• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 build

I'm a MA FID holder turn 21 in a few months and will apply for my ltc then, but in the mean time if I want to build an AR15 to disperse the costs over a longer period of time and it's just something that's always intrigued me. Can I legally buy all the needed parts with an FID besides the lower receiver and pre ban high cap magazines? Or is there other laws prohibiting me from buying a upper, barrel and etc?

Same concept but different question, thanks for the response

Same answer as in the other thread.

ETA: I just looked in the other thread, I don't see a different question and the answer indeed is the same.

The other parts aren't "controlled items" needing a LTC so yes, you'd be legal even without an FID card.

Last edited:
The other post was asking if I could make a lower and put it together to form a functioning rifle which I learned wouldn't be legal, this question is clearly a very different question. I know some parts I can own and I know I can't own a lower or mags so the question was is there any other components that require an ltc that I'm not aware of. If your not going to answer the question or at least provide me with some useful info please keep your comments to yourself

- - - Updated - - -

Basically I wanna know every single "controlled item" that is involved in building an AR

You asked the same question. Here's your quote from your other thread

Another quick question: if I plan on getting my class A after my 21st birthday and I want to build an AR can I buy all the required parts besides the lower receiver and the magazines? I don't have a lot of free cash flow so the build will be slow and piece by piece so if I could start looking at uppers and barrels and etc. and legally buy them that'd be helpful

coming from Cali, with different laws, i wonder if MA has something similar, as tons of laws all over the country are based on cali laws...

In cali, you can have a lower, as long as you dont have a upper. a AWB is for a center fired semi auto. The lower itself could be for a 22lr conversion. without the upper, there's no way to tell if its going on a AW or not

coming from Cali, with different laws, i wonder if MA has something similar, as tons of laws all over the country are based on cali laws...

In cali, you can have a lower, as long as you dont have a upper. a AWB is for a center fired semi auto. The lower itself could be for a 22lr conversion. without the upper, there's no way to tell if its going on a AW or not

Nope. They don't care if it's 22 or .223

Can be. The only work around for rim fire is tube fed ones can have more then 10 rds. Other then that they don't care what caliber.

shaking my head in disbelief... i know i shouldnt be surprised, but thats like banning a BB gun as an assault weapon (not that AR pattern rifles are assault weapons IMO), but GEEZ, 22LR is just plain insane to be classified that way...

thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom