• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Failure to Feed

First the 10-22 is never a bad choice.

Second the M&P 15-22 may or maynot have a safety issue but you can’t use it at an Appleseed shoot. Read up and figure that one out yourself. I’d go with 10-22 before 15-22.

There are two ways to do an AR 22 conversion. One way is to simply replace AR bcg with .22 adapter. The twist rate of an AR barrel is not correct to get high level ofaccuracy out of .22 ammo but plenty of fun for plinking. The other way is to build or buy a dedicated .22 upper for the AR. There are other threads on that already. A dedicated .22 upper is more expensive than buying a 10-22. However you get very good accuracy and you are practicing the same movements as with AR in usage.

I have both 10-22 and dedicated .22 upper for AR. I shoot the dedicated upper a lot more. When I have newbies or youngsters on range fun shoot everyone likes the AR with dedicated upper the most. Low recoil and report and high cool factor. In fact I built a second dedicated.22 upper that I use with preban lower with adjustable stock for kids.

Personally I shoot AR with dedicated upper a lot. I can do a lot of positional practice ( shooting prone, sitting, standing) while doing mag changes and practicing shooting various position with cheap .22 that translate to better center fire scores.
Sounds like a good option. I have some lowers that need some finishing. I've been looking at the 22 uppers since the start of this thread and I am becoming intrigued. I will likely be doing one in the near future.

That m&p safety issue I believe was some sort of problem where the spacing was off on the bolt face, they shipped gauges so people could check their own or would take anything in the serial range back for inspection/repair. Never heard of anyone seeing it but the potential was there for a little burst fire supposedly, but we are talking about 22lr here - even a 25 round mag dump isn't exactly dangerous if the first shot was in a safe direction - sounds fun to me :) (which my impression was not the issue, more like a round or two)..

Regardless though, old news, and has to have been corrected by now - just don't buy a used one if you are that concerned.

A serious question that's slightly off topic.
Is there a benefit to having an AR with 22 conversion over a Ruger 10/22 with an AR style stock? It would seem less problematic to just shoot a 10/22.

I have an SBRd lower with a nice trigger and some other parts I like.
I have a 9 inch CMMG 22 Upper I swap onto it and can shoot it with all that cool stuff.
I use a Better Mag Adapter and 15/22 mags so the bolt locks back on an empty magazine.

The cost is the only downside over an M&P 15/22

Tippman makes a 22LR that the appleseed guys rave about.
Worth a look.

That Better Mag Adapter is slick - wish it existed before I built my upper and invested in Black Dog mags. Something to keep in mind as I wear those mags out though.

I'm not sure if all 22LR uppers are like this, but I did damage my Spike's upper dry firing it. Firing pin raised a nice burr on the edge of the chamber. Got it fixed, but I'd like to see everyone else not have to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom