• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 barrels

So I am wanting to finish up my AR built and all i have left to get is a barrel, barrel nut and delta ring. I already have a carbine length gas tube.
I have noticed that some vendors do not specify the gas system length. is there a reason behind this, just an over sight or am i missing something obvious.
I have been looking at 14.5 and 16" barrels and wanted to be sure I got one that matched the gas tube i alreays have.

Any insight would be appreciated. Barrel recommendations also welcome.

Chet

I like the Rainier Arms Mountain line of barrels. They are now called the Medcon line.

One of the nice things about Rainier is you can search by gas length type. They also have some other nice manufacturers on there including a hammer forged Centurion double chromed for $325.

www.rainierarms.com

Last edited:
I like the Rainier Arms Mountain line of barrels. They are now called the Medcon line.

One of the nice things about Rainier is you can search by gas length type. They also have some other nice manufacturers on there including a hammer forged Centurion double chromed for $325.

www.rainierarms.com

+1 rainier arms has awesome barrels. The ultra match barrels are great and sub moa

What are you going to use the rifle for? How much do you want to spend? What twist are you looking for? What kind of ammo will you be using?
Just a plinker for the most part. 1/8 seems to be the happy medium from what I have seen. As far as ammo, i have a lot of the ZQI and Wolf gold at this point. Budget is not a real issue but I would like to keep it fairly inexpensive but I don't want junk either.

Thanks

What's your budget? You can get a 16" Anderson barrel from Brownells for $99. 5.56, 1:8 twist, carbine length gas system.

Generally the vendor will make it clear it is a mid length gas system specific barrel.

I have grown to like the Wilson Arms Barrels not wilson combat barrels...I buy mine through RRA.

I ended up buying a 14.5 1/9 ESS on the recommendation from someone at the range. It was cheap and he supposedly has a few and said they are fairly accurate. My Eyes suck so any barrel is probably better than me. Time will tell.

Yeah it would depend on your budget. If money is no object I would go with a white oak, Lilja, or Rainier arms ultra match. For the best bang for your buck, I feel that you can't go wrong with Rainier select or Black Hole Weaponry.

I have a barrel in 6.5 coming from them coming soon I hope, never used a rifle barrel with polygonal rifling before.

I used one of their 18" .308 barrels for my Mega MATEN build. Great barrel for the money. Usually just a hair under MOA for 5 shots if I do my part with factory match ammo. I think the rifling makes it easier to clean. I used this rifle out to 1000 yards successfully. I'm sure all their barrels are GTG.

Just a plinker for the most part. 1/8 seems to be the happy medium from what I have seen. As far as ammo, i have a lot of the ZQI and Wolf gold at this point. Budget is not a real issue but I would like to keep it fairly inexpensive but I don't want junk either.

Thanks

Yea, if you're not looking for nice groups, I'd stay 200 and under.

- - - Updated - - -

I ended up buying a 14.5 1/9 ESS on the recommendation from someone at the range. It was cheap and he supposedly has a few and said they are fairly accurate. My Eyes suck so any barrel is probably better than me. Time will tell.

good move for a plinker, hell it may surprise you.

Back
Top Bottom