• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Magazines?

So a friend of mine went to a class last week and built his own AR-15. Lots of work, an all day class, but at the end of the day he had the AR-15 that he had wanted for a long long time. He purchased two 10-round magazines, but of course he wants bigger ones.

He asked me if 30-round mags are currently legal in MA. I'm pretty sure that in the past, they were VERY illegal, but is that still the case? Or could he buy (if he could find!) pre-ban 30-rounders, and would those be legal?

Just asking for a friend.

>10 round mags are legal in MA if they were made before September of 1994. You can determine what's preban by learning the different mag styles, or just buying dated mags if you're lazy. Don't get drawn into preban hype and pay gun store prices. Even externally dated mags can be found on national boards like Afrcom for $20 or less, and undated ones are often barely $10. Or buy them from the classifieds here for a couple bucks more.

I've been through probably a hundred of them. You get used to what's preban after a while. I have a few Nam-era 20-rounders for sale right now if your friend needs some quick.

By the way, in about 45 of the 50 states, preban AR mags are just old mags no one wants when you can get new Pmags for $8.99. If your friend takes his time he'll probably run across a nice shop owner in the southern states somewhere trying to clean out the back shelves. That's when you pounce.

Last edited:
By the way, in about 45 of the 50 states, preban AR mags are just old mags no one wants when you can get new Pmags for $8.99. If your friend takes his time he'll probably run across a nice shop owner in the southern states somewhere trying to clean out the back shelves. That's when you pounce.

Sweet!

+1

I vacationed in North Carolina this summer, stopped in a few pawn shops and gun shops, rummaged through their box of old mags and scored a few dated '92 & '93's.
One owner helped me sift through a box. I think he felt sorry for this Yankee and my attempt to explain the MA Law.

So a friend of mine went to a class last week and built his own AR-15. Lots of work, an all day class, but at the end of the day he had the AR-15 that he had wanted for a long long time.

All day to build an AR? What did they do for the other 7 hours? lol

All day to build an AR? What did they do for the other 7 hours? lol

Those classes usually include the instructor going into the background of the AR platform & history, sights, gas operation system, etc., etc., etc.

The build includes multiple students (with questions during the course of the build + discussions of build-tools to have) = takes a lot more than 1 hour to go over....

Those classes usually include the instructor going into the background of the AR platform & history, sights, gas operation system, etc., etc., etc.

The build includes multiple students (with questions during the course of the build + discussions of build-tools to have) = takes a lot more than 1 hour to go over....

Lighten up dude, it was meant as humor. Has no one ever explained the meaning of "lol" to you?
I have hosted AK build parties, I know full well what goes on at one.

LOL indeed. Although HKCraigT is quite correct, it really did take almost all day, and a nasty day it was, too. Plus, the Pats/Broncos game started at 4:30 and NOBODY wanted to stay much past then anyway, so it was a VERY motivated class. And fascinating as well. Also, there were 11 people in the class, 10 of whom didn't know much about building guns, and that slowed things down a bit as well. According to my friend.

This thread reminds me. If you don't have a special roll pin punch with the knob in the middle, know how you can keep you punch from sliding off the roll pin? Take a short piece of plastic tubing that fits over both the punch and the roll pin. I did my lower on my computer desk with nothing but that and a plastic clamp to hold it upright.

If your still looking for 20 and 30 round pre-bans there were plenty at the Gun show in Wilmington today and tomorrow. Prices ranged from 20-35 a mag. There are also plenty to be had in the NES Classifieds.

Yeah I got a few myself, preban 30 rounders in the original dated packaging for $35.

Lots of those old Air Force Colt 20 rounders with aluminum followers too.

Back
Top Bottom