• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 build

Hey guys so i been reading this forum for a few weeks now and u seem like a great group of guys...
So anyways i want to start an AR build and i want to get the satisfaction of building my own i can easily go out and buy the rifle...but wheres the fun in that? So i was hopeing maybe you guys can point me into the right direction amd where to start as in good brands ect.. Im fairly new to this so good brands is where im at a loss...thx in advance

AR15.com - read lots on there.

Brownell's has good tutorial videos. There are a lot of good sites for parts - Brownell's, MidwayUSA, Rainier Arms, AR15sales.com, Jabtac.com, etc.

i had an idea to build an AR from bottom up myself.
but after i crunched some numbers i figured out that building it will cost you more than getting one that was already built.
exception being you are using used and/or heavily discounted parts.

you can always get one assembled. take it apaprt and then put it back together [smile] at least save yourself a couple hundred bucks for ammo

I also looked into just buying a complete lower then buy a complete upper and its about the same price as just buying a complete rifle which at least i have more of a selection buying 2 halfs lol but like i said I'm new to this amd i dont want to just buy a complete rifle fpr 1000 then end up buyin parts to change things

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info so far........thumbs up[smile]

Where you will save money is that when you build you ideally wont have any leftover parts. DSG Arms and Rainier arms are my two preferred sites for parts. Bravo Company USA also has a strong reputation but often seems to be out of stock on various items.

In terms of solid brands for parts: LMT, daniel defense, bravo company usa, spikes tactical, all have pretty solid reputations. Daniel defense makes great barrels and their lite rail is the best rail system on the market IMO. The BCM gunfighter charging handle is a worthwhile upgrade as well in my opinion.

The big thing I always reccomend is go lightweight: barrels, rails, butt stock. Especially if you are putting an optic on as they tend to be heavy.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

So anyways i want to start an AR build .... So i was hoping maybe you guys can point me into the right direction amd where to start as in good brands ect...

Lot's of experience and opinions out there, but here's a good place to start reading about brands...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/124511-AR15-s-Who-makes-the-best-ones-and-why

The next question will be where to buy the parts... Some of that is covered in the above thread, but you should also search for key words like LPK - Lower parts kits, etc and that will yield ton's of advice.
Have Fun with Your Build!

Thx for the advice all this info has been a huge help in that much closer to getting started...all i need is my ltc which should be in the mail...its been about 7 months :( guess they dont want ppl haveing guns lol

ar15.com under the equipment exchange- ar-15 lower. Ive been looking for complete lowers for a while and found a guy in NH who seemed to have some good prices. Im getting a Rock River Arms complete lower with national match 2-stage trigger and pinned stock for $309. It should pair up nice to my newly aquired HK MR556 upper.

Where you will save money is that when you build you ideally wont have any leftover parts. DSG Arms and Rainier arms are my two preferred sites for parts. Bravo Company USA also has a strong reputation but often seems to be out of stock on various items.

In terms of solid brands for parts: LMT, daniel defense, bravo company usa, spikes tactical, all have pretty solid reputations. Daniel defense makes great barrels and their lite rail is the best rail system on the market IMO. The BCM gunfighter charging handle is a worthwhile upgrade as well in my opinion.

The big thing I always reccomend is go lightweight: barrels, rails, butt stock. Especially if you are putting an optic on as they tend to be heavy.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I have an AR that i built with a daniel defense barrel... I love it!!! Great accuracy! It was like 350 for the 16" barrel and front sight.

Thx for the advice all this info has been a huge help in that much closer to getting started...all i need is my ltc which should be in the mail...its been about 7 months :( guess they dont want ppl haveing guns lol

You should prob start calling people and see whats up with that!! But u could start collecting some parts... But i would make sure ur goin to get ur ltc so u dont waste ur money.

The link sent red flags and sirens. Be warned.

-Proud to be a licensed plumber most days, wish I was a shoemaker on others.

You can hunt around and build a ar for cheaper then buying one with all the parts you liked .
My first build I lucked out and built a piston carbine 16" for around 600$

My second build is a dmr build and its gonna cost around the same price .

Both builds I could of bought rifles for about the same price. The only different is my builds used higher end barrels and minor parts .

Like my build used stag/bcm/yhm parts vs a dpms rifle. I just took my time and waited for deals.

Any one ever use this or deal with the maker? I find it to be pretty use full. Mako M4/AR-15 Survival Buttstock w/Built in Magazine Carrier & Mag - Impact Guns

Most of what Mako does is sell products made in Israel. The quality seems good and you would expect they know their weapon systems. I tend to stay away form things that seem too gimicky. I can see it being handy to have a mag on the rifle when you grab it, but I think I will stick to Magpul for most of my stocks.

If you build it all from brownells you'll over pay vs hunting around for parts. They parts check off list helps but buying a lower parts kit is alot cheaper then buying each part by it self .

Hello,
along the same lines I have a couple AR's I purchased but am really interested in building a retro AR not sure of models although I have done some reading. Basically older style with Fixed handle, Solid stock and the triangle forestock. I see plenty of places to buy parts but looking for these older ones. Any suggestions or existing threads ?

Hello,
along the same lines I have a couple AR's I purchased but am really interested in building a retro AR not sure of models although I have done some reading. Basically older style with Fixed handle, Solid stock and the triangle forestock. I see plenty of places to buy parts but looking for these older ones. Any suggestions or existing threads ?

If you search for 'retro AR' you should turn some of the existing threads up.... like

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/equipment/52754-retro-ar-help-put-together-shopping-list.html

Check AR15.com as well - they have a subforum for retro builds.

The biggest driver is how exact you want your build to match the original design. The simplest, but not cheap method would be to buy a Colt SP-1 preban. It's the AR-15 version of the M16s Colt was building, and other than not being full auto will be exactly what you are looking for.

If that isn't in your budget, you need to determine how close a copy you're willing to spend for. If a solid stock, A1 sight and carry handle upper receiver and the triangle handguards are all you are interested in, it's simple. Numrich probably still has A1 stock & handguard sets, and the A1 uppers are usually easy to find. If you want to go closer than that, the co$t$ increa$e very fa$t. My recommendation would be to look at what changed in the progression of M16 - M16A1 - M16A2 - M4 - M16A4, and which of those features you want, or can skip; and then start parts hunting.

As an example, I shoot lefty, and will never own an upper without a built in brass deflector again, no matter how 'original' it is.

That's Awesome and puts me in the right direction..... and the way you explain it its probably the Retro look and feel..... Then if I get more adventuress later I would look to putting together something Authentic.

Many Thanks

Hello,

Also Sarco is a really good resource for parts to put together a retro rifle. Here is a link to their page with AR-15 parts:

AR-15 / M16

They have old handguards and other parts. Sometimes they have retro uppers and everything else. They also have the M16 part sets for fairly cheap if you want to just buy that.

If you want a lightweight 20" barrel, get in line. They are pretty much impossible to find right now. But it sounds like you'd be ok with just an A2 profile, so you should be able to find that.

I've got 95% of the parts to build a Colt 602, almost all legit cosmetically, but now I'm at a roadblock. Can't find a 20" lightweight barrel, or a proper upper for a 602. I'm backordered on Nodak, but they aren't sure when or if they'll ever get any again (forging issues). Has to be no forward assist, no shell deflector and I'm not sure anyone else even makes one like that so I'm just sitting and waiting with like $700 in retro parts in a box.

Put this build off long enough now that parts are readily available....I have a rock river arms lover with RRA parts kit but I just ordered a few jp enterprise yellow springs along with a few 10rd pmags... any 1 use them 10 rounders yet? But anyways I also have a Spikes tac. Upper comming in. So now my question is what is a fun caliber other then the .223/5.56? Im also reloading but not sure I want to start reloading for the 300 aac blackout amd the .308 is going to be my next build since its a diff lower anu others out there that you guys like in the ar platform?

Back
Top Bottom