Ar 15 concern.

wasralex22

NES Member
Finally finished my AR build.

It's has a 5.56 1/7 twist.

I loaded a 223. snap cap in there today and after loading it, it jammed, to a point my bolt carrier got stuck.

I eventually got it out, but should I be concerned?

I live near by. I have go and no go gauges. I can try and help you out.
Also I have to ask its my fathers words echoing in my head "did you clean it?" New guns/parts are not clean.
Easiest time for me to be available is at my work 1130am 1215pm. Pm me and we will see how/when to meet up to check headspace.

Does the BCG get stuck without a snap cap in it? Who made the barrel? If the barrel extension wasn't installed properly, there's a chance the splines don't line up with the BCG, and/or that you don't have enough headspace.

The other thing it could be is the snap cap itself. Personally, I don't think they're very good. Every one I've used was either tight, or got marred up in a chamber that shoots fine (for example, I bought some 9mm snap caps to use when dry firing. They do not fit properly or work well in any of my Glocks, but those Glocks have all fired thousands of rounds without issue)

I had the same problem with my AR. Snap cap jammed in there. I used a wood dowel to push it out. Hooked up with another NESer who had gauges (Thanks mr brownstone) and everything checked out fine. I never found anything wrong so it could be nothing for you as well.

If it is the clear red plastic snap cap, toss the effer out. Had some that wouldn't allow the bolt to close on one of my rifles. Not an AR but an A-Bolt.

ETA: Crap, maybe it was the red aluminum ones that sucked. Will look later.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Last edited:
Very, considering everything is new. And new.

New is not clean.... I can also give you a few dummy rounds if you like. Let me know if you might want a couple. They are rounds loaded with no primer and holes drilledin the case.

Back
Top Bottom