AR 15 FA -10 Filing Massachusetts

And for caliber; MULTI? and Mag should be FMG or Large Cap?

Since MGL only mandates an FA-10 for a functioning gun, you put in the caliber your completed rifle was chambered in.

The large cap thing is debateable but IMHO it doesnt do anything, I always select "no" unless its a captain obvious example otherwise.

Since MGL only mandates an FA-10 for a functioning gun, you put in the caliber your completed rifle was chambered in.

The large cap thing is debateable but IMHO it doesnt do anything, I always select "no" unless its a captain obvious example otherwise.

So hypothetically, it would be in my best interest to build with a .22LR Upper first, if I were to even build?

So hypothetically, it would be in my best interest to build with a .22LR Upper first, if I were to even build?

IMHO it doesn't really matter, but if it makes you feel better throw a CMMG 22 LR conversion thing in your upper and call it .22 caliber [rofl] It doesn't ask the specific cartridge btw, just
caliber.

The law is silent about "changing calibers on the same gun" and re registering the same gun makes zero sense, if it's going to carry the same serial number anyways.

The whole FA-10 thing is a joke the main thing is to file it so in the extremely unlikely event that it is an issue, nobody can bag you for "failure to report" or any of that kind of crap.

It's impossible to FA10 a RIFLE with a 0" barrel. Tried to do it last week for a buddy who bought a lower from me that was already in the system. Said a error occurred because minimum barrel length is 16". Could be a glitch or something but that's what it said.

That's more recent. Before the AG's guidance, you could do it. I assume they made the change to reduce the amount of bad data in the system.

It's impossible to FA10 a RIFLE with a 0" barrel. Tried to do it last week for a buddy who bought a lower from me that was already in the system. Said a error occurred because minimum barrel length is 16". Could be a glitch or something but that's what it said.

it is NOW but it was not when I bought it. I have the FA10 to prove it. They fixed it since then.

Good luck finding the upper to fit

You can just take the bolt out and put a post it note on the side of the rifle that says ".22 LR" in MS Comic Sans... then register. [rofl]

Actually I'm disappointed that I didn't do this back in the day when you could file PDF based FA 10s, I would have filled out all of mine in Comic Sans.... [rofl]

Lots of AR lowers have Caliber: MULTI engraved into them, since they are capable of firing many different calibers depending on how the owner finishes the build.

If in my hypothetical situation the Lower does indicate MULTI, would it still not be in my best interest just to put .22?

Also Dr. -- the comic sans made me chuckle.

You can just take the bolt out and put a post it note on the side of the rifle that says ".22 LR" in MS Comic Sans... then register. [rofl]

Actually I'm disappointed that I didn't do this back in the day when you could file PDF based FA 10s, I would have filled out all of mine in Comic Sans.... [rofl]
That a great ideal man, am not that great of a machinist but am sure i can machine a single shot .22 upper for an ar10 , great ideal

Final Question: now circling back, if it says MULTI would it be better to enter MULTI for the Caliber, or stick to .22 LR? Lol.

Final Question: now circling back, if it says MULTI would it be better to enter MULTI for the Caliber, or stick to .22 LR? Lol.

MULTI isn't a caliber of a functioning rifle.

The law mandates you register upon the creation of this functional firearm/rifle/shotgun. the FA 10 registers this entity of a functional firearm. Mutli is not a caliber.

MULTI isn't a caliber of a functioning rifle.

The law mandates you register upon the creation of this functional firearm/rifle/shotgun. the FA 10 registers this entity of a functional firearm. Mutli is not a caliber.

That's what I figured from your earlier advice, but someone had a comment afterwards that confused me. Does it even matter what the caliber registered is? Say its a .223, does that even flag anything seeing as .223 can be various forms of rifle?

That's what I figured from your earlier advice, but someone had a comment afterwards that confused me. Does it even matter what the caliber registered is? Say its a .223, does that even flag anything seeing as .223 can be various forms of rifle?
You seem to be thinking about this way too much. When built, register as built. Then go shoot It.

Agreed, stop thinking this much about it and trying to "game" the system. Build up a multi lower. Lower could also say caliber 8675309. When you throw a 5.56 upper on and it's time to register, that's what caliber you register it as. Nothing prevents you from changing barrel lengths or calibers the same day (or need to register it again).

With all of the shops that made people FA10 lowers, what would happen if I bought a lower from someone years ago who didn’t realize the shop did an FA10? If I build a rifle and register it within 10 days will it allow me to do it if it’s already been registered? I don’t even remember the person’s name who sold it to me.

With all of the shops that made people FA10 lowers, what would happen if I bought a lower from someone years ago who didn’t realize the shop did an FA10? If I build a rifle and register it within 10 days will it allow me to do it if it’s already been registered? I don’t even remember the person’s name who sold it to me.
Don't matter. Would be interesting to see which gun (s) hold the record for the largest number owners in the system. You guys worry to much about this Mickey Mouse shit. Jack.

Nobody cares! Just register it as built and stop worrying.

It's impossible to FA10 a RIFLE with a 0" barrel. Tried to do it last week ... Said a error occurred because minimum barrel length is 16"...
it is NOW but it was not when I bought it. I have the FA10 to prove it. They fixed it since then.
You may have done us a big favor.
Either DCJIS fixed it because the system crashed
when their weekly report read a zero field,
or they fixed it in general,
but that zero may come back to haunt them in the future
when they write yet another app. Because...

...I once read about a guy who got the vanity plate "// EOJ" (sp?) for his car.

Story is the DMV computer truncated registration processing
when the batch job reached his card in the deck. [rofl]

What's really fun is filling out an FA-10 with "NONE" in the s/n field. (Prior to GCA 1968 serial numbers were not a requirement)
Basically any of the nipple heads that actually register 80% guns are going to end up doing this LMAO. There is nothing in mgl that requires a serial number. I think the only law that exist basically makes defacement a crime but if the serial number never existed then how could you deface it?

Back
Top Bottom