• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ar-15 handguard advice sought

Maybe a slight tangent, why keymod over m-lock?
Primarily because it annoys m-lock fanboys, many of whom are downright confrontational about it. M-lock fans are like vegans - I've never asked them for their opinion but they sure love to provide it every chance they get.

Also, the whole keymod vs m-lock debate is tacticool keyboard warrior shit. It doesn't matter which one is stronger when your average AR owner shows up to the range once every two months, gently unwraps his silk-covered rifle to take it out of it's hard-sided protective case, sets it down on a piece of red carpet on the bench, and then just talks for two hours to the old guy next to him who's shooting bullseyes with a Garand.

The original Centurion CMR is still my favorite rail.

Few thoughts on “slick” rails, and yes you should upgrade from the quad pic-rail system. Weight, modularity and handling are really improved.

I have a Centurion Arms CMR rail, this is their proprietary ultra low-profile handguard and it mounts very easily and securely with anti-rotation tabs as well. The machine work is phenomenal and they have a very unique look to them. Definitely the slimmest handguard I’ve owned but still built like a tank. They come in Keymod and MLOK as well for those that don’t want to use the CMR system (personally I like it, but others may not want to get additional rail accessories). Monty was a former team guy and his products are purpose-built towards the “operator” community which spills over to be pretty useful to us general peasants as well.

I also have a Geissele MK16 which is their pic-top with MLOK on the 7 other sides, really endless mounting potential for whatever you want to throw on it. They have other variations depending on how you want the 45 degree faces to be, all very well built and the finish is among the best I’ve seen. I’d say the MK16 is the lightest slick rail I’ve owned.

I have not personally owned but I’ve handled the BCM MCMR and seen the KAC URX4. They both look very well engineered and in a similar tier with Centurion and Geissele. I’m sure the Daniel MLOK is great too I just havn’t laid eyes on one. Can’t go wrong with any of these, buy once cry once.

Primarily because it annoys m-lock fanboys, many of whom are downright confrontational about it. M-lock fans are like vegans - I've never asked them for their opinion but they sure love to provide it every chance they get.

Also, the whole keymod vs m-lock debate is tacticool keyboard warrior shit. It doesn't matter which one is stronger when your average AR owner shows up to the range once every two months, gently unwraps his silk-covered rifle to take it out of it's hard-sided protective case, sets it down on a piece of red carpet on the bench, and then just talks for two hours to the old guy next to him who's shooting bullseyes with a Garand.

It doesn't matter to the average user, but if you're actually using it, mlok is better.

The ALG handguards seems comfy, but I don’t have first hand experience.

I've got an ALG on my AR. 15" M-Lok over a 16" barrel.

Super comfortable, light, and almost as snag free as you can get. Very affordable price. The barrel nut and mounting system is stout. The only criticism I could make is that, being so light weight, when you put pressure on the end of the handguard it does flex a tiny bit, so that needs to be kept in mind when using backup sights.

Their customer service is the best I have ever experienced. Absolutely outstanding people. I would buy from them again in a flash.

I liked keymod before and after and during the time it was cool.... if it ever qualified as cool. The reality is I'm too lazy to change anything on my rifles. Its light, comfortable, and allows me to trigger Sam

Bruh, I got that space metal KMR that they don't even make anymore. Some times I crank the Kill 'Em All album on my Walkman while flex my retro.

It's just a forend. Are any of them going to help you hit your target any better than another?

Quit playing with your Barbi dolls and get out there and practice shooting.
what do you know [laugh] that would require getting on the ground[devil2]

I'm not deploying into a war zone any time soon.

Yeah, but you recommended keymod to someone who doesn’t know better when mlok is proven to be more durable during independent testing. It’s not better enough to justify switching from keymod to mlok, but it’s better enough that if you’re starting fresh then mlok is the better option. To recommend an inferior product without a caveat is kind of a dick(mod) move.

Yeah, but you recommended keymod to someone who doesn’t know better when mlok is proven to be more durable during independent testing. It’s not better enough to justify switching from keymod to mlok, but it’s better enough that if you’re starting fresh then mlok is the better option. To recommend an inferior product without a caveat is kind of a dick(mod) move.
Like any captured fastener design it comes down to quality . If the “space” or fasteners are a bit “loose” or soft alloy its not hard to “spin” the fasteners.
I see this alot when people use captured nuts to install truck accessories and blast them on with a 300ftlb plus impact gun and they “spin” out the captured nut. When they only need 30-50ftlbs to tighten them.
I see many shooters white knuckle on accessories on their platforms all the time

Like any captured fastener design it comes down to quality . If the “space” or fasteners are a bit “loose” or soft alloy its not hard to “spin” the fasteners.
I see this alot when people use captured nuts to install truck accessories and blast them on with a 300ftlb plus impact gun and they “spin” out the captured nut. When they
So I have an old YHM spectre upper that i want to upgrade. It's a quad rail cheese grater type and to be honest i dont like it. I dont need the rail mounting options and i dont like the feel and weight. Basically it's a carbine with a low pro gas block to allow a mid length handguard. It wears a scope, a leupold 1.5-5 and folding iron sights. That's it. I like the idea of the hogue knurled handguard but what does it weigh? Can you mount a folding sight on the front? I want minimalist lightweight comfort with a front sight mounting option. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Man , remember when Quad rails where the BEST and they porked you for those stupid plastic covers that when trying to install them you cut the shit out of your hands....ahhh good times

This post is exactly why I like keymod, it gets under people's skin [laugh]

I have M-Lok on both my AR-300BLK and AR-.308 and haven’t had any need to add things like flashlights, off-center red dots, etc. I bought them because they were light and relatively cheap. One is a Geissele (300BLK), and the other is an Aero (.308). I do like them for their weight.

I personally like the old school look (A2 carry handle - I know, I know), so who knows how long I’m keeping these, but I haven’t found any of the more classic rounded handguards that I like enough to purchase yet.

This post is exactly why I like keymod, it gets under people's skin [laugh]

So you like giving people bad advice for a purchase they may regret later. Noted. I really couldn’t care less if someone uses mlok or keymod, but be honest with people looking for information.

So you like giving people bad advice for a purchase they may regret later. Noted. I really couldn’t care less if someone uses mlok or keymod, but be honest with people looking for information.
I was perfectly honest - for 95% of NESers it doesn't matter one bit if they go with keymod or m-lock. Now it's your turn to be honest - do you have a bunch of crap hanging off your rail just because it looks cool on a static range once a month?

I was perfectly honest - for 95% of NESers it doesn't matter one bit if they go with keymod or m-lock. Now it's your turn to be honest - do you have a bunch of crap hanging off your rail just because it looks cool on a static range once a month?

Not that he needs a white knight to defend him from keyboard commandos on the internet, but having met the man for a private sale I will say you’re barking up the wrong tree here.

For myself, my only personal experience with “cool” tactical accessories was on quad railed M16A4’s. Keymod or MLOK are vast improvements in weight, ergonomics and modularity for those that want to mall ninja their stuff out and feel like a JSOC operator.

If someone had zero accessories for either mounting option, I would go MLOK since it has wider adoption as well as current DOD contracts which will ensure a relative amount of “future proofing” whereas Keymod may go the way of the Dodo apart from the niche fanboys. That is important for the 95%” of NESers when mounting brackets can cost 20-50$ and “cool” flashlights and other crap can run several hundred per. Current R&D for new handguards are mostly MLOK, and part of this follows which standard won out for defense spending.

Now it's your turn to be honest - do you have a bunch of crap hanging off your rail just because it looks cool on a static range once a month?

Yes.

gjsd9h0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom