• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR 15 FA -10 Filing Massachusetts

A lower receiver was purchased pre-ban back in 2015 at an FFL dealer, but the build will be complete in a week from now, July 2020. Can an FA-10 still be filed without the firearm being considered illegal post-ban?

Thank you for the clarification, andrew1220.
To piggy back off of andrew1220, u can get anything u want when u want it, follow MA AWB of course, via a private transfer or if u know the secret Dealer handshake. Her notice is just worthless piece of ink on paper. 4+ years, no arrests, no convictions. The judge even said it’s just a notice she hasn’t done anything about it yet and she won’t. Good luck!

To piggy back off of andrew1220, u can get anything u want when u want it, follow MA AWB of course, via a private transfer or if u know the secret Dealer handshake. Her notice is just worthless piece of ink on paper. 4+ years, no arrests, no convictions. The judge even said it’s just a notice she hasn’t done anything about it yet and she won’t. Good luck!
Which judge and in what context?

Use a .22 upper and register it as a .22 rifle. Later buy a .223 upper and you don't have to do any paperwork for a swap. That would make an interesting data search for the FA10 people in the future.

A lower receiver was purchased pre-ban back in 2015 at an FFL dealer, but the build will be complete in a week from now, July 2020. Can an FA-10 still be filed without the firearm being considered illegal post-ban?

You didn’t post your location so I will add that Boston has its own AWB.

Bob

Of course even from an FA-10 theres often no way to tell something is an AR clone anyways, there's no description of how its built, etc.

They have no way of knowing that my Stainlifter .223 is a bolt action, semi, AR clone, or a drilling Actually that brings up a fun question, if you have a drilling/combo rifle, what do you list in the caliber box? [laugh]

Of course even from an FA-10 theres often no way to tell something is an AR clone anyways, there's no description of how its built, etc.

They have no way of knowing that my Stainlifter .223 is a bolt action, semi, AR clone, or a drilling Actually that brings up a fun question, if you have a drilling/combo rifle, what do you list in the caliber box? [laugh]
Pick one!

Ah, that is a good tactic. Listing the rifle as .223 (which it is capable of firing), it could be many different styles.

When filing the FA-10, would an AR platform be considered "large capacity" and is the Model "AR-15"?
Unless it has a pinned mag limited to 10 rds, yes it is "large capacity", which is no big deal on the FA-10 form.

Model is whatever is marked on the lower. e.g. my Bushmaster is XM.... not AR-15.

When filing the FA-10, would an AR platform be considered "large capacity" and is the Model "AR-15"?

1- usually
2- no it's whatever it says on the lower.

If it says "Carpet Muncher 9000" on it, that's what you put on the FA-10 for the model.

Or if you had one of these... AR-14... [rofl]

file.png

Good tactics are exactly that.
When push comes to shove lawyers aren’t cheap and each person decides how much risk that they are willing to accept.

Bob
I know that many are paranoid and if so, best not to own anything that the AG considers evil.

On the other hand, there are real reasons why nobody has been (and almost with a certainty nobody will ever be) prosecuted for violating the AG's press conference/memo/personal re-definition of an AW. Keep in mind that she declared that ALL ARs built/bought AFTER 9/13/1994 were felonies but she "wouldn't prosecute at this time".

Her pronouncement had the desired effect . . . it essentially shut down sales of these guns by dealers. If a dealer defies her, she can easily get a civil court to rule in her favor.

But the rules of evidence for a criminal charge are much more stringent than the rules for a civil case. In a criminal case (and with a good, gun law knowledgeable attorney or expert witness), the prosecution would have to prove that ALL the ARs sold in the US from 9/14/1994 thru 9/13/2004 were illegal and Federal felonies. There is a lot of BATFE documentation that says otherwise. And if the AG were to lose a case (which she should), her whole house of cards falls and dealers can once again sell ARs, etc. with impunity. She isn't stupid and thus she isn't willing to take that risk. It's been 4 years and nothing she has done to date proves me (and a few other knowledgeable folks) wrong.

Thank you everyone for helping out! I will file the FA-10 as discussed. I just wish I had more money to complete my "adult Lego set project" back before her press conference that has sparked paranoia in me...

Jumping in here... Can someone tell me when I'm registering my recently built AR, when I do an FA-10, I'm registering the lower serial #, correct?

Jumping in here... Can someone tell me when I'm registering my recently built AR, when I do an FA-10, I'm registering the lower serial #, correct?

Yes, lol... lower's serial, make/model, rest of gun info... your info, that's it. done. Seller is BLANK.

@UnicornPellets depending on where you bought it, the dealer may have done an FA-10 for you and registered it as a rifle with a 0" length barrel. That's what Four Seasons was doing when I bought a stripped lower there pre-healy. Check your paperwork to see if its already done and if so you're good to go.

This should be moved to the Massachusetts section.

Best way to register an AR's caliber, IMO, is "MULTI" unless it is specifically engraved in the lower. Anything that shoots 5.56 is capable of firing .223. Anything that shoots 5.56/.223 can be converted to shoot .22LR with just a BCG change.

@UnicornPellets depending on where you bought it, the dealer may have done an FA-10 for you and registered it as a rifle with a 0" length barrel. That's what Four Seasons was doing when I bought a stripped lower there pre-healy. Check your paperwork to see if its already done and if so you're good to go.

You should do the FA10 anyway when it's complete. The 4S FA10 I'd argue is invalid for a stripped lower. Do one when it can fire a round, when it's required by law.

It's impossible to FA10 a RIFLE with a 0" barrel. Tried to do it last week for a buddy who bought a lower from me that was already in the system. Said a error occurred because minimum barrel length is 16". Could be a glitch or something but that's what it said.

Back
Top Bottom