AR 15 FA -10 Filing Massachusetts

PATRON

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 99.1%
104   1   1
MGL definition of a rifle:

“Rifle”, a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

Mass. General Laws c.140 § 121

Bob

Thanks,but that's not the reply I looking for.In what stage is a lower considered a gun in MA ? Is it when the striped lower is assembled,or is it when an upper is matted to it.Is buying an assembled lower considered buying a gun?

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks,but that's not the reply I looking for.In what stage is a lower considered a gun in MA ? Is it when the striped lower is assembled,or is it when an upper is matted to it.Is buying an assembled lower considered buying a gun?

Its still the same basic definition when you are talking about a firearm......”from which a shot or bullet can be discharged“..... A shot or bullet cannot be discharged from a lower. A lower isn’t a Rifle or Firearm.

'Firearm'', a stun gun or a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexx/chapter140/section121

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The definition is correct, however, the courts have added the qualifier that needing "only minor repair or adjustment" does not make it a non-firearm. For example, you can't buy or carry a 1911 without a MA license just because you file 1/4" or so off the front of the firing pin.

I would expect that having a completed lower and a completer upper in the safe (not assembled) would be treated in the same manner in terms of “minor repair or adjustment”.

Bob

Top Bottom