• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR 15 firing pin retention pin

I just got a new upper, and performed a detailed strip on the BCG.
I noticed that the firing pin retention pin is too widely spread.
When I try to put it back together, it snaps open just when it's about to go through the hole on the other side. (am I being too graphic :) )
What can I do to keep it closed until it's in place?

Thanks,

Andrew.

I just got a new upper, and performed a detailed strip on the BCG.
I noticed that the firing pin retention pin is too widely spread.
When I try to put it back together, it snaps open just when it's about to go through the hole on the other side. (am I being too graphic :) )
What can I do to keep it closed until it's in place?

Thanks,

Andrew.

They can be tricky sometimes. Try twisting or turning it as you try to install it. Use a pair of needle nosed pliers to keep the legs compressed together while trying to install it.

If it's spread too wide try squeezing the legs together with a pair of vice grips.

Other than that, just buy a package of new pins (probably a few bucks at Brownells), it never hurts to have a few spares on hand anyways.

Resist the urge to buy a cotter pin from a hardware store. Most of those pins are too soft and the stock retaining pin takes a lot of punishment.

Last edited:
I did this at the range once when I had no other AR parts available.

mine somehow became like yours is now.

I took a small piece of brass tubing and passed it through the hole in the BC from the side where the ends of the cotter pin come through and then took a pair of pliers and compressed the pin enough until it would slide into the brass tubing then pushed the cotter pin through until it was through the other side.

Pulled the brass tube off and it was done.

then when I got home from the trip ordered a oops kit as we call it here.

It contains a lot of the small pins and springs and stuff that ya loose.

Back
Top Bottom