AR 15 Complete Uppers in Mass

Another question. The AWB of ’94 “grandfathered” any “assault weapons” that were already legally owned prior to the law being enacted. Since the law’s definition of “assault weapon” said nothing about stripped lowers, is it actually even meaningful to refer to a “pre ban” stripped lower that hadn’t been built into a rifle?

Another question. The AWB of ’94 “grandfathered” any “assault weapons” that were already legally owned prior to the law being enacted. Since the law’s definition of “assault weapon” said nothing about stripped lowers, is it actually even meaningful to refer to a “pre ban” stripped lower that hadn’t been built into a rifle?
During the Clinton Ban, BATFE ruled that ONLY lowers which left the factory as complete rifles or "kitted" as such met their definition of a legal pre-ban. So stripped lowers sold as such didn't meet the requirement unless you could prove that you built it up on/before 9/13/1994. BATFE required mfrs to submit S/N lists of all qualified pre-bans.

Len is correct.

Legally, if your "pre-ban Mini-14" wasn't in AW configuration prior to the ban, it can't be put into "assault weapon" configuration now post-ban.

Practically, it would likely be tough to prove without knowing a lower or rifle's provenance, but the ATF did decree a lower that has been a stripped lower since 1994 and was never built up is not pre-ban as we commonly understand the term. There's a lot of fixation on dates, but configurations are also important.

im Thinking those are still too high.$2,250-2500. Yikes!
I tried to price out an AR15 build this fall and finally concluded that for $1900 at current prices x95 will be a better choice. Good quality preban lowers are way too expensive now. So, I got myself a tavor and do not regret it.

Alot of those seem to bs KAC or LWRI or other highend uppers complete with optics as part of the package.

You can search around and find deals but yea...prices are up everywhere.

Yeah. And if you bling out your 85 Pacer, you might find that one guy that wants it blinged out just like you have it. Otherwise, your SOL. IT's like the 100's of vehicles on Pawn Stars over the years. "Yeah, but I've got $5,000 in pin striping alone!" "Not my problem, man."

Optics? Sure. Some high end upper? Go F yourself. Don't be shocked if someone isn't willing to pay your price because you overpaid.

All the expensive ones I saw were stock. Although there is one guy in VT that has a pre-ban for $1625 shipped. A good deal. If it's even still there.

$1384 with optic, but I haven't worked out the price on the upper yet, and I'm probably having the receiver set and handguard Cerakoted in burnt bronze (which is unnecessary and probably ≈$300) .

This is the cheapest optic I've put on an AR, so we'll see if I like it but may have to upgrade.

I'm overpaying for the lower, but that's the only part of the build that is hard to find (maybe the upper too). Everything else can be dependent upon budget.

**EDIT: Just FYI this is for an AR9 build, not 5.56.

View attachment 412794.
nice build, romeo 5 is $99 at cabelas/BPS right now if you haven't purchased yet

nice build, romeo 5 is $99 at cabelas/BPS right now if you haven't purchased yet
Thanks. I just received in the mail and paid $155 which isn't too bad. In retrospect, I should have waited for this weekend to buy everything, but c'est la vie.

Yeah. And if you bling out your 85 Pacer, you might find that one guy that wants it blinged out just like you have it. Otherwise, your SOL. IT's like the 100's of vehicles on Pawn Stars over the years. "Yeah, but I've got $5,000 in pin striping alone!" "Not my problem, man."

Optics? Sure. Some high end upper? Go F yourself. Don't be shocked if someone isn't willing to pay your price because you overpaid.

All the expensive ones I saw were stock. Although there is one guy in VT that has a pre-ban for $1625 shipped. A good deal. If it's even still there.

$550 bucks for a complete upper (Aero upper, Bkings 16" middy barrel, ToolCraft BCG, SLR Rail) on AFRCOM right now. Found another quality upper for $510 on the next page. Still can find decent prices.

My bad. I thought you were talking buying a PREBAN from ARFCOM. I'm reading your comments thinking, "WTF??? Am I missing something here?"

Turns out that, yes, I WAS missing something. ROFL!!!!

I've got pre-ban on the brain. ;)

During the Clinton Ban, BATFE ruled that ONLY lowers which left the factory as complete rifles or "kitted" as such met their definition of a legal pre-ban. So stripped lowers sold as such didn't meet the requirement unless you could prove that you built it up on/before 9/13/1994. BATFE required mfrs to submit S/N lists of all qualified pre-bans.

Does this apply to Mass since that federal ban has expired? Did Mass' AWB use the same wording? They seemed really clueless when they wrote it.

Yea, ATF made that change regarding stripped lowers a few years ago. Even new packaged virgin stripped lowers, if bought out of state from where the lower will be residing, needs to be sent to an FFL because of the possiblilty of the lower being made into a pistol lower. A lower receiver that is complete with a stock can be purchased F2F out of state without an FFL needed, just like any other long gun.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you've written, I'm pretty sure this is not correct.

The only things you can buy out of your state of residence are rifles and shotguns. Both must be purchased from an FFL. Lowers without uppers are not rifles - there's no chamber, nor barrel length. They must be purchased in your state of residence.

Also, you cannot buy long guns F2F in a state where you do not reside. None of this is affected by where the gun will live.

What does anyone recommend for parts/complete upper for strictly shtf. Where do you spend the money and where can you get away with on the cheap.

Well you should be thinking the opposite. Cheap rifles to play with and bombproof rifles if your life depends on it. Good stuff is inexpensive, just hard to find right now. Generally, you need a good bcg and a good barrel. The real money comes in when you have to buy a real light(looking at you China) and an indestructable optic.

What does anyone recommend for parts/complete upper for strictly shtf. Where do you spend the money and where can you get away with on the cheap.
for strictly SHTF a mils spec M4 carbine fixed sights...about as good/cheap/dependable you can get.

I have a few RRA uppers and I find them to be fine.
AR0625B
Finding stuff in stock is the fun part right now.

Well you should be thinking the opposite. Cheap rifles to play with and bombproof rifles if your life depends on it. Good stuff is inexpensive, just hard to find right now. Generally, you need a good bcg and a good barrel. The real money comes in when you have to buy a real light(looking at you China) and an indestructable optic.

I would say the better to best stuff remains available... ie $300 barrels, $200 BCG's etc etc, stuff that doesn't ever get very cheap, you can buy.

Ie you won't find your $100 Toolcraft BCG but a great quality Spikes can be found for around $150. That $150 PSA barrel you want is out of stock but you can find a higher quality Daniel Defense for $300. $100 Anderson reciever sets are unobtainable but $250 Aero M4E1 sets are available.

Its the cheap up to mid tier stuff that's sold out or hard to find. Mid tier to higher end, slimmer pickings but can easily be found.

I say generally, never get away too far on the cheap. Everything you own should be a similar quality level and at least decent. Avoid budget stuff and odd brand names, read reviews.

Maybe you own a couple identical rifles and one you beat on more, that's OK, but whatever you practice with and trust should also be your go to. And who wants to spend all their shooting time using the worst stuff they own anyway? - thats crazy.

Myself I have a rugged integral carry handle carbine, CHF FN chrome barrel, chrome lined BCG and all that, arguably the most rugged SHTF rifle I own. But if I need to shoot like my life depends on it, I am taking the AR with an optic on it that I shoot the best, not going to handicap myself from the start! :)

I picked up one of those elsewhere with the BCG/CH and it fits perfectly on the lower its eventually going to go on, but I haven’t had a real chance to play with it. It’s solidly built.

I picked up one of those elsewhere with the BCG/CH and it fits perfectly on the lower its eventually going to go on, but I haven’t had a real chance to play with it. It’s solidly built.
Big Daddy Unlimited had the complete uppers for sale for $600 a couple months ago and I’m kicking myself for not picking one up. $480 for the upper without BCG is pretty good too though.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you've written, I'm pretty sure this is not correct.

The only things you can buy out of your state of residence are rifles and shotguns. Both must be purchased from an FFL. Lowers without uppers are not rifles - there's no chamber, nor barrel length. They must be purchased in your state of residence.

Also, you cannot buy long guns F2F in a state where you do not reside. None of this is affected by where the gun will live.

Hmm I always thought you could buy a long guns out of state without a transfer. I thought the out of state issue was with handguns.

ETA: Ah I figured out my confusion. You can buy long arms out of state if done over the counter in person at an FFL in the seller's state. Handguns need to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's state.

Hmm I always thought you could buy a long guns out of state without a transfer. I thought the out of state issue was with handguns.

ETA: Ah I figured out my confusion. You can buy long arms out of state if done over the counter in person at an FFL in the seller's state. Handguns need to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's state.
Now you're on the trolley.
There remains one tiny nit: you're correct where "long arm" == "shotgun" or "rifle". That is, it doesn't apply to SBRs, SBSs, MGs, "firearms," AOWs, or anything else that isn't definitionally a "shotgun" or a "rifle," but might be casually referred to as a "long arm."

*IIRC, it was basically intended as a carve out for "sporting arms" to get folks on board with FOPA (I think?).

I recommend building a better than average rifle build for SHTF, rather than trying piece meal a cheap bunch of parts. I could never understand this “Cheap for SHTF” concept. My SHTF rifle is my best build and always cleaned and ready to go. SHTF means your life depends on it, why anyone would want a cheap build for that is beyond me.

Now you're on the trolley.
There remains one tiny nit: you're correct where "long arm" == "shotgun" or "rifle". That is, it doesn't apply to SBRs, SBSs, MGs, "firearms," AOWs, or anything else that isn't definitionally a "shotgun" or a "rifle," but might be casually referred to as a "long arm."

*IIRC, it was basically intended as a carve out for "sporting arms" to get folks on board with FOPA (I think?).

Yea I wasn't referring to any NFA/MG items.

If I'm in a shtf situation I want the best quality most reliable rifle I can get. If someone can't afford higher end then there are alot of good value brands that functionally are great and can be found if you look hard enough like aero, colt, fn etc

I disagree also.

Relinquish your freedom and .gov will keep you safe, .... :confused:

Good luck & Best wishes,,,,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom