many cases you can tell whether they're pre-ban or not. Go look at the ARFCOM AR-15 Magazine FAQ - more than a few manufacturers made mags only before the ban.

I have a couple dozen high-cap pre-ban AR mags from several different manufacturers and NONE of them have a date of any form stamped on them - inside or outside. Many post ban mags will have the month and year of man'f stamped on them and may also have something like "LE or Export Only" stamped on them if they were made during the AWB ban. Once the Federal AWB sunsetted, most all mag man'fs ceased the date stamping, etc. There are some easy ones....some manufacturers didn't even exist prior to 1994....others stopped making mags prior to 1994....some didn't start making mags until AFTER the AWB sunset. And just like with some Glock mags, there are some AR mags out there that you just can't tell when they were made.

I have a couple dozen high-cap pre-ban AR mags from several different manufacturers and NONE of them have a date of any form stamped on them - inside or outside. Many post ban mags will have the month and year of man'f stamped on them and may also have something like "LE or Export Only" stamped on them if they were made during the AWB ban. Once the Federal AWB sunsetted, most all mag man'fs ceased the date stamping, etc. There are some easy ones....some manufacturers didn't even exist prior to 1994....others stopped making mags prior to 1994....some didn't start making mags until AFTER the AWB sunset. And just like with some Glock mags, there are some AR mags out there that you just can't tell when they were made.

Good post. One thing I know for sure: If it says: "C-Products" - it's not pre-ban - even though some have seen fit to offer them as such...

Also, keep in mind that there is no real definition of what is an acceptable rebuild of a mag. What parts are ok to change and have the mag still be preban? Can I change the body of a mag? can I change all internals of another?

Hello all. I have been searching for some time on how to determine the difference between Pre-Ban and Non Pre-Ban AR 15 mags. New to the AR world. Any advice or if you direct me to any helpful reads I would very much appreciate it. Thanks so much

I think you're going to be able to classify AR mags into three distinct groups, and act accordingly.

1. Documented pre-ban. These mags will have pre-Sep 13, 1994 date stamps on them. Center Industries, for example, started marking their mags sometime in the late '80's. Frequently this is on the inside of the mag body. Or they will be from manufacturers who were not making mags during the ban, like Adventure Line or Parsons.
2. Documented post-ban. C-Products, PMags, mags marked "Restricted..." or clearly date stamped after 9/94. Clearly not MA-legal. No gray area.
3. The Great Unknown. Unstamped mags from manufacturers who were around pre-, during, and post-ban. Could be from before the ban (unstamped) or after the ban (unstamped). May be MA legal or not. Frequently no way to tell.

If I lived in MA, or living to the North, if I ever decided to compete in MA, I would only possess mags from Group 1. I would care for them and nurture them as I would my children, and forever be on the lookout to acquire more economically. There are many arguments made for mags in Group 3, but to my simple way of thinking, the price of documented pre-ban mags is <<<< than the price of just one hour of the cheapest attorney's time.

Bush master mags

I e mailed bushmaster asking how I could tell pre from post. They answered that with their mags there is no way to tell the difference

I think you're going to be able to classify AR mags into three distinct groups, and act accordingly.

1. Documented pre-ban. These mags will have pre-Sep 13, 1994 date stamps on them. Center Industries, for example, started marking their mags sometime in the late '80's. Frequently this is on the inside of the mag body. Or they will be from manufacturers who were not making mags during the ban, like Adventure Line or Parsons.

I have Center Industries mags NIW that have the month and year on the wrap, but nothing on or inside the mag at all. Sanchez is another contract man'f that falls into the Adventureline and Parsons category (I have some Parsons too). With the Center Industries, the military contract number is stamped on the floorplate of the mag. This number can be directly tied to the month and year of manufacture.

I have Center Industries mags NIW that have the month and year on the wrap, but nothing on or inside the mag at all. Sanchez is another contract man'f that falls into the Adventureline and Parsons category (I have some Parsons too). With the Center Industries, the military contract number is stamped on the floorplate of the mag. This number can be directly tied to the month and year of manufacture.
No surprise. As I said, CI didn't start marking their mags until some time in the late '80's, and some say not all CI's mags were marked until late into 1991. The only problem with date or contract markings on the floorplate is that you may want (or be forced) to change out floorplates as they get bent or have the tabs broken.

My point was that a mag body stamped 07/92 is a documented pre-ban mag. No questions. Any time you pick it up, it screams "pre-ban mag." No "well, it doesn't say Restricted...." or "but, they didn't start using five welds until after such and such a date," etc. No selling. No sweating. No lawyers.

I wonder why the CI mags I have that are marked July / 1992 on the wrap have no markings inside or outside of the mag. I'm also concerned that the floorplate of the mags doesn't have any tabs on it at all - tabs are on the mag body. This is so confusing despite all the expert commentary here. I am still mystified.

I wonder why the CI mags I have that are marked July / 1992 on the wrap have no markings inside or outside of the mag. I'm also concerned that the floorplate of the mags doesn't have any tabs on it at all - tabs are on the mag body. This is so confusing despite all the expert commentary here. I am still mystified.
I meant the tab at the rear you use to remove the floorplate. Sometimes they bend and snap off from removal or bouncing on the ground.

Yup...If I've said it once - I've said it a thousand times - never trust your freedom to a gun dealer...[wink]

I dont know whats worse, that they are handing out felonies to unsuspecting customers, or that they are taking a 7 dollar product and marking it at $40

Rule of thumb- don't believe anyone who tries to sell you a plastic preban.

Bad advice. There are plenty of Orlites and Thermelts. (er, Thermold/Master Molder) mags that are preban, and all are "plastic".

Yes, there are a lot of newer plastic mags that are usually not preban (mostly pmags, some random junk out there by USA promag and the like) but saying that "plastic is a bad as a rule of thumb" is foolish.

-Mike

Bad advice. There are plenty of Orlites and Thermelts. (er, Thermold/Master Molder) mags that are preban, and all are "plastic".

Yes, there are a lot of newer plastic mags that are usually not preban (mostly pmags, some random junk out there by USA promag and the like) but saying that "plastic is a bad as a rule of thumb" is foolish.

-Mike
Some are date stamped too! Provided you don't go FA, they don't melt either [wink]

Back
Top Bottom