AR-15 Lubrication

There are folks out there who make rapid, accurate, semi-auto fire part of their shooting regimen... It's like target shooting - only faster...[grin]

This is from the carbine match this past weekend. 30 rounds on the move. Time on the clock was 15 seconds and change. Mostly A's. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I run my AR with Militec 1 on the, trigger group, bolt and interior carrier surfaces and on the buffer tube spring. Mil-Comm TW25B grease on the bolt carrier "rails". The grease stays put for around 500+ rounds before needing a touch up, but I'm running a piston setup so my receiver temps are extremely low compared to the standard gas impingement setup.

+1 for CLP too as I use that usually to break in a new firearm then I switch to Militec and TW25B

Last edited:
im glad no one has mentioned WD40, I see many people blasting this stuff into their guns and wondering why they wont function....WD40 might be good for cleaning or exterior protection.
I follow armalite's quide to lube of the AR I put light gun grease where they say to and gun oil where they say.....I only have about 4000 rounds through my AR 90% wolf ammo and no problems other than crappy mags.

PS other than a quick wipe and a bore cleaning I dont give my AR a good cleaning to about 1k rounds.

I don't know of you meant it this way; but I took that as a statement saying you believe only the military should have full auto weapons.
You took it wrong, or I worded it awkwardly. My post reads "I'll leave full-auto rifle maintenance to the military." Meaning, they have a TM-something that would outline a better lubrication regimen for the M16/M4 than I.

My hat is off to you guys who can accurately fire that quickly. I've never tried it.

My hat is off to you guys who can accurately fire that quickly. I've never tried it.

You should try a USPSA style rifle match. They are a lot of fun. Last year I tried shooting 600 yards (although it was with a 4x scope and a bipod), but it was fun and great learning experience. There is something to be learned in every game... well Not IDPA, but most games [smile]

.058 splits is damn fast.

i was the 2nd fastest on my team. one kid was just over 20 per second. not really fair to compare to rifle triggers though. my marker had an electronic controlled pneumatic bolt. the trigger contacted a micro switch and i removed the springs and replaced them with opposed magnets. "hairpin" would be an understatement. i have tried rapid firing (not bump firing) a few guns and have had some success but only with smaller calibers can i keep "accurate." when my new spikes comes in maybe i'll give it a try.

You should try a USPSA style rifle match. They are a lot of fun. Last year I tried shooting 600 yards (although it was with a 4x scope and a bipod), but it was fun and great learning experience. There is something to be learned in every game... well Not IDPA, but most games [smile]

I see there is a group near me in Augusta that is USPSA affiliated. I won't shoot it during my Highpower schedule, but maybe at the end of the season I'll go check it out.

I know the haters are going to hate but, I like the method he uses.
[video=youtube_share;OXIsKEHo-4g]http://youtu.be/OXIsKEHo-4g?t=9s[/video]

Back
Top Bottom