• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Bolt Firing Pin Retaining Pin Upgrade

I have a stock pre-ban colt 6700 match hbar (I want to keep her as stock as possible). I'm planning on a full bolt dis-assembly and detailing. Since the older style cotter pins are subject to failure and jamming the bolt in recoil, I was considering upgrading to a solid cross bar retaining pin. It seems like these are simply a drop in and flare replacement. Has anyone done this and have a recommendation on a replacement (DPMS, KNS, ???). In looking for a replacement I also realized that I should also keep an oh-crap part kit like this: http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar...colt-mfg-ar-15-ulitmate-repair-kit-detail.htm

Last edited:
All I use is the cotter pins. As far as I know, the military is still using them. Never had a problem, but I think of them as disposable and chuck them when I think they are a little too chewed up.

My AR-10 has solid pins. Have not had a problem with them either but have not fired as many rounds through it as the AR-15.

Spare parts kits are a very good idea. I have lots of parts now that I have accumulated over time and builds, but the first parts I had came from a Bushmaster field kit. You might want to add some of the detent balls that go in the sight. Off the top of my head I can't remember the size. I got a package of 100 stainless steel balls from Enco for something ridiculous like six bucks. If you don't ever take the sights apart you probably wont need them though.

B

Last edited:
I have a stock pre-ban colt 6700 match hbar (I want to keep her as stock as possible). I'm planning on a full bolt dis-assembly and detailing. Since the older style cotter pins are subject to failure and jamming the bolt in recoil, I was considering upgrading to a solid cross bar retaining pin. It seems like these are simply a drop in and flare replacement. Has anyone done this and have a recommendation on a replacement (DPMS, KNS, ???). In looking for a replacement I also realized that I should also keep an oh-crap part kit like this: http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar...colt-mfg-ar-15-ulitmate-repair-kit-detail.htm

What does a "full bolt disassembly and detailing" consist of? The cotter pins are fine. As long as their to spec they arnt going to be a big if any source of malfunctions. If your going to do anything to your bolt, upgrade your extractor or extractor spring, dependent on the condition of your extractor.

Actually, the solid style pin was part of the original design of the AR.
I had a standard cotter pin break on me - not sure about the round count at that point. I noticed it during the bolt disassembly and promptly replaced it.
Spares are a good thing to have. I also have one of those solid fprp's they work well, and a drop in replacement.

What does a "full bolt disassembly and detailing" consist of? The cotter pins are fine. As long as their to spec they arnt going to be a big if any source of malfunctions. If your going to do anything to your bolt, upgrade your extractor or extractor spring, dependent on the condition of your extractor.

A full bolt dis-assembly and detailing entails pulling the aforementioned cotter pin, which releases the rest of the parts in the bolt, then de-gunking the mix.

My colt has the original cotter pin in it, and I've poured thousands of rounds through the thing and its still fine.

I wouldn't worry about it. Get more cotter pins if you're concerned. [grin]

-Mike

Let me guess, you heard about this new thingamajig that fixes a non-existent problem over at AR15.com. Right?

Nope... I don't hang w/ that crowd... can't afford the paranoia! I came up with non-existent problem on my own after cleaning my rifle and noticing a pretty ugly pin.

What do you mean by "older style cotter pins"? I have a brand new Colt and it uses a cotter pin. I seriously doubt it would ever break. I'd just replace it if it started to look worn or bent. How would a solid pin stay put in the hole? The good thing about the cotter pin is it supplies its own pressure so it stays put. BTW good link to the parts kit, I should pick up one of those.

Just a doughnut maker like the rest of you. A large majority of my cases are estate planning and trust work for parents with children suffering from severe mental illnesses and other disabilities and firearms work. Neither practice area is well known for making bank.

Back
Top Bottom