Ar-15 info

jeffg333

NES Member
looking into a S&W M&P 15. I'm new to this rifle and really know nothing.

Is this something that is legal in MA. or do I need certain types of lower assem. to run a higher cap. mag.

I'm very limited in my knowledge

SW811001_1.jpg

I do know what I want in terms of simplicity.

front and rear fold down steel sites
collapsable stock pinned
not a lot of rail system something
light and good to shoot.

now if what I need is not an AR-15 and more towards a Socom 16 in .308 let me know. I know its two different animals. but I'm trying to learn.
mostly target and self defense would be for this right now.

You can run pre ban mags in a post ban lower.

The collapsible stock and a flashider make it illegal on a post ban lower, You can have the stock pinned and replace the flash hider with a muzzle cap or muzzle brake, they will both need to be permanently attached

buy yourself a preban,you can have anything on them u want,you wont be limited to a pined stock or a welded muzzle brake,
you can find them on the classified section of this site,some real nice rifles out there,most with low round count,take your time,
buy a preban!
just my opinion,
have fun

looking into a S&W M&P 15. I'm new to this rifle and really know nothing.

Is this something that is legal in MA. or do I need certain types of lower assem. to run a higher cap. mag.

I'm very limited in my knowledge

SW811001_1.jpg

I do know what I want in terms of simplicity.

front and rear fold down steel sites
collapsable stock pinned
not a lot of rail system something
light and good to shoot.

now if what I need is not an AR-15 and more towards a Socom 16 in .308 let me know. I know its two different animals. but I'm trying to learn.
mostly target and self defense would be for this right now.

take a look at the M&P 15 FT. the "Fixed Tactical" has a pinned stock, no flash hider and ships with 10rd mags. it's made for "ban" states like MA, NY, CA ect...

*or*

see post # 2

buy yourself a preban,you can have anything on them u want,you wont be limited to a pined stock or a welded muzzle brake,
you can find them on the classified section of this site,some real nice rifles out there,most with low round count,take your time,
buy a preban!
just my opinion,
have fun

You can have anything on a preban? Can you have a collapsible stock and a flash hider on a preban? This would go for preban AK's as well? Thanks

ake a look at the M&P 15 FT. the "Fixed Tactical" has a pinned stock, no flash hider and ships with 10rd mags. it's made for "ban" states like MA, NY, CA ect...
Even the 15 FT does not meet CA requirements. The AR15's sold there for new use a straight pull (i.e., manually cocked for each round fired).

Contact Remsport Mfg. in Ludlow, MA. We can build you a MA. custom compliant AR for around the same or less then what you are looking at. You can even come in spec. out your gun and pick out your parts. We can also build you a Pre-ban gun.
Thank you
John
413 579 1994

Contact Remsport Mfg. in Ludlow, MA. We can build you a MA. custom compliant AR for around the same or less then what you are looking at. You can even come in spec. out your gun and pick out your parts. We can also build you a Pre-ban gun.
Thank you
John
413 579 1994

Thanks awesome. When I am ready I will definitely stop in. I am partial to custom :) -jg

overpriced, in my book. Look at Rock River Arms, or pay some smith $50 to assembleparts on a $150 a lower, and get a $500 parts kit from Model One Sales, out of Shotgun News or google them. The Model 1 upper comes already assembled and ready to fire. $700, not $1400. Don't forget the RRA 2 stage, NM drop in trigger job, $100 or so, google for it, and the $150 Ciener .22lr conversion unit. The latter can always be sold for $100 on the Net, and it saves you 25c per shot. It is thus "paid for" in 400 rds, which is one range session. It's perfect for small game, snap shooting practice and training novices.

overpriced, in my book. Look at Rock River Arms, or pay some smith $50 to assembleparts on a $150 a lower, and get a $500 parts kit from Model One Sales, out of Shotgun News or google them. The Model 1 upper comes already assembled and ready to fire. $700, not $1400. Don't forget the RRA 2 stage, NM drop in trigger job, $100 or so, google for it, and the $150 Ciener .22lr conversion unit. The latter can always be sold for $100 on the Net, and it saves you 25c per shot. It is thus "paid for" in 400 rds, which is one range session. It's perfect for small game, snap shooting practice and training novices.

Overpriced? Not really considering they are a far far better quality firearm than any you listed above. If i want a plinker to shoot 20 rounds a week on a saturday i might consider a RRA. If i want a gun to shoot 500 rounds a saturday every saturday with no failures or picky on ammo, i would go with a S&W, DD, Colt, LMT, BCM or a Noveske.

Nobody needs to fire the defensive rifle that much, after mastery is attained (2000 223's, 5000 .22lrs) especially not with the centerfire. I've put thousands of rds of 223 thru my RRA-Model one and my wife's Olympic Plinker over the years, and tens of thousands of rds thru the .22 units. No probs. If a guy is going to burn up $100 a week in rifle ammo, tho, spending another $500 on the basic rifle isn't goint to bother him one bit.

Nobody needs to fire the defensive rifle that much, after mastery is attained (2000 223's, 5000 .22lrs) especially not with the centerfire. I've put thousands of rds of 223 thru my RRA-Model one and my wife's Olympic Plinker over the years, and tens of thousands of rds thru the .22 units. No probs. If a guy is going to burn up $100 a week in rifle ammo, tho, spending another $500 on the basic rifle isn't goint to bother him one bit.

Mastery will never be obtained when you have predetermined what is needed to obtain it

I know how much it took me, and I am nothing special. I am talking about skill from either shoulder, using either eye, too, as befits a man who understands the proper use of cover with a longarm. See, the only diff between a 223 and the .22 unit is the blast and mild amounts of recoil. A good sound suppressor, like the snap on and off, compact, lw Surefire, makes the "canned" 223 just as "tame" as the .22lr conversion unit (without the can). The $1000 for the can and the $200 tax is quickly paid for by the 20c per shot savings of .22lr vs 223, true? :) Have you ever fired an AR in 223, with a good can mounted on it? More importantly, have you ever trained novices (who have never fired an unsuppresed gun) with a suppressed one? They don't flinch, so they are 10x as quick in becoming truly fast and accurate. 5000 rds of .22, instead of 223, saves you $1000, and afterward, the 100's of $ per year so saved to right into your pocket. Since it takes so much less to learn to shoot a "quiet" centerfire rifle than a loud one, this savings amounts to a ton of money in a very few years. :) You are just used to doing things the HARD way, that's all.

I know how much it took me, and I am nothing special. I am talking about skill from either shoulder, using either eye, too, as befits a man who understands the proper use of cover with a longarm. See, the only diff between a 223 and the .22 unit is the blast and mild amounts of recoil. A good sound suppressor, like the snap on and off, compact, lw Surefire, makes the "canned" 223 just as "tame" as the .22lr conversion unit (without the can). The $1000 for the can and the $200 tax is quickly paid for by the 20c per shot savings of .22lr vs 223, true? :) Have you ever fired an AR in 223, with a good can mounted on it? More importantly, have you ever trained novices (who have never fired an unsuppresed gun) with a suppressed one? They don't flinch, so they are 10x as quick in becoming truly fast and accurate. 5000 rds of .22, instead of 223, saves you $1000, and afterward, the 100's of $ per year so saved to right into your pocket. Since it takes so much less to learn to shoot a "quiet" centerfire rifle than a loud one, this savings amounts to a ton of money in a very few years. :) You are just used to doing things the HARD way, that's all.

Hey if works for you great but i train with the rifle and rounds i will actually shoot if the time or need arises. If your goal is to buy sub standard AR's to train newbies with, great i'm all for it. I think new people getting into AR's need to do some research before they take advice from people on a board and find out the gun they were told was good enough actually wasn't.

Last edited:
You should also take a look at Stag...they offer some excellent Ma compliant AR's at reasonable prices. I think they look nicer than the M&P MA compliant AR's because the Stag AR's have a profiled barrel and a compensator...the MA compliant M&P's have smooth bull barrels. Its purely a look thing for me...both are excellent rifles.

If you are nothing special, how can you say you've mastered the rifle.

because he's hiding behind a computer screen and a keyboard.

Nov 27, 2011, New Bedford Rod and Gun Club rifle match
$1000 says you can't beat either supermoto or myself, and we don't consider ourselves masters of the rifle.

Back
Top Bottom