AR-15 Fail to feed issues

Excuse me for drifting back on topic, but is there anything in particular I should look for when I field strip my upper? As I said, it only has 50 or so rounds through it, but I want to forestall any problems. Also, is this a reason not to buy a Stag upper?

How close are you to Exit 2 off the pike? I live in south Berkshire county - right off exit 2 and would be glad to host you at my range for some shooting and eval...

Mark- I live near Bradley Int'l... about an hour away.... I'd love to come up and shoot at your club, but my only concern would be my 30 round mags....I know the gun is Mass compliant( I bought it from a member here), but mags- I don't think I'd be legal carrying them into Mass......

No. If it is on the large capacity list or substantially identical to a firearm on the list, it is large capacity whether or not it is equipped with said magazine.

Mark- I live near Bradley Int'l... about an hour away.... I'd love to come up and shoot at your club, but my only concern would be my 30 round mags....I know the gun is Mass compliant( I bought it from a member here), but mags- I don't think I'd be legal carrying them into Mass......

If they're pre-ban, you're fine. If not - no worries. I have a pile of them - kazillions...Being partially unemployed has its benefits. Let me know when you want to come up and we can give it a run...Call in sick on a weekday and we'll have the range to ourselves...

I'm assuming that the Loctite would be sufficient.
Nope. This:
It can lose its holding properites from the heat and pressure from shooting it. Properly staking a gas key is very little, to no money.
Even the Loc-tite red may not hold due to the heat, pressure, and repeated sharp impacts. It holds up acceptably on gasoline engine internals in places where there's no repeated sharp impacts - bearing caps, rod bolts, etc. - but probably not on the carrier key screws.

Staking is how ArmaLite and the military manuals say to do it, and "very little, to no money" is definitely correct - it can be done for the price of a good punch and hammer, if you don't already have one.

(removed link - poor example, and MassMark's post and info describes it more properly for this application)

(semiautorifles.com thread on staking carrier key screws, with pics)

Last edited:
Excuse me for drifting back on topic, but is there anything in particular I should look for when I field strip my upper? As I said, it only has 50 or so rounds through it, but I want to forestall any problems. Also, is this a reason not to buy a Stag upper?

Gary - there's no reason not to buy most uppers, just realize that an AR upper is not an AR upper. Stag, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc build some nice uppers, but they also build some not so nice uppers. Whenever one posts anything about quality problems, you'll get: "My xxxxx upper runs perfectly". The reality is though that there have been issues with nearly all major manufacturers. They are cranking these pups out like a chocolate factory. DPMS has been building a reputation for improperly cut chambers - Bushmaster with improperly staking or not staking at all - carrier keys and everything in between. So, there's no reason not to buy a Stag, but there is reason to make sure your Stag is built properly.

As to your rifle, I would check your carrier key and the interior of your receiver to make sure your bolt is riding properly. Don't worry about the gas tube, but scrub your chamber and inspect it for any signs of wear. Make sure your buffer tube is still tight and that your mags seat properly and drop free. other than that, shoot the crap out of it until your trigger finger bleeds...[wink]

Gary - there's no reason not to buy most uppers, just realize that an AR upper is not an AR upper. Stag, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc build some nice uppers, but they also build some not so nice uppers. Whenever one posts anything about quality problems, you'll get: "My xxxxx upper runs perfectly". The reality is though that there have been issues with nearly all major manufacturers. They are cranking these pups out like a chocolate factory. DPMS has been building a reputation for improperly cut chambers - Bushmaster with improperly staking or not staking at all - carrier keys and everything in between. So, there's no reason not to buy a Stag, but there is reason to make sure your Stag is built properly.

As to your rifle, I would check your carrier key and the interior of your receiver to make sure your bolt is riding properly. Don't worry about the gas tube, but scrub your chamber and inspect it for any signs of wear. Make sure your buffer tube is still tight and that your mags seat properly and drop free. other than that, shoot the crap out of it until your trigger finger bleeds...[wink]

Thank you, Mark. I'll have to look at my upper and carrier to see if I can tell if it's staked.

Thank you, Mark. I'll have to look at my upper and carrier to see if I can tell if it's staked.

No problem Gary - glad to help. Here's a good thread on what a properly staked carrier key should and should not look like. I recently looked at an RRA carrier key that looked like it was hit with a punch and sent out. There was nothing stopping the bolts from backing out. I guess they figured if it looked good - it was good...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5063

No problem Gary - glad to help. Here's a good thread on what a properly staked carrier key should and should not look like. I recently looked at an RRA carrier key that looked like it was hit with a punch and sent out. There was nothing stopping the bolts from backing out. I guess they figured if it looked good - it was good...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5063

Thanks for the link. I see that you don't actually stake the bolt heads, you stake the body around them. Now I know what to look for.

Thanks for the link. I see that you don't actually stake the bolt heads, you stake the body around them. Now I know what to look for.

Yeah and that's where the MOACKS tool comes into play over a regular punch. it moves or pinches the carrier metal on either side of the bolt to keep it from backing out. If yours is not properly done, many out there with the tool will do it for free as sort of an "AR-15 Public Service".... [grin]

Update - I decided to send the rifle to Stag for repairs. They were very easy to deal with and sent me a pre-paid UPS shipping label. Hopefully they will return it to me by the end of next week. Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

My Bushmaster BCG was staked when i got it but it didnt make me confident so i got a screw driver and tapped it a little deeper in the stake grooves, i still check it everytime i clean the BCG to check if its loose.

If I have a brandy, new, unused Rock River BCG, can I assume that the screws are torqued properly before I stake them? Or do I need a torque wrench? I know that the AR manufacturers are cutting corners and NOT properly staking the carrier keys, but I would hope I could assume the screws were torqued.

Has anyone heard of a new BCG having "loose screws" BEFORE proper staking? Or is this just paranoia? [thinking]

Just get an allen wrench and tighten them by hand if you're worried. The torque wrench is completely unnecessary

I just got my Rifle back from Stag, I must say their warranty dept. was pretty fast and although it had issues I'm still happy with my purchase.

They replaced the whole upper receiver, so there were other issues besides the gas key. There was supposed to be a report, but I could not find out what the other problems were.

I just got my Rifle back from Stag, I must say their warranty dept. was pretty fast and although it had issues I'm still happy with my purchase.

They replaced the whole upper receiver, so there were other issues besides the gas key. There was supposed to be a report, but I could not find out what the other problems were.

Could have been bad machining on the upper. Good to see you got it resolved. Now enjoy shooting it! [grin]

Back
Top Bottom