AR-15 Lubrication

Sorry, but I think this is marketing BS; tests results can be manipulated to favor a particular product. Synthetic motor oil is at LEAST as good as gun oil. When you consider the stresses that motor oil is subjected to, it looks like "overkill" in a gun.

Surprised no one asked yet.... What Lube does you guys think the SEALs used in their firearms
before they went and got Osama??? [rofl]

(Sorry, I had to... [wink])

Seriously though.. I have used CLP for a while, but have heard good things about Miltech-1, and I plan on trying it because it is easily available around here.

I do agree that Slip 2000 EWL is probably THE best out there from all the wisdom on the interwebs, [laugh] but it is "expensive" and "harder to get" (My downfall to being lazy and cheap... lol.)

MILITEC-1 is the ONLY synthetic oil I run through all of my guns, including my AR's.

Read up on the stuff. It penetrates the molecules of the steel, and was developed for car engines. A LOT of the guys in the desert (Iraq and Afghanistan) are using it..........

MILITEC-1 is the ONLY synthetic oil I run through all of my guns, including my AR's.

Read up on the stuff. It penetrates the molecules of the steel, and was developed for car engines. A LOT of the guys in the desert (Iraq and Afghanistan) are using it..........

So why not just use motor oil?

I know there's a lot of "oil is oil" sentiment. I won't argue it. I used to lube my Uzi with Castrol GTX. I will however say, that I got a sample of Lucas Gun Oil at my local auto parts store and I'm really impressed with how well it holds up on my bolt. I shoot my M4 a ton and am continually amazed by how long I can go between cleanings and lubrication...

I've heard this a lot, but I'm under the impression that, if true, this would be devastating to the makeup of the steel.

Any chemistry majors want to chime in?

I'm not a chemistry major. However, I believe that case hardening of steel can be accomplished by quenching red hot steel in a vat of oil (plus there's more to the process).

Beyond that, my knowledge of chemistry says that if it penetrates a molecule of steel, it's no longer a molecule of steel, it's something else. Even getting between the molecules of a solid isn't happening. Oil is supposed to fill the little canyons in the surface of the steel and aid the two surfaces sliding past each other. Even if something could penetrate the steel molecules, you really don't want that to happen.

So I'm with EddieCoyle on calling BS.

I've used Mobil 1 , Breakfree, and Mpro7.

Top 2 are the Mobil 1 nad the Breakfree CLP. Mobil 1 just sticks on the guns and doesn't run, out performs most other lubricants out there. Internals get the Mobil1, but externals still get the Breakfree + a dash of Hoppes for cologn before it comes out at night.

I've used Mobil 1 , Breakfree, and Mpro7.

Top 2 are the Mobil 1 nad the Breakfree CLP. Mobil 1 just sticks on the guns and doesn't run, out performs most other lubricants out there. Internals get the Mobil1, but externals still get the Breakfree + a dash of Hoppes for cologn before it comes out at night.

wow. the amount of people that use mobil1 on their AR's is surprising. i'll try it for sure. i have always been told CLP for AR's. i like eezox for carry pistols & hunting rifles but its lubrication abilities makes me nervous (even though ive never had or heard of any issues).

I'm not a chemistry major. However, I believe that case hardening of steel can be accomplished by quenching red hot steel in a vat of oil (plus there's more to the process).

That's not how you case harden.

If you just mean 'hardening', then you might be right depending on the composition of the steel. Carbon steels are hardened by heating to the critical temperature (right around the temperature where a magnet no longer sticks to it) and rapidly quenching in water, oil, salt, or cold air. What you quench it in depends on the type of steel. Further heat treating (tempering or even cryogenic treatment) may be necessary depending on the application for the part.

Case hardening was/is a way of hardening the surface of low carbon steels. The steel is packed in an airtight container along with a carbon source like charcoal or bone meal and heated. Carbon diffuses into the steel, which allows it to be hardened. Time and temperature determine how hard the part gets, and how deeply it will be hardened.

What is the purpose of the ATF? I add a little superfine molybdenum disulfide to the synthetic motor oil for enhanced lubrication.

It provides better corrosion protection than straight motor oil. Not necessary for an AR, but I wanted one formula to use on all my guns, including the ones that don't get out that often.

That's not how you case harden.

If you just mean 'hardening', then you might be right depending on the composition of the steel. Carbon steels are hardened by heating to the critical temperature (right around the temperature where a magnet no longer sticks to it) and rapidly quenching in water, oil, salt, or cold air. What you quench it in depends on the type of steel. Further heat treating (tempering or even cryogenic treatment) may be necessary depending on the application for the part.

Case hardening was/is a way of hardening the surface of low carbon steels. The steel is packed in an airtight container along with a carbon source like charcoal or bone meal and heated. Carbon diffuses into the steel, which allows it to be hardened. Time and temperature determine how hard the part gets, and how deeply it will be hardened.

Ok. Sorry for the bad terminology. In addition to not being a chemist, I'm not a metallurgist either. At least I was in the ballpark though.

Depends on how you are shooting. Some oil might work if you shoot 60 rounds in 4hr, but they will burn off if you shoot 60 rounds in 30 seconds.

That sounds similar to the kind of environment modern motor oil is designed for.

Depends on how you are shooting. Some oil might work if you shoot 60 rounds in 4hr, but they will burn off if you shoot 60 rounds in 30 seconds.
I thought we were talking about rifles without the selector switch. I'll leave full-auto rifle maintenance to the military.

Back
Top Bottom