• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Bump-fire stock.

Wow, I just read that story, thanks for posting the link. I think that Bill knew full well going into it that his invention would be right on the ragged edge of legality. I mean, sure, it is not a firearm by itself, but it surely does create a pseudo machine gun. About the only thing that is really unjust, is that the government should have compensated him for the inventory they confiscated, because they gave him the green light to move forward with the venture. I can't understand how this would not have been a slam dunk for any worthwhile attorney! I also don't blame him for no longer supporting the NRA. WTF was that? They claim "we don't have a dog in this fight", so they turn a blind eye to the bullshit the BATF pulled? I was always under the (apparently mistaken) impression that this type of situation was exactly what they were supposed to defend![frown]

Perhaps not.

They have a link on their website to a BATF 'approval letter'.

Now, MA ... that's another thing. I'm sure it'll be judged unsafe for consumers.

The letter is great, but it doesn't mean that BATFE won't renege later on, especially if it gets popular.

-Mike

I'm wondering what happened to all the people that purchesed one of Bill's little gagets. Do they come to your house and make you give up the gaget? Threaten to put you in Jail for having a new NFA item?

All those people got sent a letter by the company that made it, I think, and they had to send back at least the springs inside the unit. BATFE said as long as the springs were gone out of the unit it was no longer an NFA device.

-Mike

The letter is great, but it doesn't mean that BATFE won't renege later on, especially if it gets popular.

-Mike

Right, and the one for the 10/22 was $1000? Isn't that what the letter said? And he was selling them like hotcakes. So at 300 bucks, it's got to go fast. SO, if it gets popular, then who knows what the ATF will do. I do see some differences between Bill's item and this one. As his it seems that once you pull the trigger, it runs until the .22's empty. This one, seems to have more control over what fires as it's not going into the trigger guard. You physically have to pull the trigger. Not a device that pulls it for you.

Honestly, I contacted them to see if there's a min order if we wanted to do a group buy...and if it's good I'm taking it to the boss. I don't think that I would order one...but it's worth checking out. Hell, I have issues. LOL! I guess that's why I'm called the Group Buy Crack Whore. LOL!

Right, and the one for the 10/22 was $1000? Isn't that what the letter said? And he was selling them like hotcakes. So at 300 bucks, it's got to go fast. SO, if it gets popular, then who knows what the ATF will do. I do see some differences between Bill's item and this one. As his it seems that once you pull the trigger, it runs until the .22's empty. This one, seems to have more control over what fires as it's not going into the trigger guard. You physically have to pull the trigger. Not a device that pulls it for you.

The main difference is this device doesn't have springs in it, as far as I can tell, but I could be wrong.

They both work off the same basic principle, the only real difference is that in the case of the Aikins accelerator you don't have to apply forward pressure on the front of the gun to get it to work.

-Mike

. I do see some differences between Bill's item and this one. As his it seems that once you pull the trigger, it runs until the .22's empty. This one, seems to have more control over what fires as it's not going into the trigger guard. You physically have to pull the trigger. Not a device that pulls it for you.

Not that it matters much at this point, but the Akins Accelerator, would also stop when you stopped pulling the trigger, it did not go in the trigger guard, and it didn't pull the trigger for you. To over simplify it was a stock with a spring in it, and the spring returned the entire barreled reciever to the "forward" possition after firing a shot (rather than you pulling forward on it in the traditional bump fire method).

Isn't bumping a Federal offense punishable bynot more than 10 years in prison and/or $100,000 fine?

2ptou8i.jpg

Bump-firing is nothing more than pulling the trigger really fast. Nothing illegal about it.

Not that it matters much at this point, but the Akins Accelerator, would also stop when you stopped pulling the trigger, it did not go in the trigger guard, and it didn't pull the trigger for you. To over simplify it was a stock with a spring in it, and the spring returned the entire barreled reciever to the "forward" possition after firing a shot (rather than you pulling forward on it in the traditional bump fire method).

Well, that's good to know. I was just going off on what I was getting out of reading that report that was posted. Thanks for clarifying.

Honestly, I contacted them to see if there's a min order if we wanted to do a group buy...and if it's good I'm taking it to the boss. I don't think that I would order one...but it's worth checking out. Hell, I have issues. LOL! I guess that's why I'm called the Group Buy Crack Whore. LOL!

Keep us posted on what they say. I might be in for a group buy if the timing, and the price is right.

You know, it seems like the ATF did that on purpose to Mr. Akins. "Sure sure.. it's legal. Say, how much are you investing in this anyway?"

Makes me think they will eventually do the same to this other company.

Where is the scan from shotgun news from the company that has been selling the legal drop in autosear for your AR15. I've often thought of ordering one for a not so friend of mine and see who comes to visit

I thought I saw a video somewhere of someone bump firing with a strategically placed elastic band on his AR...can the BATF control rubber bands too?

Bill Akins had a nice shiny letter from the BATFE too, until they changed their minds.

Give 'em time.

Anybody who thinks that somebody somewhere isn't going to get a royal screw job from the BATF over this needs to go buy a few Vin Suprynowic books - or look him up online - and start reading. If I remember correctly Boston's Gun Bible has some info in there too about how the ATF has screwed people over for using shoe laces and rubber bands and so forth to make a rifle go rapid fire.

Maybe my paranoia is kicking up - but after all I have read about the BATF - my first thought after hearing they "approved" this is to think that they are just looking for a way to suck a few people in so them nail them.

My bet is 50/50 on this. If it doesn't take off and most people consider it dumb, it might fly under the radar. On the other hand, if it gets popular, expect them to invent something to ban it. Given it's current price its likely to be a niche item anyways... for $300+ you can put a really nice semiautomatic trigger in an AR and probably have money left over.

-Mike

My bet is 50/50 on this. If it doesn't take off and most people consider it dumb, it might fly under the radar. On the other hand, if it gets popular, expect them to invent something to ban it. Given it's current price its likely to be a niche item anyways... for $300+ you can put a really nice semiautomatic trigger in an AR and probably have money left over.

-Mike

If I could find one of these at a gun show - where I could pay cash for it - with no names - I would get one and put it away for SHTF. Other than that - I wouldn't be putting my name on a list.

Back
Top Bottom