• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 gas piston conversions

I am perfectly happy with my current AR-15 set up. But I have been seeing a huge increase in companies offering a gas piston conversion set up. And I feel the direction of the future of the AR-15 platform, will go to some sort of gas piston system. I just wanted to ask if anyone has actually used a weapon with any of the conversion kits out there and what there feed back is on it?

I'd disagree about everyone moving to pistons.

I see your point. Just saying way in the future. Some of the special forces are using gas piston AR platforms. And from what I have seen over time what ever the special forces use as a battle rifle. Tends to become standard issue a ways down the road.

Piston conversions have been available for a couple of decades. They didn't take off back then, and I feel all it is now is a "it must be better because it's more exspensive". Seems like it would only create more moving parts to break. I'll keep my DI

Frankly I wouldn't waste the time "converting" a perfectly good working DI gas rifle. If you want a piston rifle, buy/build it that way.

One problem with piston AR's right now is there still really is no standardized system for doing this. Most of them are "variations on a theme".

Also keep in mind that a slimmed down DI gas rifle will generally weigh a little less than it's piston driven counterpart, simply because there are less parts involved.

A long time ago I had thought about building out a POF piston driven AR (on a preban lower I have) but then after I started using my Colt for awhile I came to the conclusion that it wasn't even worth the money. Maybe I'd think differently if I was rolling around in the mud with the rifle, or something. [laugh]

-Mike

If you really are looking into a piston driven rifle I would get a Sig or an XCR from Robinson Arms. Both rifles were designed around piston systems. The AR was designed for a DI system. Why fix it if it isn't broke.

Also, for the cost of retrofitting an AR with a piston system you could have an AK or SKS. Both of which are piston driven.

The original AR gas system sucks for military use. The piston system a la the M 1 and M 14 is much more reliable and the versions that place the operating spring above the barrel in the fore end are an even greater improvement.

Having said all this, I must admit that I am not rushing out to convert any of my ARs. None of these improvements have been standardized, and there could be lot of crap on the market, so I'm not sure what will really work and what won't. As mentioned before you may be better off buying a complete gun rather than performing an expensive conversion.

The real question is whether or not you really need this improvement. My ARs are used for practice and competition, and the original gas system works just fine for these purposes. The piston conversion is really only an expensive luxury for me. If I were to take an AR to war, I would prefer a piston operated system, but I'm not sure that the ideal rifle/system is available at this time. I think there are a lot of changes in store for the venerable AR/M16 and that this is a real good time to wait and see what is in store.

Get it and then just give little chuckle when people tell you what a waste it is. Seriously, I got a POF. It cost a buttload of money and I waited 14 weeks to get it. I would absolutely do it again. If you live near Milford I'll let you squeeze off a few and then look at the bolt. You can decide if you would rather clean a fart sucking AR or a piston AR after 100 rounds.

EDIT: The conversions go for about $450 from various manufacturers. I know CMMG is releasing a new conversion system this month.

Last edited:
I am perfectly happy with my current AR-15 set up. But I have been seeing a huge increase in companies offering a gas piston conversion set up. And I feel the direction of the future of the AR-15 platform, will go to some sort of gas piston system. I just wanted to ask if anyone has actually used a weapon with any of the conversion kits out there and what there feed back is on it?

The one I fired stayed cool and didn't get dirty at all firing Wolf. It's nice, but like others have said, you could buy another gun for the price of the conversion.

They had to tweak it quite a bit to get consistent operation out of it. Range constraints stopped full auto tests, so I don't know how that would have been effected. Once they had it dialed in, it was a sweet gun to shoot.

I will probably buy a purpose built piston AR when this gun buying craze is over.

Back
Top Bottom