• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 finish touch-up

Just finished my first build, it went really well. Got to check head space and have the muzzle device fixed to really call it complete. I use Aero Precision receivers, and have a couple of tiny spots where the black anodized finish got nicked, mainly on the underside of the forward assist mount location and the end of a few roll pins. I know I won't care about it in a few months, and nobody else ever will, but I'd like it to look pristine for the first range trip. Any suggestions on materials and techniques to touch up those spots?

black sharpie. lasts as long as any over the counter fix other than paint. the alumiblack or whatever birchwood casey makes doesn't work for beans. (the last time I tried it was over 10 years ago so maybe they improved it)

A nick on the end of a roll pin? Oh the horror.[shocked]

There's probably no saving it at this point, I'd scrap it immediately and start over.

mark, i'm anal myself on nicks. you're right, you won't care in a bit but everyone likes to ride the pony once before it gets scarred up.

STFU and SHOOT IT! I found some paint at a hobby store it's a flat blackish gray. I actually took a stripped upper with me and found a decent match....

black sharpie. lasts as long as any over the counter fix other than paint. the alumiblack or whatever birchwood casey makes doesn't work for beans. (the last time I tried it was over 10 years ago so maybe they improved it)

I don't think they have - I'm going with Sharpie, too. Industrial Sharpie, if you want to go all out. [rofl]

sharpie-industrial-fine-black-ex.jpg

Alcohol prep pads used by a diabetic to wipe their finger prior to checking blood sugar make great degreasing wipes for small areas.

Cheap, functional and handy.

Available at most, if not all, drug stores/pharmacies.

The thing is, paint comes of with solvent.

The birchwood casey stuff actually oxidizes the aluminum in a way that turns it black. So it won't come off.

To the OP. Although I don't really care about the appearance of my ARs. I can see why you want to touch up the mark under the FA in particular.

Its one thing for wear on the gun gained through honest use. Its another thing to have an idiot mark because you slipped with a punch.

Don

Back
Top Bottom